Current:Home > MyActivision Blizzard to pay $54 million to settle California state workplace discrimination claims -Infinite Edge Learning
Activision Blizzard to pay $54 million to settle California state workplace discrimination claims
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 04:03:11
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Activision Blizzard has agreed to pay about $54 million to settle discrimination claims brought by California’s civil rights agency on behalf of women employed by the video game maker.
The settlement, which is subject to court approval, resolves allegations that the maker of Call of Duty, Overwatch, World of Warcraft and other video games “discriminated against women at the company, including denying promotion opportunities and paying them less than men for doing substantially similar work,” the California Civil Rights Department announced late Friday.
Allegations of workplace discrimination helped drag down Activision’s stock price in 2021, paving the way for Microsoft’s eventual takeover bid in January 2022. The software giant, which owns the Xbox gaming system, closed its $69 billion deal to buy Activision in October after fending off global opposition from antitrust regulators and rivals.
California’s civil rights agency sued Santa Monica-based Activision Blizzard in July 2021, alleging that female employees faced constant sexual harassment, that few women were named to leadership roles and that when they were, they earned less salary, incentive pay and total compensation than male peers.
Employees spoke up about harassment and discrimination, signing petitions criticizing the company for its defensive reaction to the lawsuit and staging a walkout.
Under the terms of the settlement, women who worked for the company between Oct. 12, 2015, and Dec. 31, 2020, either as hires or independent contractors, may be eligible for compensation. About $45.75 million of the settlement amount has been set aside for such payouts, the state agency said.
Activision Blizzard also agreed to take steps to ensure “fair pay and promotion practices” at the company.
“We appreciate the importance of the issues addressed in this agreement and we are dedicated to fully implementing all the new obligations we have assumed as part of it,” Activision Blizzard said in a statement Saturday.
The company also noted that the California Civil Rights Department agreed to file an amended complaint that withdraws sexual harassment allegations.
The settlement agreement declares that “no court or any independent investigation has substantiated any allegations” of systemic or widespread sexual harassment at Activision Blizzard, nor claims that the company’s board of directors and CEO acted improperly or ignored or tolerated a culture of harassment, retaliation or discrimination.
In September 2021, Activision settled sexual harassment and discrimination claims brought by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, agreeing to create an $18 million fund to compensate people who were harassed or discriminated against.
And earlier this year, the company agreed to pay $35 million to settle Securities and Exchange Commission charges that it failed to maintain controls to collect and assess workplace complaints with regard to disclosure requirements and violated a federal whistleblower protection rule. In paying the settlement, Activision neither admitted nor denied the SEC’s findings and agreed to a cease-and-desist order.
veryGood! (3439)
Related
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Eddie Murphy and Paige Butcher Get Married in Caribbean Wedding
- Eminem Takes Aim at Sean “Diddy” Combs, References Cassie Incident in New Song
- Beyoncé resurges on Billboard charts as 'Cowboy Carter' re-enters Top 10 on 5 charts
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Archaeologists unearth 4,000-year-old temple and theater in Peru
- Hospitality workers fired after death of man outside Milwaukee Hyatt
- Olympic Moments That Ring True as Some of the Most Memorable in History
- Trump's 'stop
- Things to know about heat deaths as a dangerously hot summer shapes up in the western US
Ranking
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- 375-pound loggerhead sea turtle returns to Atlantic Ocean after 3 months of rehab in Florida
- Historically Black Cancer Alley town splits over a planned grain terminal in Louisiana
- Chicago exhibition center modifying windows to prevent bird strikes after massive kill last year
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Poland’s centrist government suffers defeat in vote on liberalizing abortion law
- Georgia state tax collections finish more than $2 billion ahead of projections, buoying surplus
- Pregnant Lea Michele Reunites With Scream Queens Costar Emma Roberts in Hamptons Pic
Recommendation
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
Alec Baldwin and Wife Hilaria Cry in Court After Judge Dismisses Rust Shooting Case
Man who plotted to murder TV host Holly Willoughby sentenced to life: Reports
Chiefs star Patrick Mahomes, wife Brittany announce they're expecting third child
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
Eddie Murphy and Paige Butcher Get Married in Caribbean Wedding
World’s first hydrogen-powered commercial ferry set to operate on San Francisco Bay, officials say
US Navy pilots come home after months of shooting down Houthi missiles and drones