Current:Home > ScamsMexico cancels conference on 1960s and 1970s rights violations raising claims of censorship -Infinite Edge Learning
Mexico cancels conference on 1960s and 1970s rights violations raising claims of censorship
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 03:11:10
Mexico’s Department of the Interior reportedly revoked funding on Friday for a conference on the government’s violent anti-insurgency policy from the 1960s to the 1980s, raising claims of censorship.
The conference had been scheduled to begin in two days time. Organizers said they were forced to cancel the event, which would have focused on the period known in Mexico as the “dirty war.”
The decision has caused confusion among academics, some of whom have accused the government of censoring debate about an infamously violent period of modern Mexican history.
The event, hosted by the Colegio de Mexico, would have included presentations from historians from the United Kingdom to Argentina, members of Mexico’s “dirty war” inquiry panel, and officials from the Department of the Interior itself.
One of the speakers, academic and human rights activist Sergio Aguayo, first announced the news on the social media platform X, formerly Twitter, claiming a government official had expressed concerns to him that “enemies of the government” were participating in the conference.
“There are different points of view because that is why there is academic freedom,” Aguayo posted, calling the government’s decision “absurd.”
The government’s “dirty war” inquiry, which was co-organizing the event, later confirmed on social media that funding had been cut, and the conference was cancelled.
The Department of the Interior has not acknowledged the cancellation and did not respond to The Associated Press’ request for comment.
Since 2021, government officials have been investigating historic crimes committed during the period when the government waged a campaign of violence against leftist guerillas, dissidents and social movements in the 1960s, 70s and ’80s.
They withdrew their inquiry last month, however, after discovering military officials were allegedly destroying, hiding and altering documents.
Even decades later, over 2,300 victims of the “dirty war” or their relatives are thought to be alive today, many still searching for justice, investigators announced in their latest findings.
veryGood! (52394)
Related
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Israeli strikes hit near several hospitals as the military pushes deeper into Gaza City
- Brent Ray Brewer, Texas man who said death sentence was based on false expert testimony, is executed
- Panel to investigate Maine shooting is established as lawyers serve notice on 20 agencies
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Dylan Mulvaney Shares Update on Dating Life Amid Celebratory New Chapter
- Angus Cloud’s Your Lucky Day Family Reflects on His “Calming Presence” 3 Months After His Death
- Awkward in the NL Central: Craig Counsell leaving for Cubs dials up rivalry with Brewers
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Fraternity and bar sued over 2021 death of University of New Hampshire student
Ranking
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Sasha Skochilenko, Russian artist who protested war in Ukraine, faces possible 8-year prison sentence
- Los Angeles to pay $8M to man who spent 12 years in prison for armed robberies he didn’t commit
- Chase on Texas border that killed 8 puts high-speed pursuits in spotlight again
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Ole Miss, Kiffin seek dismissal of lawsuit filed by Rebels football player
- Conservative Muslims protest Coldplay’s planned concert in Indonesia over the band’s LGBTQ+ support
- 2023 Veterans Day deals: Free meals and discounts at more than 70 restaurants, businesses
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Democratic West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin is retiring, giving GOP a key pickup opportunity in 2024
Ole Miss, Kiffin seek dismissal of lawsuit filed by Rebels football player
Abigail Breslin sued by 'Classified' movie producers after accusation against Aaron Eckhart
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Congress no closer to funding government before next week's shutdown deadline
Burmese python weighing 198 pounds is captured in Florida by snake wranglers: Watch
Puerto Rico declares flu epidemic with 42 deaths, over 900 hospitalizations