Current:Home > ScamsCharles Langston:Judge rules Breonna Taylor’s boyfriend caused her death, dismisses some charges against ex-officers -Infinite Edge Learning
Charles Langston:Judge rules Breonna Taylor’s boyfriend caused her death, dismisses some charges against ex-officers
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:29:52
LOUISVILLE,Charles Langston Ky. (AP) — A federal judge has thrown out major felony charges against two former Louisville officers accused of falsifying a warrant that led police to Breonna Taylor’s door before they fatally shot her.
U.S. District Judge Charles Simpson’s ruling declared that the actions of Taylor’s boyfriend, who fired a shot at police the night of the raid, were the legal cause of her death, not a bad warrant.
Federal charges against former Louisville Police Detective Joshua Jaynes and former Sgt. Kyle Meany were announced by U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland in 2022 during a high-profile visit to Louisville. Garland accused Jaynes and Meany, who were not present at the raid, of knowing they had falsified part of the warrant and put Taylor in a dangerous situation by sending armed officers to her apartment.
But Simpson wrote in the Tuesday ruling that “there is no direct link between the warrantless entry and Taylor’s death.” Simpson’s ruling effectively reduced the civil rights violation charges against Jaynes and Meany, which had carried a maximum sentence of life in prison, to misdemeanors.
The judge declined to dismiss a conspiracy charge against Jaynes and another charge against Meany, who is accused of making false statements to investigators.
When police carrying a drug warrant broke down Taylor’s door in March 2020, her boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, fired a shot that struck an officer in the leg. Walker said he believed an intruder was bursting in. Officers returned fire, striking and killing Taylor, a 26-year-old Black woman, in her hallway.
Simpson concluded that Walker’s “conduct became the proximate, or legal, cause of Taylor’s death.”
“While the indictment alleges that Jaynes and Meany set off a series of events that ended in Taylor’s death, it also alleges that (Walker) disrupted those events when he decided to open fire” on the police, Simpson wrote.
Walker was initially arrested and charged with attempted murder of a police officer, but that charge was later dropped after his attorneys argued Walker didn’t know he was firing at police.
An email message sent to the U.S. Justice Department seeking comment was not immediately returned Friday morning.
A third former officer charged in the federal warrant case, Kelly Goodlett, pleaded guilty in 2022 to a conspiracy charge and is expected to testify against Jaynes and Meany at their trials.
Federal prosecutors alleged Jaynes, who drew up the Taylor warrant, had claimed to Goodlett days before the warrant was served that he had “verified” from a postal inspector that a suspected drug dealer was receiving packages at Taylor’s apartment. But Goodlett knew that was false and told Jaynes the warrant did not yet have enough information connecting Taylor to criminal activity, prosecutors said. She added a paragraph saying the suspected drug dealer was using Taylor’s apartment as his current address, according to court records.
Two months later, when the Taylor shooting was attracting national headlines, Jaynes and Goodlett met in Jaynes’ garage to “get on the same page” before Jaynes talked to investigators about the Taylor warrant, court records said.
A fourth former officer, Brett Hankison, was also charged by federal prosecutors in 2022 with endangering the lives of Taylor, Walker and some of her neighbors when he fired into Taylor’s windows. A trial last year ended with a hung jury, but Hankison is schedule to be retried on those charges in October.
veryGood! (91694)
Related
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- One dead, at least two injured in stabbings at jail in Atlanta that is under federal investigation
- Woman's leg impaled by beach umbrella in Alabama
- Students with disabilities in Pennsylvania will get more time in school under settlement
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- North Dakota lawmakers take stock of the boom in electronic pull tabs gambling
- Tori Spelling Pens Tribute to Her and Dean McDermott’s “Miracle Baby” Finn on His 11th Birthday
- How Freddie Prinze Jr. and Sarah Michelle Gellar Managed to Pull Off the Impossible With Their Romance
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- 'Tragic': Critically endangered Amur tiger dies in 'freak accident' at Colorado zoo
Ranking
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- The Lineup for Freeform's 31 Nights of Halloween Is Here and It's Spooktacular
- Endangered sea turtle rehabilitated after rescue in Northern Wales, will return to the wild
- Hurricane Idalia's financial toll could reach $20 billion
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Meet Merman Mike, California's underwater treasure hunter and YouTuber
- Auto workers leader slams companies for slow bargaining, files labor complaint with government
- It’s joy mixed with sorrow as Ukrainian children go back to school in the midst of war
Recommendation
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
From 'Super Mario Bros.' to 'The Flash,' here are 15 movies you need to stream right now
Former basketball coach gets nearly 21-year sentence for producing child sex abuse material
A million readers, two shoe companies and Shaq: How teen finally got shoes for size 23 feet
B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
Lionel Messi will miss one Inter Miami game in September for 2026 World Cup qualifying
Ohio lawmaker stripped of leadership after a second arrest in domestic violence case
Grammy-winning British conductor steps away from performing after allegedly hitting a singer