Current:Home > ContactThousands of Las Vegas hospitality workers vote to authorize strike -Infinite Edge Learning
Thousands of Las Vegas hospitality workers vote to authorize strike
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:06:52
Las Vegas — Sin City is known for its extravagance. But behind the scenes are the tens of thousands who cook the meals, mix the drinks and clean the suites.
On Tuesday, they filled the Thomas & Mack Center at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, where members of both the Culinary Workers Union and its sister union, the Bartenders Union, voted by a 95% margin in favor of authorizing a strike if a new five-year labor deal is not reached.
The strike authorization applies to about 40,000 of the 60,000 members who make up the Culinary Workers and Bartenders unions across Nevada, the organizations said in a news release.
If a strike were to happen, it would impact 22 casinos on the Las Vegas Strip.
"They don't care about us," housekeeper Norma Quinones told CBS News. "All they care about is making their own money, making the companies rich."
Among their demands are significant wage increases, reduced workloads and more on-the-job safety protections, including expanding the use of safety buttons for workers in the event of criminal behavior by customers. They also want protections against company tracking technology.
"Rents being jacked up through the roof," said Ted Pappageorge, secretary-treasurer of the Culinary Workers Union. "...The cost of gas, the cost of groceries, the cost of electricity. So folks need a raise."
Three major hotel chains are negotiating with the unions. Talks are scheduled for next week.
MGM Resorts told CBS News in a statement Wednesday that it has a "decades-long history of bargaining successfully with the Las Vegas Culinary & Bartenders Unions. We continue to have productive meetings with the union and believe both parties are committed to negotiating a contract that is good for everyone."
Wynn Resorts said in a statement that it "has historically had a positive and cordial working relationship with labor unions and has always reached satisfactory agreements with each," calling its employees "the heart and soul of Wynn."
Wynn added that it would "continue to work" with the two unions "to reach an agreement that provides our employees with competitive wages and benefits, in a work environment that matches our high standards."
Caesars Entertainment did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
It has been the summer of strikes for American labor, and as yet another possible walkout looms, one has officially ended. The Writers Guild of America reached a tentative deal with Hollywood studios on Sunday, ending a strike that began in early May. It authorized its members to report back to work Wednesday.
Comedian Bill Maher announced his HBO show "Real Time" will return on Friday, and late-night talk shows will likely begin to return next week.
The new WGA deal includes wage increases, minimum staffing requirements on television shows, more transparent protocols for determining streaming residuals, and protections against the use of artificial intelligence.
The Screen Actors Guild's approximately 65,000 members have also been on strike since mid-July. On Wednesday evening, SAG-AFTRA announced that it would resume negotiations with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, the group that represents the major studios, on Oct. 2.
United Auto Workers began a strike Sept. 15 against the Big Three automakers — Ford, General Motors and Stellantis — with President Biden joining workers on the picket lines Tuesday in Detroit. So far, about 20,000 of the UAW's 150,000 members have walked off the job across 20 states.
- In:
- Nevada
- Strike
- Las Vegas
veryGood! (56729)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Fran Drescher tells NPR the breakthrough moment that ended the Hollywood strikes
- As a DJ, village priest in Portugal cues up faith and electronic dance music for global youth
- Taylor Swift's full Eras Tour setlist in South America: All 45 songs
- Trump's 'stop
- Imprisoned Algerian journalist remains behind bars despite expected release
- Demonstrators brawl outside LA’s Museum of Tolerance after screening of Hamas attack video
- How Travis Barker Is Already Bonding With His and Kourtney Kardashian's Baby Boy
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Melissa Rivers Reveals How Fiancé Steve Mitchel Asked Her Son Cooper's Permission Before Proposing
Ranking
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- 'Women Tell All' brings 'Golden Bachelor' confessions: But first, who did Gerry send home?
- Trump suggests he or another Republican president could use Justice Department to indict opponents
- Police investigate report of doll found decapitated at Ohio home flying Palestinian flag
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Jared Leto scales Empire State Building to announce Thirty Second to Mars world tour
- Trump ally Steve Bannon appeals conviction in Jan. 6 committee contempt case
- I expected an active retirement, but my body had other plans. I'm learning to embrace it.
Recommendation
DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
Former Indiana sheriff accused of having employees perform personal chores charged with theft
96-year-old Korean War veteran still attempting to get Purple Heart medal after 7 decades
Drinks giant Diageo sees share price slide after warning about sales in Caribbean and Latin America
Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
Imprisoned Algerian journalist remains behind bars despite expected release
Disputes over safety, cost swirl a year after California OK’d plan to keep last nuke plant running
Abortion providers seek to broaden access to the procedure in Indiana