Current:Home > InvestGoogle Maps sued by family of North Carolina man who drove off collapsed bridge following directions -Infinite Edge Learning
Google Maps sued by family of North Carolina man who drove off collapsed bridge following directions
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 02:12:27
A North Carolina woman blames Google Maps for the death her husband last year after he drove his car off a collapsed bridge following directions from the GPS service.
On the night of Sept. 30, 2022, medical device salesman Philip Paxson drowned after his vehicle plunged off a bridge in Hickory, North Carolina that collapsed in 2013, state highway patrol Master Trooper Jeffrey Swagger told USA TODAY last year.
In a negligence lawsuit filed against Google's parent company Alphabet Tuesday, Paxson's wife Alicia alleged that Google Maps directed him to cross the Snow Creek Bridge as he drove through an unfamiliar neighborhood heading home from his daughter's ninth birthday party.
The state troopers who found the body of the Navy veteran and father of two in an upside down and partially submerged truck said he drove off an unguarded edge crashing 20 feet below, the court filing states. The troopers added there were no warning signs or barriers present along the roadway, which wasn't repaired by the time of the incident.
Las Vegas arrest:Police arrest second teen in hit-and-run of police chief after viral video captures moment
"Our girls ask how and why their daddy died, and I'm at a loss for words they can understand because, as an adult, I still can't understand how those responsible for the GPS directions and the bridge could have acted with so little regard for human life," Alicia said in a news release.
The lawsuit also claims multiple private property management companies are responsible for the bridge and the adjoining land.
In the years leading up to Paxson's death, Google Maps had been notified several times by people urging Google to update its route information, the lawsuit states.
The lawsuit also features email records from a Hickory resident who alerted Google in September 2020 with their "suggest an edit feature" that the service was directing drivers over the collapsed bridge.
"We have the deepest sympathies for the Paxson family," a Google spokesperson said in a statement to USA TODAY. "Our goal is to provide accurate routing information in Maps and we are reviewing this lawsuit.”
Paxson's mother-in-law Linda McPhee Koeing said he was driving home on a "dark and rainy night" in an Oct. 3 Facebook post.
"The bridge had been destroyed … years ago and never repaired," Koeing wrote last year.
Investigating troopers said last year the road where the tragedy occurred is not roadway maintained by the North Carolina Department of Transportation.
"Purportedly, that portion of the roadway collapsed several years ago when a culvert washed away," Swagger wrote. "Previous barricades apparently and reportedly had been vandalized and removed."
Contributing: Natalie Neysa Alund
veryGood! (941)
Related
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Jackpots: A look at the top 10 Mega Millions, Powerball winners of all time
- Federal judge temporarily blocks plans for a power line in Mississippi River wildlife refuge
- Messi still injured. Teams ask to postpone Inter Miami vs. NY Red Bulls. Game will go on
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Who is Dan Schneider? The Nickelodeon 'golden boy' accused of abusive behavior in new doc
- Why Mauricio Umansky Doesn't Want to Ask Kyle Richards About Morgan Wade
- Princess Kate announces she has cancer in video message. What's next for the royal family?
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Orioles send Jackson Holliday, MLB's No. 1 prospect, to minor leagues
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Israel’s Netanyahu rebuffs US plea to halt Rafah offensive. Tensions rise ahead of Washington talks
- Princess Kate video: Watch royal's full announcement of cancer diagnosis
- MLB investigating allegations involving Shohei Ohtani, interpreter Ippei Mizuhari
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Kate, Princess of Wales, says she has cancer and is undergoing chemotherapy
- This week on Sunday Morning (March 24)
- West Virginia governor signs law removing marital assault exemption
Recommendation
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
Jack Gohlke joins ESPN's Pat McAfee after Oakland's historic March Madness win vs. Kentucky
With all the recent headlines about panels and tires falling off planes, is flying safe?
Israel’s Netanyahu rebuffs US plea to halt Rafah offensive. Tensions rise ahead of Washington talks
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
Relatives of Tyre Nichols, George Floyd and Eric Garner say lack of police reform is frustrating
This week on Sunday Morning (March 24)
Man pleads guilty in fatal kidnapping of 2-year-old Michigan girl in 2023