Current:Home > MarketsWill Sage Astor-Los Angeles public school board votes to ban student cellphone use on campus -Infinite Edge Learning
Will Sage Astor-Los Angeles public school board votes to ban student cellphone use on campus
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:10:12
The Los Angeles Unified School District Board of Education voted Tuesday to ban student cellphone usage on campuses during school hours, joining a growing number of school boards to take such action and becoming the largest district in the U.S. to do so.
The ban's purpose is to prevent the potentially negative impact that phones have on the mental health and well-being of students.
The vote, however, doesn't automatically mean the ban will be implemented as staff is still consulting with stakeholders and experts before specifics are set in stone.
"The phone-free school policy says from the moment students walk into class to the end of the day, they shouldn't have their phones," said LAUSD board member Nick Melvoin. "Let's have kids interact with one another, free from the distractions that we know are harming mental health, their academics."
The resolution by the board of the second largest school district in the U.S. cites research suggesting that students have less meaningful interactions with classmates and exhibit less propensity for learning when overly involved with their phones.
"Research indicates that excessive cell phone use impacts adolescents mental health and well-being and is associated with increased stress, anxiety, depression, sleep issues, feelings of aggression, and suicidal thoughts," said the Order of Business for Tuesday's meeting.
The proposal referenced other bans that have been implemented, including in Florida, where public schools began blocking student cellphone use during instructional time and prohibited access to social media while using district WiFi in 2023. Since then, districts in Oklahoma, Kansas, Vermont, Ohio, Louisiana and Pennsylvania have adopted similar restrictions, according to the LAUSD resolution.
Over the next four months, the district will develop a set of policies for social media and cell phone use during school hours on every LAUSD campus. The new policy would go into effect at the beginning of 2025.
Some parents have voiced opposition to a ban, noting that they would prefer their children to have access to their phones in the event of an emergency.
"They should have it for protection once they leave the school campus," said Regina Schoetz, an LAUSD parent who said she partially agrees with the motion, but doesn't think that the ultimate decision should fall on the district.
"I don't think there should be a big ban on [cellphones] or lock them away," she said. "I think it's up to the parent."
Melvoin says that the latest policy update to cellphone usage was implemented in 2011 and only calls for no phones during class time.
On Tuesday, California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced his own plans on the topic, citing the mental health risks of social media on children.
"As the Surgeon General affirmed, social media is harming the mental health of our youth," Newsom said in a statement. "I look forward to working with the Legislature to restrict the use of smartphones during the school day. When children and teens are in school, they should be focused on their studies — not their screens."
veryGood! (49)
Related
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Sheila Jackson Lee, longtime Texas congresswoman, dies at 74
- Arike Ogunbowale and Caitlin Clark lead WNBA All-Stars to 117-109 win over U.S. Olympic team
- Pig transplant research yields a surprise: Bacon safe for some people allergic to red meat
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Japanese gymnastics captain out of Paris Olympics for drinking alcohol, smoking
- Secret Service chief noted a ‘zero fail mission.’ After Trump rally, she’s facing calls to resign
- Meet some of the world’s cleanest pigs, raised to grow kidneys and hearts for humans
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- South Sudan nearly beat the US in an Olympic tuneup. Here’s how it happened
Ranking
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Horoscopes Today, July 20, 2024
- The Secret Service acknowledges denying some past requests by Trump’s campaign for tighter security
- What is Microsoft's blue screen of death? Here's what it means and how to fix it.
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Why Caitlin Clark wasn't in WNBA 3-point contest tonight: 'I need a break'
- Kamala Harris Breaks Silence on Joe Biden's Presidential Endorsement
- Horoscopes Today, July 19, 2024
Recommendation
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
4 Dallas firefighters injured as engine crashes off bridge, lands on railway below
Biden campaign won't sugarcoat state of 2024 race but denies Biden plans exit
Seven Spokane police officers, police dog hurt in high-speed crash with suspects' car
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
South Sudan nearly beat the US in an Olympic tuneup. Here’s how it happened
Pig transplant research yields a surprise: Bacon safe for some people allergic to red meat
Delta Air Lines says cancellations continue as it tries to restore operations after tech outage