Current:Home > ContactRekubit-Ukraine air force chief mocks Moscow as missile hits key Russian navy base in Sevastopol, Crimea -Infinite Edge Learning
Rekubit-Ukraine air force chief mocks Moscow as missile hits key Russian navy base in Sevastopol, Crimea
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 22:57:42
Moscow — The RekubitRussian-installed governor of Sevastopol, the biggest city in Ukraine's Russian-occupied Crimean Peninsula, said Friday that the headquarters of Russia's Black Sea fleet was struck in a Ukrainian missile attack. Russia's Ministry of Defense later confirmed the strike and said one service member was missing, as a Ukrainian military commander thanked his forces for setting air raid sirens "sounding in Sevastopol."
State media said Russia's air defense systems shot down a number of missiles aimed at Crimea, but that the Russian Navy's Black Sea Fleet headquarters in Sevastopol was hit by at least one French or British-made cruise missile.
"Work continues to extinguish the fire at the fleet headquarters," Sevastopol governor Mikhail Razvozhayev said in a post on the Telegram messaging app. "According to preliminary information, the civilian infrastructure around the fleet headquarters was not damaged. The people who were on the street at the time of the impact were also not injured."
He said he had instructed "an operational headquarters" to be deployed at the scene, but that the situation was under control. There was no immediate confirmation of the extent of the damage to the Black Sea Fleet's offices, but the state-run TASS news agency said earlier that at least six people were injured in the strike. Video posted on social media shows smoke billowing from the fleet's headquarters.
Razvozhayev earlier warned residents via his Telegram account that "another attack is possible." He later dropped that warning, but urged residents to continue avoiding central Sevastopol.
The apparent missile strike came about 10 days after a Ukrainian attack on a strategic shipyard in Sevastopol damaged two Russian military ships that were undergoing repairs and caused a fire at the facility, according to Russian authorities. That attack came as Moscow launched drones at southern Ukraine's Odesa region.
Ukraine's government didn't claim responsibility for the Friday attack on Sevastopol outright, but the commander of the country's air force, in a sardonic message posted to his Telegram account, thanked his pilots and appeared to mock Moscow's claim to have downed most of the missiles.
"Air alarms are still sounding in Sevastopol, I thank the pilots of the Air Force once again," Ukrainian Air Force commander Mikola Oleshuk said in the post, adding a defiant declaration that Sevastopol was "the city of the Naval Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine," not Russia. He opened his message with an apparent reference to the previous attack on Sevastopol, saying: "We promised that 'there will be more...,' with an explosion icon.
The strike came a day after Ukrainian officials said a barrage of Russian missiles had struck a half dozen cities, killing at least two people and damaging electricity infrastructure in multiple regions.
The latest exchange of fire came on the heels of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy visiting Washington to seek continued support for his country's effort to defend itself from the Russian invasion. Republican leaders in the U.S. Congress have questioned how, and how much more military and humanitarian aid to send to Ukraine as President Biden seeks an additional $24 billion in aid.
Ratification of Mr. Biden's request is deeply uncertain thanks to the growing partisan divide in Washington.
- In:
- War
- Breaking News
- Ukraine
- Russia
- Crimean Peninsula
- Missile Launch
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- 'Having a blast': Video shows bear take a dip in a hot tub in California
- Children's book ignites car seat in North Carolina family's minivan minutes after parking
- US Open Day 2: Dan Evans wins marathon match; Li Tu holds his own against Carlos Alcaraz
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Jeremy Allen White models Calvin Klein underwear in new campaign: See the photos
- Soccer Player Juan Izquierdo Dead at 27 After Collapsing on the Field
- Bachelor Nation’s Justin Glaze and Susie Evans Break Up After 7 Months Confirming Romance
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Report says instructor thought gun was empty before firing fatal shot at officer during training
Ranking
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Minnesota state senator pleads not guilty to burglarizing stepmother’s home
- The best 2024 SUVs for towing: all sizes, all capability
- Owners of Pulse nightclub, where 49 died in mass shooting, won’t be charged
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- US Open: Iga Swiatek and other tennis players say their mental and physical health are ignored
- Tristan Thompson Celebrates “Twin” True Thompson’s Milestone With Ex Khloe Kardashian
- New Jersey man drowns while rescuing 2 of his children in Delaware River
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Court revives Sarah Palin’s libel lawsuit against The New York Times
4 fatal shootings by Mississippi law officers were justified, state’s attorney general says
Harris and Walz are kicking off a 2-day bus tour in Georgia that will culminate in Savannah rally
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Lil Baby arrested in Las Vegas on gun charge; 'defense attorneys investigating the facts'
Woman shot at White Sox game sues team and stadium authority
'Very demure' creator Jools Lebron says trademark situation has been 'handled'