Current:Home > reviewsIndexbit Exchange:Michigan man cleared of sexual assault after 35 years in prison -Infinite Edge Learning
Indexbit Exchange:Michigan man cleared of sexual assault after 35 years in prison
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 22:56:30
ALBION,Indexbit Exchange Mich. (AP) — A man accused of breaking into a home and sexually assaulting an 11-year-old girl in southwestern Michigan is out of prison after 35 years after authorities agreed that he was wrongly convicted.
Louis Wright’s convictions from 1988 were set aside by a judge Thursday at the request of the Calhoun County prosecutor and the attorney general’s office.
“New DNA testing excluded Mr. Wright as the perpetrator,” the attorney general’s office said.
The Cooley Law School Innocence Project, which represents Wright, said a false confession and a no-contest plea caused his decades of incarceration.
In 1988, police investigating the assault of a girl in Albion, 100 miles (160 kilometers) west of Detroit, settled on Wright as the suspect after an off-duty officer said he had been seen in the neighborhood.
Police said Wright confessed, though the interview was not recorded and he did not sign a confession, according to the Innocence Project.
“The victim was never asked to identify anyone in or outside of court,” the Innocence Project said.
Wright, now 65, eventually pleaded no-contest to the charges and was sentenced to 25 years to 50 years in prison. He subsequently sought to withdraw his plea, but the request was denied.
An email seeking additional comment from the Innocence Project wasn’t immediately answered Friday. It’s unclear why Wright decided to plead no-contest, which is treated as a guilty plea for sentencing purposes.
“Mr. Wright has always maintained his innocence,” the Innocence Project said in a written statement.
Prosecutor David Gilbert said the case is being reopened.
“There is no justice without truth. It applies to everyone,” he said.
Wright could be eligible for $1.75 million under a state law that grants $50,000 for each year spent in prison for a conviction overturned based on new evidence.
veryGood! (5953)
Related
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Horoscopes Today, September 7, 2024
- ‘I’m living a lie': On the streets of a Colorado city, pregnant migrants struggle to survive
- Waffle House CEO Walt Ehmer dies at 58 after a long illness
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band still rock, quake and shake after 50 years
- Missing California woman found alive after 12 days in the wilderness
- New Hampshire governor helps save man choking on lobster roll at seafood festival contest
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Texas is real No. 1? Notre Dame out of playoff? Five college football Week 2 overreactions
Ranking
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- The uproar around Francis Ford Coppola's ‘Megalopolis’ movie explained
- How many points did Caitlin Clark score today? She's closing in on rookie scoring record
- Trader Joe's viral mini tote bags returning soon
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- More Big Lots store locations closing as company files for bankruptcy and new owner takes over
- Bruce Springsteen’s Wife Patti Scialfa Shares Blood Cancer Diagnosis
- She ate a poppy seed salad just before giving birth. Then they took her baby away.
Recommendation
Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
Beyoncé shares another 'Cécred Sunday' video of her wash day hair routine
What to know about the video showing Tyre Nichols’ fatal beating by Memphis police officers
Extra private school voucher funding gets initial OK from North Carolina Senate
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Amy Adams and Marielle Heller put all of their motherhood experiences into ‘Nightbitch’
The Mormon church’s president, already the oldest in the faith’s history, is turning 100
Polaris Dawn: SpaceX targets new launch date for daring crewed mission