Current:Home > MyMaui wildfire death toll climbs to 106 as grim search continues -Infinite Edge Learning
Maui wildfire death toll climbs to 106 as grim search continues
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 02:50:00
LAHAINA, Hawaii −The death toll from the Maui wildfire that destroyed much of this historic town surpassed 100 late Tuesday and authorities warned cadaver dogs had reached less than half the scorched homes and businesses.
Authorities began releasing the names of the dead, and Gov. Josh Green warned the death toll – 106 as of late Tuesday – from the nation's deadliest wildfire in more than century was expected to continue climbing. Asked if children are among those missing or killed, Green said, "Tragically yes. ... when the bodies are smaller, we know it’s a child.”
Green said housing the displaced continues to be a primary focus of relief efforts. More than 500 hotel rooms and 1,000 Airbnb rentals were becoming available, he said, adding thousands of people will need housing for at least 36 weeks.
"All this will be covered by FEMA," he said. "We want everyone to be able to leave the shelters and go into housing, which will take a very long time."
President Joe Biden will head to Maui on Monday to meet with survivors and officials there, the White House announced Wednesday.
Complicating recovery efforts was a weather forecast calling for storms with rain and high winds this weekend. Officials were considering preemptively cutting power to some areas, Green said.
"Know that we will be there until the end," Green said. "We are there with you, our hearts are with you, we are heartsick that we have had such loss."
FEMA lends a hand,but Maui fire losses estimated in the billions; officials release first names of people killed: Aug. 15 updates
Developments:
◾As of late Tuesday, the Lahaina fire was 85% contained, the Upcountry/Kula fire was 75% contained and the Pulehu/Kihei fire was 100% contained.
◾Authorities announced major roads into the area were being opened for locals, but warned toxic byproducts from flames that spewed spewed poisonous fumes remained a major concern.
◾The fire caused about $3.2 billion in insured property losses, the disaster assessment firm Karen Clark & Company estimated. The tally did not include damage to uninsured property.
◾Japan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced Wednesday it would give about $2 million in assistance to Hawaii through the Red Cross and the Japan Platform. South Korea also pledged $2 million in humanitarian aid.
Authorities begin revealing identities of those killed
Authorities late Tuesday released the names of two people who died in the blaze. The bodies of Robert Dyckman, 74, and Buddy Jantoc, 79, both of Lahaina, were identified and families were notified, Maui County said in a statement. Three other individuals have been identified, and officials were working to notify their families.
A portable morgue with mortuary exam tables, X-ray units and other equipment was brought into the area to aid the difficult process of making identifications from the charred remains. Maui Police Chief John Pelletier, who has repeatedly urged families with missing relatives to provide DNA samples, said more than 40 samples have been submitted. Thirteen DNA profiles had been obtained from remains, authorities said.
Bidens to visit scene on Monday
The White House announced Wednesday that Biden and first lady Jill Biden will travel Monday to Maui to meet with first responders, survivors and officials.
Green previously said he was working with the White House for a visit from the president after the search for bodies was completed. Green said Biden "did not want to interfere with the incredibly difficult emotional and physical work that goes on in a disaster zone."
"I want to go and make sure we got everything they need," Biden said Tuesday when announcing he would make a trip as soon as it would not interfere with recovery efforts.
Former President Donald Trump was among some Republicans who criticized Biden for not publicly addressing the tragedy in recent days. Biden, in Milwaukee promoting his economic agenda, pledged that “every asset they need will be there for them.”
Lawsuit accuses Hawaiian Electric of negligence
A lawsuit filed on behalf of five Lahaina residents alleges the local power company played a substantial role in the fire. The suit says Hawaiian Electric Industries should be held accountable for “negligence, trespass, and nuisance." The utility company was “a substantial factor” in the deadliest U.S. wildfire in over a century, according to the suit.
Hawaiian Electric Industries is the largest supplier of electricity in Hawaii. San Diego- and Wailuku-based law firm Singleton Schreiber filed the lawsuit Monday. The company issued a statement saying it does not comment on pending litigation and that it is focused on supporting emergency response efforts and restoring any lost electricity.
“Everything we’ve seen indicates the power lines started the fire,” said Singleton Schreiber Managing Partner Gerald Singleton. Read more here.
− Kathleen Wong
Power company was 'substantial factor'Power company was 'substantial factor' in devastating Maui wildfires, lawsuit alleges
Contributing: Maureen Groppe, USA TODAY; The Associated Press
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Residents in Wisconsin community return home after dam breach leads to evacuations
- Which states could have abortion on the ballot in 2024? Arkansas organizers aim to join the list
- Crews search Lake Michigan for 2 Chicago-area men who went missing while boating in Indiana waters
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Connecticut officials warn beachgoers of nesting shorebirds as they announce some park area closures
- Jessica Springsteen doesn't qualify for US equestrian team at Paris Olympics
- Who is Britain's new Prime Minister Keir Starmer, ushered to power by his Labour Party's election landslide?
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Bernhard Langer misses cut at Munich to bring 50-year European tour career to an end
Ranking
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- How police rescued a woman from a ritual killing amid massive Mexican trafficking network
- WWE NXT Heatwave 2024: Time, how to watch, match card and more
- Trump ally Nigel Farage heckles his hecklers as his far-right Reform UK Party makes gains in U.K. election
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- WWE Money in the Bank 2024 results: Winners, highlights, analysis
- Minnesota Vikings Rookie Khyree Jackson Dead at 24 After Car Crash
- Two inmates charged with murder recaptured after escape from Mississippi jail
Recommendation
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Driver who plowed through July Fourth crowd in NYC, killing 3 and injuring 8, held without bail
Fiery railcars with hazardous material mostly contained after derailment in North Dakota
Lakers' Bronny James held to four points in NBA Summer League debut
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Honeymoon now a 'prison nightmare,' after Hurricane Beryl strands couple in Jamaica
Nate Diaz beats Jorge Masvidal by majority decision: round-by-round fight analysis
Antisemitism in Europe drives some Jews to seek safety in Israel despite ongoing war in Gaza