Current:Home > MarketsRetired Belarusian hockey player Konstantin Koltsov dies in Florida at 42 -Infinite Edge Learning
Retired Belarusian hockey player Konstantin Koltsov dies in Florida at 42
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 22:45:15
MIAMI (AP) — Former Belarusian hockey player Konstantin Koltsov, who was coaching in the KHL, has died in Florida, police said Tuesday. He was 42.
Miami-Dade Police detective Argemis Colome confirmed Koltsov’s death in a statement sent to The Associated Press. Police said the death was an apparent suicide and no foul play was suspected.
Koltsov served as an assistant coach for Salavat Yulaev Ufa the past two seasons. He also was an assistant on staff for the Belarusian men’s national team.
National team coach Dmitry Baskov called Koltsov’s death “an irreparable loss.”
“Konstantin was one of the undisputable leaders of our team, a talented progressive coach, a bright player,” Baskov said in a statement. “He was an example of sturdiness, hard work, dedication and an idol for many Belarusian boys and his colleagues. It’s hard and unfair when such people leave so early.”
Koltsov played in 144 NHL games for the Pittsburgh Penguins from 2003-06 after being selected in the first round of the 1999 draft, putting up 12 goals and 26 assists. The Penguins in a statement extended condolences to Koltsov’s family and friends.
Koltsov played most of his career in the Russian Superleague, which morphed into the KHL, finishing with Dynamo Minsk in 2015-16 and going into coaching. Salavat Yulaev Ufa expressed sorrow for the death of Koltsov, who won a Gagarin Cup championship with the club as a player in 2010-11.
“He was a strong and cheerful person, he was loved and respected by players, colleagues, and fans,” the team said in a statement. “(Koltsov) forever wrote himself into the history of our club.”
Koltsov had been dating second-ranked women’s tennis player Aryna Sabalenka, who was scheduled to play in the Miami Open tournament that began Tuesday. A spokesperson for the Miami Open said late Tuesday afternoon that Sabalenka had not withdrawn from the event.
As one of the 32 seeded players in the women’s bracket, Sabalenka received a first-round bye. She is scheduled to make her initial appearance in the 2024 edition of the tournament in the second round on Thursday, when she would face the winner of a match between two-time major champion Simona Halep and Paula Badosa.
Messages sent to Sabalenka’s publicist were not immediately returned.
Sabalenka is a 25-year-old also from Belarus who won the Australian Open in January for her second consecutive title at Melbourne Park. She was featured during the Netflix docuseries “Break Point,” speaking emotionally about the death of her father when he was in his early 40s.
___
This story includes discussion of suicide. If you or someone you know needs help, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 988.
___
AP sports: https://apnews.com/sports
veryGood! (89)
Related
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Can you take too many vitamins? Here's what the experts want you to know.
- U.N. warns Libya could face second devastating crisis if disease spreads in decimated Derna
- Bears GM doesn't see QB Justin Fields as a 'finger pointer' after controversial remarks
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Hunter Biden ordered to appear in-person at arraignment on Oct. 3
- See Powerball winning numbers: Jackpot grows to $725 million after no winner in Wednesday drawing
- Azerbaijan launches military operation targeting Armenian positions; 2 civilians reportedly killed, including child
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Federal judge sets May trial date for 5 former Memphis officers charged in Tyre Nichols beating
Ranking
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- First Black woman to serve in Vermont Legislature to be honored posthumously
- George R.R. Martin, Jodi Picoult and more sue OpenAI: 'Systematic theft on a mass scale'
- U.N. General Assembly opens with world in crisis — but only 1 of the 5 key world powers attending
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Why Britney Spears' 2002 Film Crossroads Is Returning to Movie Theaters
- Former Trump aide Cassidy Hutchinson says Rudy Giuliani groped her on Jan. 6, 2021
- Philadelphia Sheriff’s Office can’t account for nearly 200 guns, city comptroller finds
Recommendation
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
UK prosecutors have charged 5 Bulgarians with spying for Russia. They are due in court next week
U.N. warns Libya could face second devastating crisis if disease spreads in decimated Derna
Meet the Incredibly Star-Studded Cast of The Traitors Season 2
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Could a promotion-relegation style system come to college football? One official hopes so.
Tim McGraw's Birthday Tribute to Best Friend Faith Hill Will Warm Your Heart
Judge temporarily blocks Republican-backed overhaul of Ohio’s education system following lawsuit