Current:Home > MyBlake Lively, Ryan Reynolds and More Stars Donate $1 Million to Striking Actors Fund -Infinite Edge Learning
Blake Lively, Ryan Reynolds and More Stars Donate $1 Million to Striking Actors Fund
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 00:07:11
Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds are supporting their fellow actors.
The couple is among a handful of A-listers who each donated $1 million to the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) Foundation, which is providing emergency assistance to actors on strike.
Foundation president Courtney B. Vance announced Aug. 2 that the program has raised $15 million, including $1 million or more given from couples Reynolds and Lively; George and Amal Clooney; Luciana and Matt Damon; Hugh Jackman and Deborra-lee Furness; and Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck.
Other stars to contribute at least $1 million include Leonardo DiCaprio, Dwayne Johnson, Nicole Kidman, Julia Roberts, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Meryl Streep and Oprah Winfrey.
Vance said the Foundation is processing 30 times their usual number of applications for emergency aid and received 400 requests in the last week. Grants are typically offered up to $1,500 per person for members who "demonstrate they have been directly impacted by the work stoppage" and prove their financial need.
In a statement, Streep shared why she decided to give to the cause.
"I remember my days as a waiter, cleaner, typist, even my time on the unemployment line," the Oscar winner said. "In this strike action, I am lucky to be able to support those who will struggle in a long action to sustain against Goliath. We will stand strong together against these powerful corporations who are bent on taking the humanity, the human dignity, even the human out of our profession. I am proudest of my fellow actors who have immediately offered to fund the Emergency Financial Assistance Program."
Clooney said he was also proud to help, adding, "I can't thank Courtney enough for his determination in putting this effort together by shedding light on the human toll happening right now, and how we can work together to alleviate some of the pain and suffering."
SAG-AFTRA's 160,000 members went on strike July 14 after the guild failed to reach an agreeable deal with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP), which represents TV and film production companies including Disney, Netflix and more.
"A strike is certainly not the outcome we hoped for as studios cannot operate without the performers that bring our TV shows and films to life," the AMPTP said in a statement at the time. "The Union has regrettably chosen a path that will lead to financial hardship for countless thousands of people who depend on the industry."
As the Hollywood strike continues, see celebrities who stepped out on the picket lines:
(Comcast, which owns E! News' parent company NBCUniversal, is one of the entertainment companies represented by the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers.)
veryGood! (881)
Related
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Ahmed Fareed to host 'Football Night in America' with Maria Taylor going on parental leave
- Working families struggle to afford child care. Could Michigan’s ‘Tri-Share’ model work?
- NBA power rankings: Rudy Gobert has Timberwolves thriving in talent-laden West
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- 'It looks like a living organism': California man's mysterious photo captures imagination
- Illegal crossings surge in remote areas as Congress, White House weigh major asylum limits
- Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards gives final end-of-year address
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Kendall Jenner Steps Out With Justin Bieber and Friends in Aspen Amid Bad Bunny Breakup
Ranking
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Narcissists are nightmares during holidays. Here's how to cope with them.
- Two upstate New York men won $10 million from the state's lottery games
- EPA Begins a Review Process That Could Bring an End to Toxic, Flammable Vinyl Chloride
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Sudan’s conflict reaches a key city that had been a haven for many. Aid groups suspend work or flee
- Ford just added 100 photos of concept cars hidden for decades to its online archive
- Trump blasted for saying immigrants are poisoning the blood of our country
Recommendation
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
Georgia quarterback Carson Beck announces decision to return for 2024 season
Cowboys can't be taken seriously as Super Bowl threat unless they fix one massive defect
German court orders repeat of 2021 national election in parts of Berlin due to glitches
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Watchdog group accuses Ron DeSantis of breaking campaign finance law
Good news for late holiday shoppers: Retailers are improving their delivery speeds
Afghan student made a plea for his uninvited homeland at U.N. climate summit