Current:Home > ContactFormer state senator accused of spending COVID-19 relief loan on luxury cars -Infinite Edge Learning
Former state senator accused of spending COVID-19 relief loan on luxury cars
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 23:35:24
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — A former state senator was accused Wednesday of lying in order to get a COVID-19 relief loan for his casino and using the money to buy luxury cars for himself and his wife, a Republican leader in the New Hampshire House.
The allegations against former Sen. Andy Sanborn were announced by the attorney general’s office, which reviews the owners of charitable gaming businesses every five years. Sanborn owns the Concord Casino within The Draft Sports Bar and Grill in Concord and is seeking to open a much larger venue a few miles away, but the state lottery commission is now moving to permanently ban him from operating any such business.
The commission gave Sanborn 10 days to request a hearing. In the meantime, federal authorities have been notified, and the state has begun a criminal investigation, said Attorney General John Formella.
“This case highlights the importance of law enforcement’s role in keeping illegal activity out of New Hampshire’s charitable gaming industry,” he said in a statement. “Our obligation to protect the public demands that we take action against any person who is found to have used their regulated casino to enrich themselves with fraudulently obtained taxpayer funds.”
Sanborn, of Bedford, served four terms in the state Senate before unsuccessfully running for Congress in 2018. His wife, Laurie Sanborn, is in her 7th term in the House, where she serves as speaker pro tempore and chair of the Ways and Means Committee. Neither responded to emails seeking comment Wednesday; Laurie Sanborn’s phone was not accepting new voicemail messages.
According to the investigation, Sanborn fraudulently obtained $844,000 in funding from the Small Business Administration between December 2021 and February 2022. Casinos and charitable gaming facilities weren’t eligible for such loans, but Sanborn omitted his business name, “Concord Casino,” from his application and listed his primary business activity as “miscellaneous services.”
He’s accused of spending $181,000 on two Porsche race cars and $80,000 on a Ferrari for his wife. Sanborn also paid himself more than $183,000 for what he characterized as rent for his Concord properties, the attorney general said.
In June, the Concord Planning Board approved his proposal to build a 24,000-square-foot (2,230-square-meter) casino and restaurant, with the possibility of adding a hotel and event center. According to the Concord Monitor, the board had been considering the proposal for months when Sanborn forced a vote despite some members’ concerns about a lack of public vetting.
Rep. Matt Wilhelm, the House Democratic leader, said the attorney general’s report was deeply concerning and called on House Speaker Sherm Packard to remove Laurie Sanborn from a commission studying charitable gaming laws. House Republican leaders did not respond to a request for comment.
veryGood! (95723)
Related
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Where are the best places to grab a coffee? Vote for your faves
- Was Becky Bliefnick's killer a shadowy figure seen on a bike before and after her murder?
- NY woman who fatally shoved singing coach, age 87, is sentenced to more time in prison than expected
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Checking in With Maddie Ziegler and the Rest of the Dance Moms Cast
- Ryder Cup getting chippy as Team USA tip their caps to Patrick Cantlay, taunting European fans
- Syrian Kurdish fighters backed by US troops say they’ve captured a senior Islamic State militant
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Latest search for remains of the Tulsa Race Massacre victims ends with seven sets of remains exhumed
Ranking
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Senate confirms Mississippi US Attorney, putting him in charge of welfare scandal prosecution
- What would it mean if PEPFAR — the widely hailed anti-HIV effort — isn't reauthorized?
- Disney, DeSantis legal fights ratchet up as company demands documents from Florida governor
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Burglar recalls Bling Ring's first hit at Paris Hilton's home in exclusive 'Ringleader' clip
- Michael Oher's Conservatorship With Tuohy Family Officially Terminated
- Disney Plus announces crackdown on password sharing in Canada
Recommendation
Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
On the brink of a government shutdown, the Senate tries to approve funding but it’s almost too late
What was the longest government shutdown in U.S. history?
73-year-old adventurer, Air Force specialists set skydiving record over New Mexico
NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
Jared Goff fires back at Ryan Fitzpatrick over 'Poor Man's Matt Ryan' comment
Baltimore Archdiocese says it will file for bankruptcy before new law on abuse lawsuits takes effect
U2 prepares to open new Las Vegas residency at cutting-edge venue Sphere