Current:Home > FinanceDuane "Keffe D" Davis charged with murder in Tupac Shakur's 1996 drive-by shooting death -Infinite Edge Learning
Duane "Keffe D" Davis charged with murder in Tupac Shakur's 1996 drive-by shooting death
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:10:20
One of the last living witnesses to the fatal drive-by shooting of rapper Tupac Shakur in Las Vegas has been charged with his long-unsolved 1996 murder. Law enforcement officials announced Friday that 60-year-old Duane "Keffe D" Davis is charged with one count of murder with use of a deadly weapon with a gang enhancement.
The long-awaited break comes in a case that has frustrated investigators and fascinated the public ever since the hip-hop icon was gunned down on the Las Vegas Strip 27 years ago.
A Nevada grand jury indicted Davis in the killing, prosecutors revealed in court Friday morning. CBS Las Vegas affiliate KLAS confirmed news of the indictment, which was first reported by The Associated Press.
"Many people who did not believe the murder of Tupac Shukar was important to this police department, I am here to tell you: that was simply not the case," Sheriff Kevin McMahill said at a news conference Friday afternoon.
"Our goal was always to hold those responsible for Tupac's violent murder accountable," he said.
"This case has been reviewed by our homicide team and our homicide detectives for over two and a half decades, and our persistence in this investigation has paid off," said Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department homicide Lieutenant Jason Johansson.
He described Davis as "the leader and shot-caller of the South Side Compton Crips," and said the groups had been involved in "an ongoing feud."
Chief Deputy District Attorney Marc DiGiacomo said a grand jury had been seated in the case for "several months." DiGiacomo described Davis as the "on-ground, on-site commander" who "ordered the death" of Shakur.
The charges were revealed hours after Davis was arrested Friday morning while on a walk near his home, according to DiGiacomo.
Davis has been known to investigators and has also admitted in interviews and in his 2019 tell-all memoir, "Compton Street Legend," that he was in the Cadillac where the gunfire erupted during the September 1996 drive-by shooting.
The arrest comes two months after Las Vegas police raided his wife's home in Henderson on July 17. Documents said police were looking for items "concerning the murder of Tupac Shakur."
Police reported collecting multiple computers, a cellphone and hard drive, a Vibe magazine that featured Shakur, several .40-caliber bullets, two "tubs containing photographs" and a copy of Davis' 2019 tell-all memoir, "Compton Street Legend."
In the book, Davis said he broke his silence over Tupac's killing in 2010 during a closed-door meeting with federal and local authorities. At the time, he was 46 and facing life in prison on drug charges when he agreed to speak with the authorities.
"They promised they would shred the indictment and stop the grand jury if I helped them out," he wrote.
He has described himself as one of the last living witnesses to the shooting.
KLAS reports it was unclear Friday why the case was suddenly moving ahead after more than two decades. Las Vegas police previously said that a 2018 interview Davis gave to BET prompted them to review the case.
Davis admitted publicly in the 2018 interview for a BET show to being inside the Cadillac during the attack, and implicated his nephew, Orlando "Baby Lane" Anderson, as one of two people in the back seat where the shots were fired.
"When we pulled up, I was in the front seat," Davis said in the 2018 BET interview."Happen to see my friend, Suge."
"You said the shots came from the back," the interviewer asks Davis in the BET video. "Who shot Tupac?"
"Going to keep it for the code of the streets," Davis said. "It just came from the backseat, bro."
Shakur was 25 when he was gunned down in the drive-by shooting near the Las Vegas Strip on the night of Sept. 7, 1996. The rapper was in a BMW driven by Death Row Records founder Marion "Suge" Knight in a convoy of about 10 cars. They were waiting at a red light when a white Cadillac pulled up next to them and gunfire erupted. Shakur was shot multiple times and died a week later.
The shooting happened shortly after a casino brawl earlier in the evening involving Anderson, Shakur and others. Anderson denied any involvement in the Shakur shooting. He died two years later in a shooting in Compton, California.
Shakur's death came as his fourth solo album, "All Eyez on Me," remained on the charts, with some 5 million copies sold. Nominated six times for a Grammy Award, Shakur is largely considered one of the most influential and versatile rappers of all time. Shakur was feuding at the time with rap rival Biggie Smalls, also known as the Notorious B.I.G., who was fatally shot in March 1997. At the time, both rappers were in the middle of an East Coast-West Coast rivalry that primarily defined the hip-hop scene during the mid-1990s.
Greg Kading, a retired Los Angeles police detective who spent years investigating the Shakur killing and wrote a book about it, said he would not be surprised by Davis's indictment and arrest.
"It's so long overdue," Kading told The Associated Press during a recent interview. "People have been yearning for him to be arrested for a long time. It's never been unsolved in our minds. It's been unprosecuted."
Kading said he interviewed Davis in 2008 and 2009, during Los Angeles police investigations of the killings of Shakur in Las Vegas and the slaying of Biggie Smalls.
Kading said he also talked with a Las Vegas police detective about the case, including after the SWAT raid in July at the home in Henderson.
The former Los Angeles police detective said he believed the investigation gained new momentum in recent years following Davis's public descriptions of his role in the killing, including his 2019 tell-all memoir, "Compton Street Legend."
"It's those events that have given Las Vegas the ammunition and the leverage to move forward," Kading said. "Prior to Keefe D's public declarations, the cases were unprosecutable as they stood."
"He put himself squarely in the middle of the conspiracy," Kading said of Davis and the Shakur slaying. "He had acquired the gun, he had given the gun to the shooter and he had been present in the vehicle when they hunted down and located both Tupac and Suge (Knight)."
Kading noted that Davis is the last living person among the four people who were in the vehicle from which shots were fired at Shakur and rapper Marion "Suge" Knight. Others were Davis's nephew, Orlando "Baby Lane" Anderson, Terrence "Bubble Up" Brown and DeAndre "Freaky" Smith.
"It's a concerted effort of conspirators," Kading said, adding that he believed because the killing was premeditated Davis could face a first-degree murder charge.
"All the other direct conspirators or participants are all dead," Kading said. "Keefe D is the last man standing among the individuals that conspired to kill Tupac."
veryGood! (93)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Ex-Lizzo staffer speaks out after filing lawsuit against singer
- Why this week’s mass exodus from embattled Nagorno-Karabakh reflects decades of animosity
- Did AI write this film? 'The Creator' offers a muddled plea for human-robot harmony
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- UAW VP says Stellantis proposals mean job losses; top executive says they won't
- After Malaysia bans his book, author says his depiction of Indonesian maid was misunderstood
- Search for man who police say shot deputy and another person closes schools in South Carolina
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- 'Never be the same': Maui fire victims seek answers, accountability at Washington hearing
Ranking
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- In UAW strike, Trump pretends to support workers. He's used to stabbing them in the back.
- Washington Gov. Jay Inslee tests positive for COVID-19 for 3rd time
- Powerball jackpot nears $1 billion after no winners: When is the next drawing?
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Watch the joyous energy between this jumping baby goat and adorable little girl
- Tropical Storm Rina forms in the Atlantic Ocean, the National Hurricane Center says
- 'The truth has finally set him free.': Man released after serving 28 years for crime he didn't commit
Recommendation
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
Miguel Cabrera’s career coming to close with Tigers, leaving lasting legacy in MLB and Venezuela
Invasive catfish poised to be apex predators after eating their way into Georgia rivers
Fatal 2021 jet crash was likely caused by parking brake left on during takeoff, NTSB says
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
$10,000 bill sells for nearly half a million dollars at Texas auction — and 1899 coin sells for almost as much
New Thai prime minister pays friendly visit to neighboring Cambodia’s own new leader
Cleanup of Berlin’s Brandenburg Gate after climate protest to be longer and more expensive