Current:Home > InvestDeath toll on Maui climbs to 80, as questions over island's emergency response grow -Infinite Edge Learning
Death toll on Maui climbs to 80, as questions over island's emergency response grow
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:18:21
Rescue teams continue to search for survivors in Maui as the death toll from the devastating wildfires has risen to 80 and officials begin to assess the emergency response. Meanwhile, firefighters are still working to contain three separate wildfires on the Hawaiian island.
In the historic town of Lahaina, much of which was destroyed, about 85% of the fire has been contained, local officials said Friday night.
Containment does not necessarily mean a fire is not raging on. Rather, it refers to the perimeter that fire crews were able to create around the fire to keep it from spreading. That means, even if a fire is 100% contained, it could still be burning.
The Lahaina Fire in West Maui is estimated to have burned 2,170 acres and damaged or destroyed more than 2,200 structures. About 86% of the buildings that were exposed to the fire were residential, the Pacific Disaster Center said on Saturday.
In Ka'anapali, also in West Maui, a small fire that was sparked on Friday and forced mass evacuations has been completely contained. But the brief flames disrupted plans to distribute fuel on Saturday that had been stored in the area, local officials said.
Meanwhile, in South Maui, the blaze scorching Pulehu has been 80% contained.
On Friday, Attorney General Anne Lopez announced that her department will be conducting a review of decisions made leading up to, during and after the historic wildfires. The inquiry comes amid accusations from some residents that there were no warning sirens on Tuesday ahead of the fires, failing to give them enough time to prepare.
Much of the western part of Maui remains without power or water. Though some cell service has been restored, authorities have asked residents to text rather than talk over the phone because of severely limited bandwidth.
Access into West Maui has also been restricted, though the highway for vehicles leaving Lahaina remains open. Lahaina remains barricaded, with authorities warning people to stay out of the area due to toxic airborne particles. Officials also advise people nearby to wear masks and gloves.
More than 1,400 people remain in evacuation shelters on the island. A family assistance center is open this weekend in the city of Kahului for those looking for information about loved ones who are still unaccounted for.
About 1,000 people are missing, Maui County Police Chief John Pelletier estimated on Thursday, though he cautioned that "honestly we don't know."
NPR's Jason DeRose contributed to this report.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Man accused of killing 4 university students in Idaho loses bid to have indictment tossed
- Morant’s 34 points in stirring season debut lead Grizzlies to 115-113 win over Pelicans
- Thousands rally across Slovakia to protest the government’s plan to amend the penal code
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Chelsea and Fulham win penalty shootouts to reach English League Cup semifinals
- Tesla’s recall of 2 million vehicles to fix its Autopilot system uses technology that may not work
- Ho, ho, hello! How to change your smart doorbell to a festive tune this holiday season
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- 13,000 people watched a chair fall in New Jersey: Why this story has legs (or used to)
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Flooding continues across Northeast; thousands still without power: Live updates
- 26 Essential Gifts for True Crime Fans Everywhere
- Rodgers’ return will come next season with Jets out of playoff hunt and QB not 100% healthy
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Power outage maps: Over 500,000 customers without power in Maine, Massachusetts
- Australia and New Zealand leaders seek closer defense ties
- Defense secretary to hold meeting on reckless, dangerous attacks by Houthis on commercial ships in Red Sea
Recommendation
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
Group turned away at Mexican holiday party returned with gunmen killing 11, investigators say
Power outage maps: Over 500,000 customers without power in Maine, Massachusetts
Former Pennsylvania death row inmate freed after prosecutors drop charges before start of retrial
Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
Publix Spinach and Fresh Express Spinach recalled due to listeria fears
Coal miners lead paleontologists to partial mammoth fossil in North Dakota
Celine Dion's sister gives update on stiff-person syndrome, saying singer has no control of her muscles