Current:Home > MarketsProsecutors: Supreme Court decision closes door on criminal prosecutions in Flint water scandal -Infinite Edge Learning
Prosecutors: Supreme Court decision closes door on criminal prosecutions in Flint water scandal
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 22:45:09
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — The Michigan attorney general’s office said Tuesday that the state prosecution of former Gov. Rick Snyder and other officials for their roles in the Flint water scandal has ended.
A decision Tuesday by the state Supreme Court to decline to hear appeals of a lower court’s dismissal of misdemeanor charges against Snyder “effectively closes the door on the criminal prosecutions of the government officials,” prosecutors said in a release.
“At this time the court has left us with no option but to consider the Flint water prosecutions closed,” the prosecution team said.
The Michigan Supreme Court in September rejected a last-chance effort by prosecutors to revive criminal charges. The attorney general’s office used an uncommon tool — a one-judge grand jury — to hear evidence and return indictments against nine people, including Snyder. But the Supreme Court last year said the process was unconstitutional, and it struck down the charges as invalid.
Snyder was charged with willful neglect of duty. The indictment against him also was dismissed, though the Supreme Court did not address an appeal by prosecutors in September only because that case was on a different timetable.
The Associated Press left a text message Tuesday seeking comment from Snyder’s attorney.
Managers appointed by Snyder turned the Flint River into a source for Flint water in 2014, but the water wasn’t treated to reduce its corrosive impact on old pipes. As a result, lead contaminated the system for 18 months. Some experts have attributed a fatal Legionnaires’ disease outbreak in 2014-15 to the water switch.
Flint was reconnected to a regional water system in 2015 and has been compliant with lead standards for seven years, regulators said.
Snyder, a Republican, acknowledged that state government botched the water switch, especially regulators who didn’t require certain treatments. But his lawyers deny his conduct rose to the level of a crime.
“Our disappointment in the Michigan Supreme Court is exceeded only by our sorrow for the people of Flint,” the prosecution team said.
The prosecution team said Tuesday that it expects next year to release “a full and thorough report” detailing its efforts and decisions.
Separately, the state agreed to pay $600 million as part of a $626 million settlement with residents and property owners who were harmed by lead-tainted water. Most of the money is going to children.
veryGood! (75925)
Related
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- The live action 'The Little Mermaid' is finally coming to streaming—here's how to watch
- Maui residents had little warning before flames overtook town. At least 53 people died.
- FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried returns to New York as prosecutors push for his incarceration
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Prosecutors clear 2 Stillwater police officers in fatal shooting of man at apartment complex
- Standoff in Michigan ends with suspect dead and deputy US marshal injured
- In the twilight of the muscle car era, demand for the new 486-horsepower V-8 Ford Mustang is roaring
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Prosecutors say a California judge charged in his wife’s killing had 47 weapons in his house
Ranking
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Police arrest man accused of threatening jury in trial of Pittsburgh synagogue gunman
- In the twilight of the muscle car era, demand for the new 486-horsepower V-8 Ford Mustang is roaring
- 'Billions' is back: Why Damian Lewis' Bobby Axelrod returns for the final Showtime season
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Missing Arizona man found wounded with 2 dead bodies, but his father remains missing
- Prosecutors say a California judge charged in his wife’s killing had 47 weapons in his house
- Florida education commissioner skips forum on criticized Black history standards
Recommendation
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Fund sued over grant program for Black women enlists prominent civil rights attorneys to fight back
Amid record heat, Spain sees goats as a solution to wildfires
Google will start deleting inactive accounts in December under new security policy
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
How to help those affected by the Maui wildfires
Tennessee hospital faces civil rights investigation over release of transgender health records
The Market Whisperer: Decoding the Global Economic Landscape with Kenny Anderson