Current:Home > MarketsA Mississippi jury rules officers justified in fatal 2017 shooting after police went to wrong house -Infinite Edge Learning
A Mississippi jury rules officers justified in fatal 2017 shooting after police went to wrong house
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 07:10:19
OXFORD, Miss. (AP) — A Mississippi jury has rejected a civil lawsuit seeking money damages from two police officers who fatally shot a man while serving a warrant at the wrong house.
A federal court jury in Oxford on Thursday ruled that Southaven officers Zachary Durden and Samuel Maze had not violated the civil rights of Ismael Lopez when Durden shot him to death in 2017. The verdict came after a four-day trial in a lawsuit by Claudia Linares, the widow of Lopez, who sought $20 million in compensation.
“The verdict was that the jurors did not believe that the use of force used by Officers Durden and Maze was excessive in light of all the facts that they considered,” attorney Murray Wells told WREG-TV.
The case was notable in part because the city of Southaven had previously argued that Lopez had no civil rights to violate because the Mexican man was living in the United States illegally and faced deportation orders and criminal charges for illegally possessing guns.
A judge rejected that argument in 2020, finding constitutional rights apply to “all persons.”
The city of Southaven and now-retired Southaven Police Chief Steve Pirtle were dismissed from the case in June after Senior U.S. District Judge Michael P. Mills found they weren’t liable for the officers’ actions under federal law.
According to a report by the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation, Lopez and Linares were in bed on July 24, 2017, when officers knocked on the door of their trailer. The officers were intending to serve a domestic violence warrant on a neighbor across the street, but got the addresses confused.
Officers told the state investigators that they knocked on the door without identifying themselves. The door opened, a dog ran out, and Lopez pointed a rifle through the cracked door, officers said. Maze shot the dog and then, in quick succession, Durden fired multiple shots at Lopez.
A third officer on the scene told investigators he heard Durden order Lopez to drop the rifle several times before shooting Lopez.
No known video exists of the shooting.
The 41-year-old man died from a bullet that struck him in the rear of his skull, more than six feet (two meters) from the door. Police said he was running away.
Lawyers for Lopez, who died before he could be taken to a hospital, have disputed that he pointed the gun at officers. They noted his fingerprints and DNA were not found on the rifle, which was recovered more than six feet away from his body. They suggested that Durden shot Lopez because the officer was reacting to Maze shooting the dog.
When state investigators arrived, they found Lopez lying dead in a prone position with his hands cuffed behind his back in the middle of the living room. A rifle was laying on the couch.
After the shooting, a state grand jury declined to indict anyone in the case.
Southaven Mayor Darren Musselwhite, in a statement, again offered condolences to the family of Lopez, but praised the outcome.
“This verdict proves what we’ve believed to be correct since day one as our officers responded appropriately considering the circumstance of being threatened with deadly force,” Musselwhite said. “We’ve stood behind them during the last six years for this very reason and, for their sake, are glad this trial is over.”
veryGood! (8278)
Related
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- New York judge rejects Indiana ex-U.S. Rep. Steve Buyer’s request to remain free pending appeal
- Blinken calls for protecting civilians as Israel prepares an expected assault on Gaza
- Brussels shooter who killed 2 soccer fans in 'act of terrorism' shot dead by police
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Choice Hotels offers nearly $8 billion for larger rival Wyndham Hotels & Resorts as travel booms
- Martin Scorsese is still curious — and still awed by the possibilities of cinema
- New York judge rejects Indiana ex-U.S. Rep. Steve Buyer’s request to remain free pending appeal
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Wisconsin Republicans admit vote to fire elections chief had no legal effect
Ranking
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Kids are tuning into the violence of the Israel Hamas war. What parents should do.
- Pan American Games set to open in Chile with many athletes eyeing spots at the Paris Olympics
- Dak Prescott, Cowboys rally in fourth quarter for a 20-17 victory over the Chargers
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- 'Devastating': Colorado father says race was behind school stabbing attack on Black son
- UN refugee chief says Rohingya who fled Myanmar must not be forgotten during other world crises
- Gaza’s limited water supply raises concerns for human health
Recommendation
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
For the first time, Ukraine has used US-provided long-range ATACMS missiles against Russian forces
'Devastating': Colorado father says race was behind school stabbing attack on Black son
Clashes again erupt on the Lebanon-Israel border after an anti-tank missile is fired from Lebanon
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
M&M's Halloween Rescue Squad might help save you from an empty candy bowl on Halloween
Rite Aid files for bankruptcy amid opioid-related lawsuits and falling sales
Fijian leader hopes Australian submarines powered by US nuclear technology will enhance peace