Current:Home > ContactSen. Bob Menendez won't run in N.J. Democratic primary, may seek reelection as independent if cleared in bribery case -Infinite Edge Learning
Sen. Bob Menendez won't run in N.J. Democratic primary, may seek reelection as independent if cleared in bribery case
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-07 00:03:47
Washington — Indicted Sen. Bob Menendez, a New Jersey Democrat, announced Thursday that he won't run in the Democratic primary as he faces allegations he traded his political influence for money, but said he could seek reelection as an independent if he's exonerated.
"I will not file for the Democratic primary this June. I am hopeful that my exoneration will take place this summer and allow me to pursue my candidacy as an independent Democrat in the general election," Menendez said in a video shared on YouTube.
Menendez was indicted on federal corruption charges in September and has been defiant against calls to resign, though he did step down from his powerful chairmanship of the Foreign Relations Committee.
The charges allege Menendez and his wife, Nadine, accepted hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of bribes, including cash, furniture and gold bars, while using his power and influence to enrich and protect three New Jersey businessmen and benefit the governments of Egypt and Qatar.
In the months since, superseding indictments alleged Menendez and his wife conspired to act as a foreign agent for Egypt and accepted expensive gifts in exchange for favorable comments about Qatar. The latest indictment unsealed in March accused the duo of obstructing the investigation into the scheme.
Menendez and his wife have pleaded not guilty to all the charges. Their trial is set to begin in May.
Although Menendez has faced calls to resign or retire before, the indictment in this case brought the biggest threat to his political future, prompting a slew of New Jersey Democrats to call for his resignation, including Gov. Phil Murphy.
"Unfortunately, the present accusations I am facing, of which I am innocent and will prove so, will not allow me to have that type of dialogue and debate with political opponents that have already made it the cornerstone of their campaign," Menendez said.
A fierce primary is already underway to replace Menendez in the Senate, with Rep. Andy Kim and New Jersey first lady Tammy Murphy topping the field of contenders vying for the Democratic nomination.
While Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has stopped short of calling for Menendez to resign, he has said the "Senate has certain standards that we must live up to" and that he is "disappointed" that Menendez has not "lived up to those standards."
In his video statement, Menendez acknowledged the disappointment but indicated he has no plans to step down from Congress.
"I know many of you are hurt and disappointed in me with the accusations I'm facing," he said. "Believe me, I am disappointed at the false accusations as well. All I can ask of you is to withhold judgment until justice takes place. Until then, I will continue to work my heart out each and every day, as I have for the past 19 years to fight for New Jersey, for you, your family, in a more prosperous, secure future."
- In:
- Bob Menendez
- New Jersey
Caitlin Yilek is a politics reporter at cbsnews.com and is based in Washington, D.C. She previously worked for the Washington Examiner and The Hill, and was a member of the 2022 Paul Miller Washington Reporting Fellowship with the National Press Foundation.
TwitterveryGood! (94486)
Related
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Joran van der Sloot is sent back to Peru after US trial and confession in Holloway killing
- Watchdog group says attack that killed videographer ‘explicitly targeted’ Lebanon journalists
- Ariana Madix Reveals Unexpected Dancing With the Stars Body Transformation
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Travis Barker Reveals Name of His and Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian's Baby Boy
- Cooper Flagg, nation's No. 1 recruit, commits to Duke basketball
- Golden Bachelor’s Sandra Mason Reacts to Criticism Over Missing Daughter’s Wedding for the Show
- Bodycam footage shows high
- A gunman holed up at a Japanese post office may be linked to an earlier shooting in a hospital
Ranking
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Olympic Gymnast Mary Lou Retton Breaks Silence on Health Battle
- Advocates raise privacy, safety concerns as NYPD and other departments put robots on patrol
- Supreme Court to weigh fights over public officials blocking constituents on social media
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- California’s Newsom plays hardball in China, collides with student during schoolyard basketball game
- 5 Things podcast: Americans are obsessed with true crime. Is that a good thing?
- A UN envoy says the Israel-Hamas war is spilling into Syria, which already has growing instability
Recommendation
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
Southern California wildfire prompts evacuation order for thousands as Santa Ana winds fuel flames
Texas AG Ken Paxton’s securities fraud trial set for April, more than 8 years after indictment
Police investigating death of US ice hockey player from skate blade cut in English game
The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
Colorado continues freefall in NCAA Re-Rank 1-133 after another loss
Kansas can’t enforce new law on abortion pills or make patients wait 24 hours, judge rules
Black community says highway project caused major flooding, threatening their homes