Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:Mexico’s hurricane reconstruction plans prioritize military barracks, owners left to rebuild hotels -Infinite Edge Learning
Surpassing:Mexico’s hurricane reconstruction plans prioritize military barracks, owners left to rebuild hotels
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:18:49
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico’s government laid out hurricane reconstruction plans Tuesday for the resort of Acapulco that seem to give as much priority to building military barracks as re-opening hotels.
President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said he hoped owners would be Surpassingable to reopen as many as 35 of the resort’s 377 hotels by March or April, following the destruction of Hurricane Otis, the Category 5 storm that smashed into the city Oct. 25.
But his administration plans to build 38 new barracks in the resort for the quasi-military National Guard, in addition to five that already exist there. Each barracks will house 250 Guard troopers, who are recruited from or trained by the army.
That would mean between 9,500 and 10,000 Guard troops would be stationed permanently in the resort, about the same number sent there following the hurricane, which caused at least 48 deaths.
In the days following the storm’s Oct. 25 landfall, Guard troops proved incapable of stopping days of ransacking that stripped every large- and medium-sized store in Acapulco to the walls.
López Obrador has promised a barracks in every neighborhood of the resort, which has also been hit by nearly 20 years of drug cartel violence. The president has given the armed forces almost exclusive control of the fight against the cartels and has proposed placing the National Guard under army command.
López Obrador has refused to consider government loans or grants to the hotels, most of which had windows or walls blown out. Many were reduced to their skeletal concrete or steel frames.
Instead, he said the government would pay half the interest on reconstruction loans from private banks. But with no cash flow, many hotel owners doubt they can qualify for big private bank loans.
López Obrador has also refused to earmark specific funds in the 2024 budget for reconstruction efforts, a move that has led to demonstrations by a protest caravan of Acapulco residents who drove to Mexico City this week.
Evodio Velázquez, an opposition party member and former mayor of Acapulco, said the demonstrators were demanding a rebuilding program roughly four times the size of the $3.4 billion plan the president announced last week.
“We want dignified treatment for Acapulco in the federal budget,” Velázquez said Monday.
The protesters camped out Tuesday in tents outside Mexico City’s National Palace, where López Obrador lives and works.
Much of the $3.4 billion aid program will go to making payments of $2,000-$3,000 per damaged home, setting up temporary job programs and providing free electricity for residents for several months. The government is also handing out 250,000 appliances like refrigerators and fans and providing weekly food packages for each family.
Some stores in Acapulco began tentatively re-opening this week, but they reportedly stocked only basic goods and let in only 20 customers at a time.
The federal civil defense agency tallied 220,000 homes that were damaged by the hurricane, which ripped the tin roofs off thousands of homes.
veryGood! (46)
Related
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- ACLU lawsuit challenges New Hampshire’s voter proof-of-citizenship law
- New reality show 'The Summit' premieres: What climber was the first to be eliminated?
- How bad is Tesla's full self driving feature, actually? Third-party testing bodes ill
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- San Francisco stunner: Buster Posey named Giants president, replacing fired Farhan Zaidi
- Man charged with attempting to assassinate Trump will appear in court
- Gymshark Sale: Save 70% on Workout Gear With $20 Leggings, $12 Sports Bras, $14 Shorts & More
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Wisconsin city replaces ballot drop box after mayor carted it away
Ranking
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Dikembe Mutombo, NBA Center Legend, Dead at 58 After Cancer Battle
- 'Baby Reindeer' had 'major' differences with real-life story, judge says
- 8 in 10 menopausal women experience hot flashes. Here's what causes them.
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Man accused of killing his grandmother with hammer in New Hampshire
- Julianne Hough Claps Back at Critics Who Told Her to Eat a Cheeseburger After Sharing Bikini Video
- Helene death toll climbs to 90 | The Excerpt
Recommendation
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
Movie armorer’s conviction upheld in fatal ‘Rust’ set shooting by Alec Baldwin
Ariana Grande Claps Back at the Discourse Around Her Voice, Cites Difference for Male Actors
'Surreal' scope of devastation in Asheville, North Carolina: 'Our hearts are broken'
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Former Tennessee Gov. Winfield Dunn, who left dentistry to win as a first-time candidate, dies at 97
Fed Chair Powell says the US economy is in ‘solid shape’ with more rate cuts coming
Angelina Jolie Drops Legal Case Over 2016 Brad Pitt Plane Incident