Current:Home > ScamsTrendPulse|Families in Massachusetts overflow shelters will have to document efforts to find a path out -Infinite Edge Learning
TrendPulse|Families in Massachusetts overflow shelters will have to document efforts to find a path out
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:47:34
BOSTON (AP) — Families staying in overflow shelter sites in Massachusetts will soon have TrendPulseto document each month their efforts to find a path out of the overflow system, including looking for housing or a job, Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey announced Monday.
Beginning May 1, families will have to be recertified monthly to remain eligible to stay in the state-run overflow sites.
They will need to show what steps they’ve taken to work toward independence, including applying for work authorization permits, participating in a workforce training program, submitting job applications, taking English classes or searching for housing, according to the administration.
“We have said for months now that our system is at capacity, and we do not have the space, providers or funding to continue expanding,” Emergency Assistance Director General Scott Rice said. “This new certification policy is a responsible step to address the capacity constraints at our safety-net sites.”
The policy does not apply to sites operated by the United Way of Massachusetts Bay, a charitable organization.
Massachusetts has been grappling with the growing influx of homeless migrant families seeking shelter in the state.
The state’s Emergency Assistance family shelter system serves homeless families with children or pregnant women. Less than half of families in EA are new arrivals to Massachusetts.
Last fall, the administration announced that the system could no longer safely or responsibly expand and set up a waiting list. Families who qualify for emergency shelter and are on the waiting list are eligible to stay at the state’s overflow or safety-net sites, currently providing shelter for about 200 families.
The administration also announced Monday that it will be opening a new overflow shelter site next month in Chelsea at the former Chelsea Soldiers’ Home. The site is vacant and is eventually slated to be demolished.
At full capacity, the Chelsea site will be able to accommodate approximately 100 families.
The announcement comes after the Massachusetts Senate last week approved limits on how long homeless families can stay in emergency state shelters as part of an $850 million plan to fund the system at the center of the migrant crisis.
Under the bill approved late Thursday by a vote of 32-8, the state would limit maximum stays to nine months with the possibility of 90 more days for veterans, pregnant women and people who are employed or enrolled in a job training program.
Currently, there are no limits on the time a family can spend in emergency housing.
A bill already passed by the House would provide funding covering the rest of the 2024 fiscal year that ends June 30 and part of 2025. The legislation is expected to go to a conference committee to hammer out a single compromise bill before it’s shipped to Democratic Gov. Maura Healey’s desk.
veryGood! (68)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- 'Blue Beetle' offers a 3-step cure for superhero fatigue
- Man accused of beating goose to death with golf club at New York golf course, officials say
- The Morning Show Season 3 Trailer Unveils Dramatic Shakeups and Takedowns
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Judge OKs updated Great Lakes fishing agreement between native tribes, state and federal agencies
- Italian leader tones down divisive rhetoric but carries on with pursuit of far-right agenda
- Aaron Judge's first 3-homer game helps Yankees snap 9-game losing streak
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- The Blind Side Producers Reveal How Much Money the Tuohys Really Made From Michael Oher Story
Ranking
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Iowa's Noah Shannon facing year-long suspension tied to NCAA gambling investigation
- Skipping GOP debate, Trump speaks with Tucker Carlson
- Climate change made it in the GOP debate. Some young Republicans say that's a win
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Former death row inmate in Mississippi to be resentenced to life with possibility of parole
- Man Detained Outside of Drew Barrymore’s Home Days After NYC Stage Encounter
- Fran Drescher says actors strike she’s leading is an ‘inflection point’ that goes beyond Hollywood
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
'Trail of the Lost' is a gripping tale of hikers missing on the Pacific Coast Trail
Trump set to surrender at Georgia jail on charges that he sought to overturn 2020 election
Aaron Judge's first 3-homer game helps Yankees snap 9-game losing streak
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Subway sold to Arby's and Dunkin' owner Roark Capital
Transgender adults are worried about finding welcoming spaces to live in their later years
Slain Marine’s family plans to refile lawsuit accusing Alec Baldwin of defamation