Current:Home > reviewsNovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center:Ohio board stands by disqualification of transgender candidate, despite others being allowed to run -Infinite Edge Learning
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center:Ohio board stands by disqualification of transgender candidate, despite others being allowed to run
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 23:35:30
COLUMBUS,NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center Ohio (AP) — A county board in Ohio has refused to reconsider the disqualification of a transgender state House candidate who omitted her former name from circulating petitions, even as other transgender candidates have been cleared for the ballot.
The Stark County Board of Elections said in a statement Friday that it stands by its decision to disqualify Vanessa Joy, a real estate photographer from Massillon, Ohio, because she did not put a name that no longer aligns with her gender identity — also referred to as a deadname — on the petitions used to gather signatures to get on the ballot. State law mandates that candidates disclose any name changes from the past five years on their petitions, with exemptions for changes resulting from marriage.
The law, meant to weed out bad actors, is unknown even to many elections officials, and it isn’t listed in the 33-page candidate requirement guide. Additionally, there is no space on the petitions to list former names.
Joy said she’s frustrated by the county board’s decision and that, for now, her campaign is over. However, she said she is working with an attorney to try to change the law to be more inclusive of transgender candidates who don’t want to disclose their previous names for personal safety reasons, among others.
“I’m out of the race, but I’m not out of the fight,” Joy told The Associated Press on Monday.
The county board said in its statement that it was “sympathetic to” Joy’s argument that she shouldn’t be disqualified since the campaign guide did not contain the requirement, but said its decision “must be based on the law.”
All four transgender candidates for the Legislature this year have run into issues with the name-change law, which has been in place in some form for decades but is used rarely, usually by candidates wishing to use a nickname.
Fellow Democratic transgender House candidates Bobbie Arnold of Preble County and Arienne Childrey of Auglaize County were cleared to run by their respective boards of elections just last week. But if Joy does not succeed in changing the law before November and Childrey or Arnold win, they could technically still be kicked out of office.
Ari Faber, a Democrat from Athens running for the Ohio state Senate, has not legally changed his name and so has not had his candidacy challenged. Faber is running with his deadname on the ballot.
Republican Gov. Mike DeWine previously said that the law should be amended and transgender candidates shouldn’t be disqualified on these grounds.
Republican Secretary of State Frank LaRose said his team will work to put the law on the candidate guide. But he said his office is not open to tweaking the law because public officeholders must be transparent with voters and are not entitled to such privacy.
___
Samantha Hendrickson is a corps member for the Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on undercovered issues.
veryGood! (18476)
Related
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- OceanGate Believes All 5 People On Board Missing Titanic Sub Have Sadly Died
- Is Project Texas enough to save TikTok?
- Mark Zuckerberg Accepts Elon Musk’s Challenge to a Cage Fight
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- The ripple effects of Russia's war in Ukraine continue to change the world
- Inside Clean Energy: The Energy Storage Boom Has Arrived
- Arby's+? More restaurants try subscription programs to keep eaters coming back
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Distributor, newspapers drop 'Dilbert' comic strip after creator's racist rant
Ranking
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Is Project Texas enough to save TikTok?
- Vine Star Tristan Simmonds Shares He’s Starting Testosterone After Coming Out as Transgender
- Transcript: National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan on Face the Nation, July 16, 2023
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Say Bonjour to Selena Gomez's Photo Diary From Paris
- Inside Clean Energy: Four Things Biden Can Do for Clean Energy Without Congress
- Who is Fran Drescher? What to know about the SAG-AFTRA president and sitcom star
Recommendation
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
California Proposal Embraces All-Electric Buildings But Stops Short of Gas Ban
One officer shot dead, 2 more critically injured in Fargo; suspect also killed
Country star Jason Aldean cites dehydration and heat exhaustion after rep says heat stroke cut concert short
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
TikTok sets a new default screen-time limit for teen users
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: There are times when you don't have any choice but to speak the truth
Hollywood's Black List (Classic)