Current:Home > MarketsNASCAR driver Ryan Preece gets medical clearance to return home after terrifying crash at Daytona -Infinite Edge Learning
NASCAR driver Ryan Preece gets medical clearance to return home after terrifying crash at Daytona
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 23:56:57
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — NASCAR driver Ryan Preece, whose car rolled about a dozen times during a terrifying crash at Daytona International Speedway, was on his way home about 12 hours later after being discharged from a hospital Sunday.
Stewart-Haas Racing said Preece was headed back to North Carolina after getting clearance from doctors at Halifax Health Medical Center. The team earlier said Preece was “awake, alert and mobile” and “had been communicating with family and friends.”
The 32-year-old Preece was able to climb out of his mangled No. 41 Ford on Saturday night with help before emergency workers put him on a gurney and into an ambulance. He initially went to the track’s infield care center before being transported to Halifax Health for overnight observation.
Preece tweeted about two hours after the race, posting: “If you want to be a race car driver, you better be tough. ... I’m coming back.”
Preece and SHR teammate Chase Briscoe made contact coming out of Turn 4, and Preece’s car turned hard left and then went into an uncontrollable barrel roll as soon as it slid from the asphalt to the infield grass. The car came to a halt on all four tires, with some minor damage to the roll cage.
Preece being able to climb out with help was a testament to NASCAR’s Next Gen car, which is considered the safest iteration in its 75-year history.
The car was roundly criticized following its debut in 2022 because rear-impact collisions wreaked havoc on drivers. Kurt Busch of 23XI Racing suffered a life-changing concussion during a qualifying crash at Pocono Raceway last summer, and Hendrick Motorsports driver Alex Bowman missed five races because of a concussion.
Multiple other drivers complained about the violence felt during what they considered routine hits and wondered if they too had suffered head trauma.
NASCAR spent much of last year and the offseason testing and tweaking its car to try to limit the G-forces delivered to drivers. The changes were welcomed, resulting in considerably fewer missed races and no reported concussions in 2023.
Busch, meanwhile, has yet to return to racing and formally retired from the Cup Series Saturday at Daytona. The 45-year-old Busch held back tears as he called it quits, saying his “body is just having a battle with Father Time.”
Busch added that he’s dealt with arthritis and gout while trying to shake lingering effects of a brain injury that rocked stock car racing a year ago.
Preece’s accident harkened memories of Ryan Newman’s harrowing wreck in the 2020 Daytona 500. Newman was able to walk out of the hospital days later, another testament to NASCAR safety improvements made since Dale Earnhardt’s death on the final lap of the 2001 Daytona 500.
___
AP auto racing: https://apnews.com/hub/auto-racing
veryGood! (81)
Related
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Ex-Peruvian intelligence chief pleads guilty to charges in 1992 massacre of six farmers
- Tens of thousands of rape victims became pregnant in states with abortion bans, study estimates
- The RNC will meet privately after Trump allies pull resolution to call him the ‘presumptive nominee’
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Judge denies Cher temporary conservatorship she’s seeking over son, but the issue isn’t dead yet
- Federal Reserve is likely to open door to March rate cut without providing clear signal
- Seattle Mariners get Jorge Polanco from Minnesota Twins in five-player trade
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Illinois election board to consider whether to boot Trump from ballot over insurrection amendment
Ranking
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Under bombing in eastern Ukraine and disabled by illness, an unknown painter awaits his fate
- Surviving Scandoval: Relive Everything That's Happened Since Vanderpump Rules Season 10
- Officials say 1 policeman, 6 insurgents killed as rebels launch rocket attacks in southwest Pakistan
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- With police stops in the spotlight, NYC council is expected to override mayor on transparency bill
- At trial, NRA leader LaPierre acknowledges he wrongly expensed private flights, handbag for wife
- 49ers will need more than ladybugs and luck to topple Chiefs in the Super Bowl
Recommendation
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
Former state senator announces run for North Dakota’s lone US House seat
Good luck charm? A Chiefs flag is buried below Super Bowl host Allegiant Stadium in Vegas
'Feud: Capote vs. The Swans' is set to premiere: Date, time, where to watch and stream
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
King Charles III discharged days after procedure for enlarged prostate
Kidnapping suspect killed, 2 deputies wounded in gunfire exchange after pursuit, officials say
Indiana lawmakers vote to let some state officials carry handguns on Capitol grounds