Current:Home > ScamsEchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Prince Harry drops libel lawsuit against Daily Mail publisher -Infinite Edge Learning
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Prince Harry drops libel lawsuit against Daily Mail publisher
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 02:12:11
Prince Harry is dropping a lawsuit against the Daily Mail's publisher after he was unable to win the libel case before a trial and EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Centerwas ordered to pay tens of thousands of pounds in legal fees.
Harry's lawyers on Friday told the High Court in London that his case against Associated Newspapers Ltd won't proceed, without providing a reason.
This came after a judge in December ordered the Duke of Sussex to pay the publisher almost 50,000 pounds, or more than $60,000, in legal fees after he failed to win the case without a trial. At the time, Justice Matthew Nicklin said that a libel trial would be scheduled for between May and July.
Harry must now pay the publisher's legal fees, which the Daily Mail reported to be 250,000 pounds, or about $316,000. A spokesperson for the duke said it was premature to speculate about costs.
Why was Prince Harry suing the Daily Mail's publisher?
In his lawsuit, Harry claimed that an article in the Mail on Sunday, sister paper to Daily Mail, accused him of trying to mislead the public about a legal battle with the government over his police protection, which was stripped away when he and his wife, Duchess Meghan, announced they would no longer be working royals.
Harry's lawyers claimed the article attacked his honesty and integrity by purporting to reveal that court documents "contradicted public statements he had previously made about his willingness to pay for police protection for himself and his family whilst in the U.K." He said the article would undermine his charity work.
The publisher argued the article expressed an honest opinion and caused no serious harm to his reputation.
Harry attempted to win the case without going to trial in March by seeking a summary judgment, but was unsuccessful. Nicklin determined that the publisher had a "real prospect" of showing statements issued on Harry's behalf were misleading and that the February 2022 article reflected an "honest opinion" and wasn't libelous.
"The defendant may well submit that this was a masterclass in the art of 'spinning,'" Nicklin wrote.
Prince Harryordered to pay Daily Mail over $60K in legal fees following failed court challenge
Prince Harry embroiled in more lawsuits with tabloids
Harry, 39, the estranged younger son of King Charles III, has broken ranks with the royal family in his willingness to go to court and it has become the main forum for his battles with the British press.
Associated Newspapers is one of three tabloid publishers he's suing over claims they used unlawful means, such as deception, phone hacking or hiring private investigators, to try to dig up dirt on him. In December, Harry won a lawsuit against the publisher of the Daily Mirror after a judge found Mirror Group Newspapers' phone hacking was "widespread and habitual." He was awarded more than 140,000 pounds, or about $180,000.
Prince Harry's lawsuits:What to know, from phone hacking to aerial photos
Harry is also suing to try and overturn the decision to eliminate state-funded protection given he and his wife are not part of the working-royal group. Harry's spokesperson said his focus remains on that case and his family’s safety.
Contributing: Brian Melley, The Associated Press; Marco della Cava, USA TODAY
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- District attorney’s office staffer tried to make a bomb to blow up migrant shelter, police say
- New Orleans, US Justice Department move to end police department’s consent decree
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs impregnated victim, Yung Miami encouraged abortion, lawsuit alleges
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Joe Wolf, who played for North Carolina and 7 NBA teams, dies at 59
- Chappell Roan drops out of All Things Go music festival: ‘Things have gotten overwhelming’
- Martha Stewart Shares the Cooking Hack Chefs Have Been Gatekeeping for Years
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Joe Wolf, who played for North Carolina and 7 NBA teams, dies at 59
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Rescuers save and assist hundreds as Helene’s storm surge and rain create havoc
- Officials warn that EVs could catch fire if inundated with saltwater from Hurricane Helene
- Prince fans can party overnight like it’s 1999 with Airbnb rental of ‘Purple Rain’ house
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Jimmy Carter at 100: A century of changes for a president, the US and the world since 1924
- Shawn Johnson Reveals the Milestone 9-Month-Old Son Bear Hit That Nearly Gave Her a Heart Attack
- Woman loses over 700 pounds of bologna after Texas border inspection
Recommendation
Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
People are supporting 'book sanctuaries' despite politics: 'No one wants to be censored'
North Carolina appeals court blocks use of university’s digital ID for voting
The Special Reason Hoda Kotb Wore an M Necklace While Announcing Today Show Exit
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Facing a possible strike at US ports, Biden administration urges operators to negotiate with unions
Joe Wolf, who played for North Carolina and 7 NBA teams, dies at 59
Dame Maggie Smith, 'Downton Abbey' star and Professor McGonagall in 'Harry Potter,' dies at 89