Current:Home > StocksNovaQuant-Entrapment in play as appeals court looks at plot to kidnap Michigan governor -Infinite Edge Learning
NovaQuant-Entrapment in play as appeals court looks at plot to kidnap Michigan governor
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 23:12:54
DETROIT (AP) — An appeals court is NovaQuantraising major questions about the trial of two key figures in a plot to kidnap Michigan’s governor — and putting federal prosecutors on the defensive as the government tries to preserve the extraordinary guilty verdicts.
After hearing arguments in May, the court took the uncommon step of asking for more written briefs on the impact of a trial judge’s decision to bar evidence that might have supported claims of entrapment made by Adam Fox and Barry Croft Jr.
Fox and Croft are in prison for leading a conspiracy to try to snatch Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in 2020. Prosecutors said a ragtag band of anti-government extremists had hoped that an abduction at her vacation home would spark a civil war around the same time as the presidential election.
Defense attorneys wanted jurors to see more communications between FBI handlers, undercover agents and paid informants who had fooled Fox and Croft and got inside the group. They argued that any plan to kidnap Whitmer was repeatedly pushed by those government actors.
But at the 2022 trial, U.S. District Judge Robert Jonker greatly restricted the use of certain text messages and audio recordings under his interpretation of evidence rules.
“Trials are about telling your story, giving your narrative, trying to persuade,” Croft’s appellate lawyer, Timothy Sweeney, told the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which posts audio on its website.
“When you’re denied the ability to use the rules of evidence where they benefit you, that is an unfair trial. ... This case needs to be reversed and sent back for a new trial for that reason,” Sweeney said.
He might have Judge Joan Larsen on his side. She was the most aggressive on the three-judge panel, at one point seeming incredulous with the government’s stance on an important legal precedent at play in the appeal.
“Oh, come on,” she told Assistant U.S. Attorney Nils Kessler. “Really?”
Larsen said defense lawyers wanted jurors to see that “government informants were just pounding” Fox and Croft.
“Make a plan, make a plan, make a plan — you’re just sitting around. You’re all talk, you’re no action, make a plan,” she said. “Surely that’s relevant.”
Kessler said any error by Jonker to keep out certain messages was harmless.
“They were talking about doing this before they ever met the informants,” he said. “Adam Fox said we need to take our tyrants as hostages two weeks before he had ever met a government informant. Barry Croft had been talking about it much longer.”
Lawyers met a Monday deadline to file additional briefs. Sweeney and co-counsel Steven Nolder said there were dozens of examples of excluded evidence that could have bolstered an entrapment defense.
The error “infested the entire trial,” they said in asking to have the convictions thrown out.
Kessler, however, said Fox and Croft didn’t need to be egged on by informants or undercover agents. He noted that weapons and bomb-making material were discovered after the FBI broke up the operation with arrests in October 2020. Whitmer, a Democrat, was never physically harmed.
The jury would not have been convinced that “Fox or Croft were ‘pushed’ against their will into conspiring to use explosives or conspiring to kidnap the governor,” Kessler said.
It’s not known when the appeals court will release an opinion. Another issue for the court is an allegation of juror bias.
Prosecutors had a mixed record in the overall investigation: There were five acquittals among 14 people charged in state or federal court. Fox, 41, and Croft, 48, were convicted at a second trial after a jury at the first trial couldn’t reach a unanimous verdict.
___
Follow Ed White on X at: https://twitter.com/edwritez
veryGood! (5966)
Related
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- The Excerpt podcast: Despite available federal grant money, traffic deaths are soaring
- Organizations work to assist dozens of families displaced by Texas wildfires
- Two fragile DC neighborhoods hang in the balance as the Wizards and Capitals consider leaving town
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Body of missing Florida teen Madeline Soto found, sheriff says
- Trump endorses Mark Robinson for North Carolina governor and compares him to Martin Luther King Jr.
- The enduring story for Underground Railroad Quilts
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Fans gather to say goodbye to Flaco the owl in New York City memorial
Ranking
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- For people in Gaza, the war with Israel has made a simple phone call anything but
- The Missouri governor shortens the DWI prison sentence of former Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid
- Women report sexual harassment at glitzy legal tech events in a #MeToo moment
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- U.S. official says there's a deal on the table for a proposed cease-fire, hostage release deal with Hamas
- Johnny Manziel won't attend Heisman Trophy ceremony until Reggie Bush gets trophy back
- Immigration ‘parole’ is a well-worn tool for US presidents. It faces a big test in 2024 elections
Recommendation
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Oklahoma softball upset by Louisiana as NCAA-record win streak ends at 71 games
Body of missing Florida teen Madeline Soto found, sheriff says
Bruce Willis' Wife Emma Sets the Record Straight About Actor and His Dementia Battle
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Nikki Haley rejects third-party No Labels presidential bid, says she wouldn't be able to work with a Democratic VP
Texas firefighters battle flames stoked by strong winds as warnings are issued across the region
Texas police arrest suspect in abduction of 12-year-old girl who was found safe after 8 days