Current:Home > MarketsJudge weighs arguments in case seeking to disqualify ranked choice repeal measure from Alaska ballot -Infinite Edge Learning
Judge weighs arguments in case seeking to disqualify ranked choice repeal measure from Alaska ballot
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 05:00:24
JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — State election officials acted properly when they allowed sponsors of a measure aimed at repealing Alaska’s ranked choice voting system to fix mistakes with dozens of petition booklets after they were already turned in, an attorney for the state said Tuesday.
The Division of Elections followed an “established interpretation” of the law, Assistant Attorney General Thomas Flynn told Superior Court Judge Christina Rankin.
Rankin heard arguments Tuesday in Anchorage in a lawsuit filed by three voters that alleges the division has no authority to allow sponsors to fix errors in a filed initiative petition on a rolling or piecemeal basis and asking her to disqualify the measure from the November ballot. Rankin did not immediately rule.
The two sides disagree on the interpretation of provisions of state law and regulation dealing with petition reviews.
Those seeking to get an initiative on the ballot need to go through a signature-gathering process and receive from the division booklets to gather signatures. Petition circulators need to attest to meeting certain requirements and have that affidavit notarized or certified.
Attorneys for the state in court records said the division found problems with more than 60 petition booklets — most involving a person whose notary commission had expired — and began notifying the initiative sponsors of the problems on Jan. 18, six days after the petition was turned in. The sponsors began returning corrected booklets on Feb. 12, and returned 62 corrected booklets before the division completed its signature count on March 8, Flynn and fellow attorney Lael Harrison wrote. No additional signatures were gathered during that time, they said.
“To say that what the division did is contrary to the regulation is not right,” Flynn said Tuesday.
But attorneys for the plaintiffs have countered that there is no law or regulation allowing the division to give select booklets back to the sponsors for fixes while the division’s verification process for the remaining booklets is underway. Division regulations require it to “either accept or reject a filed petition in its entirety,” a filing from attorneys Scott Kendall, Jahna Lindemuth and Samuel Gottstein says.
The plaintiffs’ attorneys also argued in court filings that by the time the sponsors of the repeal measure filed corrected booklets, key deadlines had already passed that would make it ineligible for the ballot.
Attorneys for the state and plaintiffs both agree the measure would not have sufficient signatures to qualify for the ballot if the 62 booklets were thrown out.
Kendall was an author of the successful 2020 ballot initiative that instituted open primaries and ranked vote general elections in Alaska. The system was used for the first time in 2022 and is set to be used again in this year’s elections.
Rankin peppered Kendall with questions during his arguments Tuesday. She also heard from Kevin Clarkson, an attorney representing the initiative sponsors, who intervened in the case. Clarkson and Lindemuth are former state attorneys general.
The plaintiffs also are challenging signature collecting methods by the sponsors.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Super Bowl 58 winners and losers: Patrick Mahomes sparks dynasty, 49ers falter late
- Super Bowl 58 bets gone wrong: From scoreless Travis Kelce to mistake-free Brock Purdy
- Alix Earle Reveals Why Dating With Acne Was So Scary for Her
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- If a Sports Bra and a Tank Top Had a Baby It Would Be This Ultra-Stretchy Cami- Get 3 for $29
- Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce’s Exchange After 2024 Super Bowl Win Proves Their Romance Is a Fairytale
- Proof Jason Kelce Was the True MVP of the Chiefs Super Bowl After-Party
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Get Glowy, Fresh Skin With Skin Gym’s and Therabody’s Skincare Deals Including an $9 Jade Roller & More
Ranking
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- State Farm commercial reuniting Arnold Schwarzenegger, Danny DeVito wins USA TODAY Ad Meter
- Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce Bask in Afterglow of Chiefs' Super Bowl Win With On-Field Kiss
- UCLA promotes longtime assistant DeShaun Foster to replace Chip Kelly as football coach
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- 'It's a love story': Taylor Swift congratulates Travis Kelce after Chiefs win Super Bowl
- Patrick Mahomes rallies the Chiefs to second straight Super Bowl title, 25-22 over 49ers in overtime
- Chiefs TE Travis Kelce yells at coach Andy Reid on Super Bowl sideline
Recommendation
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
Virginia’s Youngkin aims to bolster mental health care, part of national focus after the pandemic
The Chiefs have achieved dynasty status with their third Super Bowl title in five years
What Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce said right after Chiefs repeated as Super Bowl champs
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
Horoscopes Today, February 11, 2024
Blast inside Philadelphia apartment injures at least 1
Patrick Mahomes and Chiefs leave no doubt in Super Bowl: They're an all-time NFL dynasty