Current:Home > ContactEthermac Exchange-UN Security Council approves sending a Kenya-led force to Haiti to fight violent gangs -Infinite Edge Learning
Ethermac Exchange-UN Security Council approves sending a Kenya-led force to Haiti to fight violent gangs
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 00:07:37
SAN JUAN,Ethermac Exchange Puerto Rico (AP) — The U.N. Security Council voted Monday to send a multinational force to Haiti led by Kenya to help combat violent gangs in the troubled Caribbean country.
The resolution drafted by the U.S. was approved with 13 votes in favor and two abstentions from Russia and China.
The resolution authorizes the force to deploy for one year, with a review after nine months. It would mark the first time a force is deployed to Haiti since a U.N.-approved mission nearly 20 years ago.
A deployment date has not been set, although U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken recently said a security mission to Haiti could deploy “in months.”
Meanwhile, Kenya’s Foreign Affairs Minister, Alfred Mutua, told the BBC that the force should already be in Haiti by Jan. 1, 2024, “if not before then.”
It wasn’t immediately clear how big the force would be. Kenya’s government has previously proposed sending 1,000 police officers. In addition, Jamaica, the Bahamas and Antigua and Barbuda also have pledged to send personnel.
Last month, the administration of U.S. President Joe Biden promised to provide logistics and $100 million to support the Kenyan-led force.
The representative of the Russian Federation, Vassily Nebenzia, said he does not have any objections in principle to the resolution, but said that sending an armed force to a country even at its request “is an extreme measure that must be thought through.”
He said multiple requests for details including the use of force and when it would be withdrawn “went unanswered” and criticized what he said was a rushed decision. “Authorizing another use of force in Haiti … is short-sighted” without the details sought by the Russian Federation, he said.
China’s representative, Zhang Jun, said he hopes countries leading the mission will hold in-depth consultations with Haitian officials on the deployment of the security force, adding that a “legitimate, effective, accountable government” needs to be in place in Haiti for any resolution to have effect.
He also said the resolution does not contain a feasible or credible timetable for the deployment of the force.
International intervention in Haiti has a complicated history. A U.N.-approved stabilization mission to Haiti that started in June 2004 was marred by a sexual abuse scandal and the introduction of cholera. The mission ended in October 2017.
Critics of Monday’s approved Kenyan-led mission also have noted that police in the east Africa country have long been accused of using torture, deadly force and other abuses. Top Kenyan officials visited Haiti in August as part of a reconnaissance mission as the U.S. worked on a draft of the resolution.
The vote comes nearly a year after Haitian Prime Minister Ariel Henry and 18 top government officials requested the immediate deployment of a foreign armed force as the government struggled to control gangs amid a surge in killings, rapes and kidnappings.
From January 1 until Aug. 15, more than 2,400 people in Haiti were reported killed, more than 950 kidnapped and another 902 injured, according to the most recent U.N. statistics.
veryGood! (414)
Related
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Rob Schneider criticizes Will Smith for slapping Chris Rock at 2022 Academy Awards
- Newly deciphered manuscript is oldest written record of Jesus Christ's childhood, experts say
- Tom Brady Reveals Summer Plans With His Kids Before Starting New NFL Career
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Ariana Grande Says She’s “Reprocessing” Her Experiences as a Child Actress
- Pamela Smart accepts responsibility in plotting 1990 murder of husband with teen lover
- Republican candidates for Utah’s open US House seat split on aid for Ukraine
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Minneapolis named happiest city in the U.S.
Ranking
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- 'Unfinished beef': Joey Chestnut, Takeru Kobayashi set for rematch in Netflix hot dog contest
- New Jersey’s top federal prosecutor testifies for government in Sen. Bob Menendez prosecution
- Kourtney Kardashian Reveals What She Gave Travis Barker on Their 3rd Sex Anniversary
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Newtown High graduates told to honor 20 classmates killed as first-graders ‘today and every day’
- Environmentalists urge US to plan ‘phasedown’ of Alaska’s key oil pipeline amid climate concerns
- Man convicted in killings of 8 from another Ohio family seeks new trial
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Joey Chestnut, Takeru Kobayashi to compete in Netflix competition
Dear E!, How Do I Avoid Dressing Like a Tourist? Here’s Your Guide To Fitting in With the Local Fashion
4 children in critical condition after shooting breaks out on Memphis interstate
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Jude Law Weighs In on Potential The Holiday Sequel
2 girls, ages 7 and 11, killed after ATV crashes in Wisconsin
Blue Cross of North Carolina Decided Against an Employee Screening of a Documentary That Links the State’s Massive Hog Farms to Public Health Ills