Current:Home > FinanceAlgosensey|Italian teenager Carlo Acutis to become first millennial Catholic saint after second miracle attributed to him -Infinite Edge Learning
Algosensey|Italian teenager Carlo Acutis to become first millennial Catholic saint after second miracle attributed to him
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 00:17:54
An Italian teenager who was informally known as "God's Influencer" for using his computer skills to spread the Catholic faith is set to become the first saint of the millennial generation, the Vatican announced Thursday.
Carlo Acutis died of leukemia in 2006 at the age of 15. Born in London, he grew up in Milan where he managed the website for his parish and later a Vatican-based academy. He also used his computer skills to create an online database of Eucharistic miracles around the world.
The teenager was beatified — the first step toward sainthood — in 2020 after one miracle was attributed to him. In that miracle, Acutis is credited with healing a Brazilian child of a congenital disease affecting his pancreas.
On Thursday, Pope Francis attributed a second miracle to Acutis during a meeting with the head of the Vatican's saint-making department, Cardinal Marcello Semararo.
The second miracle involved the healing of a university student in Florence who had a brain bleed after suffering head trauma, CBS News partner BBC News reported.
The attribution of a second miracle means Acutis can be elevated to sainthood, but the Vatican did not say when this would happen.
Acutis died in Monza, Italy. His body was moved to Assisi a year after his death and is on full display alongside other relics linked to him. He was also named a patron of last year's World Youth Day in Lisbon because of his "important role in evangelization through the internet," organizers of the event said at the time, Reuters reported.
The pope also advanced sainthood causes for six men and a woman.
- In:
- Pope Francis
- Religion
- Catholic Church
Lucia Suarez Sang is an associate managing editor at CBSNews.com. Previously, Lucia was the director of digital content at FOX61 News in Connecticut and has previously written for outlets including FoxNews.com, Fox News Latino and the Rutland Herald.
TwitterveryGood! (9)
Related
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Heavy fighting rages near main Gaza hospital as Netanyahu dismisses calls for cease-fire
- Biden says America’s veterans are ‘the steel spine of this nation’ as he pays tribute at Arlington
- What they want: Biden and Xi are looking for clarity in an increasingly difficult relationship
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Washington's Alphonzo Tuputala drops pick-six before goal line; Huskies respond with safety
- Tea and nickel on the agenda as Biden hosts Indonesian president
- Missile fire from Lebanon wounds a utility work crew in northern Israel as the front heats up
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Winston Watkins Jr., five-star recruit for 2025, decommits from Deion Sanders, Colorado
Ranking
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Barbie Secrets Revealed: All the Fantastic Behind-the-Scenes Bombshells
- The APEC summit is happening this week in San Francisco. What is APEC, anyway?
- Israel agrees to daily 4-hour humanitarian pauses in northern Gaza fighting
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- A flight expert's hot take on holiday travel: 'Don't do it'
- Secret Service agents protecting Biden’s granddaughter open fire when 3 people try to break into SUV
- A flight expert's hot take on holiday travel: 'Just don't do it'
Recommendation
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
Pain, fatigue, fuzzy thinking: How long COVID disrupts the brain
E-readers listen up! If you regret your choice, here's how to return an Audible book.
Part of Interstate 10 near downtown Los Angeles closed indefinitely until repairs made; motorists urged to take public transport
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Long walk to school: 30 years into freedom, many kids in South Africa still walk miles to class
She mapped out weddings in 3 states, crashed them, stole thousands in cash and is free again
After massive fire closes Los Angeles interstate, motorists urged to take public transport