Current:Home > ContactPrince Harry and Meghan Markle Officially Move Out of Frogmore Cottage -Infinite Edge Learning
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Officially Move Out of Frogmore Cottage
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 06:10:13
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle just made another royal exit.
Three years after stepping back as working members of the U.K. royal family, the pair have given up Frogmore Cottage in Windsor. The news also comes months after the couple were asked to leave the royal residence, which was renovated for them and where they have stayed during occasional trips since they moved to the United States in 2020.
"We can confirm that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have vacated Frogmore Cottage," Sir Michael Stevens, keeper of the Privy Purse, said at the annual Sovereign Grant account briefing on royal finances, Sky News reported June 29. "We will not be going into any detail on those arrangements here."
He added, "Safe to say that, as has previously been stated, the duke and duchess have paid for the expenditure incurred by the Sovereign Grant in relation to the renovation of Frogmore Cottage, thus leaving the Crown with a greatly enhanced asset."
In March, a spokesperson for the couple confirmed to E! News that "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been requested to vacate their residence at Frogmore Cottage." NBC News reached out to Buckingham Palace at the time but did not receive any comment.
The news came more than a month after the release of Harry's controversial memoir, Spare, in which he criticized the Royal family.
In the book, he talked about how he and Meghan acquired Frogmore Cottage, explaining that in 2019, when she was pregnant with their now-4-year-old son Prince Archie, his grandmother, the late Queen Elizabeth II, offered the home to him as an official residence after he told her that they "needed a new place to live." He further noted that their Nottingham Cottage home in Kensington Palace was "charming but too small."
Prior to moving in, the couple had Frogmore Cottage renovated, transforming five apartment units to a single residence. Harry noted that the Queen gave him and Meghan the permission to pursue the project to, as he put in, "make the place habitable."
The project cost 2.4 million British pounds ($3 million) and was initially covered by the Sovereign Grant, which comes from the U.K. Treasury and funds the costs of the Royal family's households and travel expenses. Harry and Meghan sparked a public backlash over their use of government money and ultimately repaid the renovation costs.
In mid-2020, the couple—now also parents to daughter Princess Lilibet, 2—relocated to the United States, buying a $14 million home in the duchess' native California. Harry last visited Frogmore Cottage in earlier this month during a trip to London to testify against Mirror Group Newspapers Ltd. in a phone hacking case, to which the company has denied any wrongdoing.
In their 2022 Netflix docuseries Harry & Meghan, Harry spoke about leaving the U.K. after stepping back as working Royals.
"We always saw Archie running around the garden at Frogmore Cottage and maybe jumping in the Queen's pond," he said. "That was all part of our future, and everything changed really, really quickly. We knew that we were going to get some breathing space from this very painful experience that we'd been stuck in, but also it was really sad."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (6)
Related
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Popeyes for Thanksgiving? How to get your own Cajun-style turkey this year
- How Gigi Hadid Gave a Nod to BFF Taylor Swift During Victoria's Secret Fashion Show
- Liam Payne's family mourns One Direction star's death at 31: 'Heartbroken'
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Eva Mendes has a message about food dyes in cereal. People are mad, but is she right?
- As Solar Booms in the California Desert, Locals Feel ‘Overburdened’
- Breanna Stewart and her wife Marta Xargay receive homophobic threats after Game 1 of WNBA Finals
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Liam Payne's family mourns One Direction star's death at 31: 'Heartbroken'
Ranking
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- After hurricanes, the business of rebuilding lives means navigating the insurance claims process
- How Gigi Hadid Gave a Nod to BFF Taylor Swift During Victoria's Secret Fashion Show
- US law entitles immigrant children to an education. Some conservatives say that should change
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- What's terrifying enough to freak out a horror writer? 10 authors pick the scariest books
- Hailey Bieber's Dad Stephen Baldwin Credits Her With Helping Husband Justin Bieber “Survive”
- Liam Payne's Official Cause of Death Confirmed by Authorities
Recommendation
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
Texas set to execute Robert Roberson despite strong evidence of innocence. What to know.
Opinion: No. 1 Texas football here to devour Georgia, even if Kirby Smart anointed king
Clint Eastwood's Daughter Francesca Eastwood Arrested for Domestic Violence
Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
Michigan is paying $13M after shooter drill terrified psychiatric hospital for kids
Emily Osment Reveals Role Brother Haley Joel Osment Had at Her Wedding
Federal judge is skeptical about taking away South Carolina governor’s clemency power