Current:Home > ContactTrial opens of Serb gunmen accused of attacking Kosovo police -Infinite Edge Learning
Trial opens of Serb gunmen accused of attacking Kosovo police
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 02:33:20
PRISTINA, Kosovo (AP) — A Kosovo court on Wednesday opened a trial of 45 people charged over a gunfight following an incursion by heavily armed Serb gunmen last year, as tensions remain tense between Serbia and its former breakaway province.
The trial at the Pristina District Court was held under tight security. Only three Serb defendants were present and the others are at large.
The three pleaded not guilty to the charges of violation of constitutional and legal order, terror activities, funding terrorism and money laundering. If convicted, they face a maximum sentence of life in prison. Their lawyers have 30 days to oppose the charges.
The gunmen shot dead a Kosovar police officer and three gunmen were later killed in a shootout with police in the village of Banjska on Sept. 24, 2023. Kosovo has accused Serbia of involvement, but Belgrade denied it.
Arianit Koci, a lawyer representing the family of the slain officer, Afrim Bunjaku, said he expected they will be convicted based on “irrefutable evidence.”
Among those charged in absentia is Milan Radoicic, a politician and wealthy businessman with ties to Serbia’s ruling populist party and President Aleksandar Vucic.
After the shooting, Serbia briefly detained Radoicic, who had fled back there, on suspicion of criminal conspiracy, unlawful possession of weapons and explosives and grave acts against public safety. Radoicic denied the charges although earlier admitted he was part of the paramilitary group involved in the gunfight.
Prosecutor Naim Abazi said that the defendants, under Radoicic’s command, tried to break away the Serb-majority municipalities in the northern part of Kosovo and join Serbia proper.
Radoicic is under U.S. and British sanctions for his alleged financial criminal activity. Serbia said that Radoicic and his group acted on their own.
EU and U.S. officials have demanded that Serbia bring the perpetrators to justice. Kosovo has called on the international community to press Belgrade to hand over the gunmen.
Kosovo was a Serbian province until NATO’s 78-day bombing campaign in 1999 ended a war between Serbian government forces and ethnic Albanian separatists in Kosovo, which left about 13,000 dead, mainly ethnic Albanians, and pushed Serbian forces out. Kosovo proclaimed independence in 2008.
Brussels and Washington are urging both sides to implement agreements that Vucic and Kosovo Prime Minister Albin Kurti reached in February and March last year. They include a commitment by Kosovo to establish an Association of the Serb-Majority Municipalities. Serbia is also expected to deliver on the de-facto recognition of Kosovo, which Belgrade still considers its province.
The NATO-led international peacekeepers known as KFOR have increased their presence in Kosovo after last year’s tensions.
___
Semini reported from Tirana, Albania. Follow Semini at https://x.com/lsemini
veryGood! (66676)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Biden’s Title IX law expanding protections for LGBTQ+ students is dealt another setback
- Armie Hammer calls 2021 allegations of cannibalism 'hilarious'
- State panel presents final revenue projections before Delaware lawmakers vote on budget bills
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Survivor Jackie Speier on Jonestown massacre at hands of 'megalomaniac' Jim Jones
- Scooter Braun announces retirement as a music manager 5 years after Taylor Swift dispute
- Former MLB infielder, coach Mike Brumley dies in car crash at 61
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Chipotle's stock split almost here: Time to buy now before it happens?
Ranking
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Gerrit Cole is back: Yankees ace to make 2024 debut on Wednesday, Aaron Boone says
- Why Brooke Shields Wore Crocs to the 2024 Tony Awards
- Judge rules that federal agency can’t enforce abortion rule in Louisiana and Mississippi
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Reggaeton Singer Don Omar Shares Cancer Diagnosis
- The Best Mascaras for Sensitive Eyes That Won’t Irritate, Yet Still Add All the Lift & Volume You Need
- If you can’t stay indoors during this U.S. heat wave, here are a few ideas
Recommendation
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Selling Sunset's Mary Fitzgerald Bonnet Sets Record Straight on Possible Christine Quinn Return
Chipotle stock split: Investors who hold shares by end of Tuesday included in rare 50-for-1 split
No survivors as twin-engine Cessna crashes in Colorado mobile home park
New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
Katie Ledecky wins 200 free at Olympic trials. Why she likely plans to give up spot
Secret Service agent robbed at gunpoint during Biden’s Los Angeles trip, police say
Senate Democrats to try to ban bump stocks after Supreme Court ruling