Current:Home > reviewsWoman accuses Bill Cosby of drugging, sexually assaulting her in the '80s -Infinite Edge Learning
Woman accuses Bill Cosby of drugging, sexually assaulting her in the '80s
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 04:41:20
A woman who says she considered Bill Cosby as "a father figure" has accused him of sexually abusing her in the 1980s.
In a lawsuit filed in New York Friday, Morganne Picard accused the actor and comedian of providing her with drinks that had been drugged, then raping or sexually assaulting her on multiple occasions between 1987 and 1990 while she was blacked out. According to the complaint, Cosby had invited Picard to the set of "The Cosby Show" in the late '80s "under the pretense" that he wanted to meet her and help her singing career by getting her a role on the show.
Picard says she spent time with him as well as his family. When she drank beverages he provided her, she blacked out "on multiple occasions," she alleges.
"Based on the relationship that Cosby fostered with Ms. Picard and his wholesome image as 'America’s Dad,' Ms. Picard assumed that the extreme effects of the beverages were attributable to the effects of alcohol, rather than to drugs placed in the beverages from Cosby," the lawsuit reads.
"On one such occasion, Ms. Picard drank a beverage provided to her by Cosby at his home, and awoke to find herself in a hotel room, naked, with soreness in her vagina. Upon information and belief, when Ms. Picard was physically incapacitated by the unknown intoxicant, Cosby undressed and raped her, without her consent and when she did not have the capacity to consent."
Picard's attorney, Jordan Rutsky, said in a statement to USA TODAY, "Today was the first step towards obtaining some measure of justice for Ms. Picard. We want to thank New York State for passing the Adult Survivors Act, which allows Ms. Picard and other people who were sexually abused as adults to bring a civil lawsuit until November 23, 2023, regardless of when the abuse occurred."
"We look forward to holding Mr. Cosby and his enablers responsible for their actions," Rutsky added.
Bill Cosby's rep says he denies all allegations
Cosby's representative, Andrew Wyatt, told USA TODAY in a statement that "It is disappointing to see that these alleged distractors are able to monetize false allegations against Mr. Cosby. Even more disturbing, the Merson Law Firm (New York City) decided to incite this lynching of this American Citizen. I am reminded of a photo a man hanging from a tree burning, as the plantation owner hosted a barbecue and party for the slaves as this Black Man was being roasted alive, without the sheer facts of any evidence, proof, truth or facts."
Wyatt said that accusers such as Picard are "fueling false narratives for the potential of media fame and greed. Mr. Cosby continues to invoke his Constitutional Rights by saying, 'Not Guilty' and vehemently denying all of these alleged allegations waged against him."
The companies that produced and aired "The Cosby Show," which ran for eight seasons on NBC between 1984 to 1992, were also listed as defendants in the case. Picard accuses them of negligence as "they knew or should have known that Cosby was sexually assaulting, assaulting, and battering women, but failed to stop it, investigate it, orprotect Ms. Picard and other women," according to the lawsuit.
USA TODAY has reached out to representatives for NBCUniversal, film studio Kaufman Astoria Studios and production company Carsey-Werner Company for comment.
Other lawsuits across the U.S. accuse Cosby of assault
The 86-year-old former “Cosby Show” star has now been accused of rape, sexual assault and sexual harassment by more than 60 women.
Most recently, in June, nine women accused Cosby of sexual assault in a lawsuit filed in federal court in Nevada, alleging that the actor drugged and assaulted them between 1979 and 1992. Earlier that month, a former Playboy model sued Cosby and accused him of drugging and sexually assaulting her and another woman at his home in 1969.
Cosby has denied all allegations involving sex crimes. He was the first celebrity tried and convicted in the #MeToo era — and spent nearly three years at a state prison near Philadelphia before a higher court threw out the conviction and released him in 2021.
Earlier this year, a Los Angeles jury awarded $500,000 to a woman who said Cosby sexually abused her at the Playboy Mansion when she was 16 in 1975.
If you are a survivor of sexual assault, you can call the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 800.656.HOPE (4673) or visit hotline.rainn.org/online and receive confidential support.
Contributing: The Associated Press
veryGood! (54577)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- A newspaper says video of Prince William and Kate should halt royal rumor mill. That’s a tall order
- Oprah Winfrey Influenced Me To Buy These 31 Products
- Missing Wisconsin toddler's blanket found weeks after he disappeared
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Men used AR-style rifles to kill protected wild burros in Mojave Desert, federal prosecutors say
- Chocolate is getting more expensive as the global cocoa supply faces a shortage
- Movie armorer challenges conviction in fatal shooting of cinematographer by Alec Baldwin
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- March Madness expert picks: Our bracket predictions for 2024 NCAA men's tournament
Ranking
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Krispy Kreme celebrates the arrival of spring by introducing 4 new mini doughnut flavors
- Free Rita's: Get complimentary Italian ice in honor of the first day of spring 2024
- Americans love pensions. Where did they go? Will they ever return?
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- US farms are increasingly reliant on contract workers who are acutely exposed to climate extremes
- Feds propose air tour management plan for Lake Mead National Recreation Area in Nevada and Arizona
- North West opens up about upcoming debut album: Everything you need to know
Recommendation
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
The average bonus on Wall Street last year was $176,500. That’s down slightly from 2022
Supreme Court opens new frontier for insurrection claims that could target state and local officials
University of Maryland lifts Greek life ban, hazing investigation into five chapters continues
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Powerball winning numbers for March 18, 2024 drawing: Jackpot rises to $687 million
North Korea resumes missile tests days after U.S., South Korea conclude military drills
Why 10 Things I Hate About You Actor Andrew Keegan Finally Addressed Cult Leader Claims