Current:Home > ContactTrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Prince Harry ordered to pay Daily Mail over $60K in legal fees following failed court challenge -Infinite Edge Learning
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Prince Harry ordered to pay Daily Mail over $60K in legal fees following failed court challenge
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 02:29:59
LONDON — A judge ordered Prince Harry on TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank CenterMonday to pay more than $60,000 in legal fees to the publisher of the Daily Mail tabloid for his failed court challenge in a libel lawsuit.
The Duke of Sussex is suing Associated Newspapers Ltd. over an article that said Harry tried to hide his efforts to retain publicly funded protection in the U.K. after leaving his role as a working member of the royal family.
Justice Matthew Nicklin ruled Friday in the High Court in London that the publisher has a “real prospect” of showing that statements issued on Harry’s behalf were misleading and that the February 2022 article reflected an “honest opinion” and wasn’t libelous.
“The defendant may well submit that this was a masterclass in the art of ‘spinning,’” Nicklin wrote, in refusing to strike the honest opinion defense.
Harry has claimed the article was “fundamentally inaccurate” and the newspaper defamed him when it suggested he lied in his initial public statements over efforts to challenge the government’s decision to strip him of his security detail after he and his family moved to the U.S. in 2020.
Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, also has a lawsuit pending against the government’s decision to protect him on a case-by-case basis when he visits Britain. He claims that hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless hounding by the news media threaten their safety.
Nicklin said a libel trial lasting three to four days will be scheduled between May 17 and July 31.
The $60,927 in legal fees Harry was ordered to pay by Dec. 29 is likely to be dwarfed by the amount paid to lawyers in another lawsuit the duke has brought against the publisher.
Harry has claimed the article was “fundamentally inaccurate” and the newspaper defamed him when it suggested he lied in his initial public statements over efforts to challenge the government’s decision to strip him of his security detail after he and his family moved to the U.S. in 2020.
Prince Harry challenges decisionto strip him of security after move to US with Meghan
Associated Newspapers is one of three British tabloid publishers he’s suing over claims they used unlawful means, such as deception, phone hacking or hiring private investigators, to try to dig up dirt on him.
The Mail publisher failed last month in its bid to throw out that lawsuit, though it prevailed in getting some evidence barred from trial. Nicklin — who is also hearing that case — is considering what to award in lawyer’s costs for each party’s respective wins.
Harry and co-claimants that include Elton John and Elizabeth Hurley said they spent $2.1 million to prepare for and argue their case at a hearing over several days in March. The publisher, meanwhile, is seeking up to $949,000.
From phone hacking to aerial photos:What to know about all of Prince Harry's lawsuits
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Aaron Nola returns to Phillies on 7-year deal, AP source says
- Blocked from a horizontal route, rescuers will dig vertically to reach 41 trapped in India tunnel
- Live updates | Shell hits Gaza hospital, killing 12, as heavy fighting breaks out
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Catholic priest sentenced to life for sex trafficking boys, manipulating opioid addictions
- Shakira reaches a deal with Spanish prosecutors on the first day of tax fraud trial
- Fires in Brazil threaten jaguars, houses and plants in the world’s largest tropical wetlands
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- The Albanian opposition disrupts a Parliament vote on the budget with flares and piled-up chairs
Ranking
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Israel says second hostage Noa Marciano found dead near Gaza's Al-Shifa Hospital
- Albanese criticizes China over warship’s use of sonar that injured an Australian naval diver
- Vogt resigns as CEO of Cruise following safety questions, recalls of self-driving vehicles
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Final inmate of 4 men who escaped Georgia jail last month is captured
- George Brown, drummer and co-founder of Kool & The Gang, dead at 74
- James scores season-high 37, hits go-ahead free throw as Lakers hold off Rockets 105-104
Recommendation
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
NATO chief commits to Bosnia’s territorial integrity and condemns ‘malign’ Russian influence
3rd release of treated water from Japan’s damaged Fukushima nuclear plant ends safely, operator says
Suzanne Shepherd, 'Sopranos' and 'Goodfellas' actress, dies at 89
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
Jordan Fisher goes into ‘Hadestown’ on Broadway, ‘stretching every creative muscle’
Wilson, Sutton hook up for winning TD as Broncos rally to end Vikings’ 5-game winning streak, 21-20
Fantasy football winners, losers: Rookie Zach Charbonnet inherits Seattle spotlight