Current:Home > StocksTradeEdge-Israel-Hamas cease-fire hope fades, Palestinians told to evacuate east Rafah ahead of expected offensive -Infinite Edge Learning
TradeEdge-Israel-Hamas cease-fire hope fades, Palestinians told to evacuate east Rafah ahead of expected offensive
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 22:57:48
Israel's military ordered Palestinians in the eastern part of the Gaza Strip city of Rafah to evacuate Monday ahead of a ground offensive long promised by the Jewish state's leaders. The TradeEdgemessage was delivered with fliers, phone calls, messages and media broadcasts in Arabic after a weekend that saw hope for a new cease-fire in the seven-month Israel-Hamas war dashed yet again.
People quickly started fleeing from the eastern part of Rafah on Monday, on foot or by any other means available to them. There were reports of Israeli airstrikes hitting eastern Rafah just hours after the evacuation order was given, but the military did not immediately confirm any new strikes on the crowded city.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government had stressed its intent to carry out an incursion into Rafah, Gaza's southernmost city, over the last week despite last-ditch efforts led by the U.S., Qatar and Egypt to broker a new cease-fire deal.
Those diplomatic efforts appeared to fizzle by Sunday however, with Israel and Hamas blaming each other for the impasse and Hamas then carrying out a deadly rocket attack on an Israeli military checkpoint near a key border crossing between Israel and Gaza.
President Biden has pushed Israel for weeks to limit the scope of any Rafah operation and not to launch a ground offensive on the city without ensuring the safety of more than 1 million displaced Palestinian civilians believed to have sought refuge there from across the Gaza Strip.
Mr. Biden spoke with Netanyahu again on Monday in a phone call that lasted about half an hour, a White House official told CBS News. In a readout on that call, the White House said Mr. Biden had "reiterated his clear position on Rafah."
A U.S. official said before the conversation that the Biden administration had already made its views clear about the prospect of a major ground invasion of Rafah, saying: "We continue to believe that a hostage deal is the best way to preserve the lives of the hostages, and avoid an invasion of Rafah, where more than a million people are sheltering."
The Israel Defense Forces said Monday that it expected to evacuate as many as 100,000 people from the eastern part of Rafah. Residents were told in the messages to head several miles to the northwest, to the al-Mawasi area on Gaza's Mediterranean coast, where humanitarian relief has been prepared. The military said those preparations included basic necessities such as food, water and medicines, in addition to a field hospital.
While there had been hope last week that the latest flurry of international diplomacy might yield a new agreement to secure the release of dozens more Israeli hostages held in Gaza in exchange for a halt in the fighting — averting a Rafah offensive — the IDF appeared to be preparing for that operation in the wake of the Hamas attack on the Kerem Shalom border crossing.
Hamas militants launched the rocket attack Sunday from the eastern part of Rafah, hitting the IDF checkpoint only about 1,000 feet away, next to the crossing point. The strike killed four IDF soldiers and wounded at least several more, the military said Monday, raising the death toll given the previous day by one.
The IDF would not confirm that the evacuation order issued Monday was linked directly to the Hamas attack on the Kerem Shalom crossing.
Hamas spokesperson Sami Abu Zuhuri was quoted by the Reuters news agency Monday as saying the evacuation order constituted "a dangerous escalation" on Israel's part, which he warned would "have consequences."
Zuhuri blamed the U.S. for continuing to back Israel in the war, which was sparked by Hamas' unprecedented Oct. 7 terrorist attack on Israel, which saw the militants kill some 1,200 people and take about 240 others hostage. About 100 of those captives, including five U.S. nationals, are still believed to be alive, held by Hamas or its allies in Gaza.
- Queen Rania of Jordan says U.S. is seen as "enabler" of Israel
The Axios news outlet, citing an unnamed official with Hamas, said Monday that the group — long designated a terrorist organization by Israel and the U.S. — was threatening to walk away from the negotiations for another hostage release and cease-fire over the evacuation order.
Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant, addressing IDF troops in Gaza during a visit Sunday, said Israel saw "signs that Hamas does not intend to follow any plan" for a cease-fire, which he said would mean "an intense action in Rafah in the near future, and in other places all over the strip."
For the hundreds of thousands of Palestinians who've sought refuge in Rafah — many of them displaced multiple times already by Israel's war with Gaza's Hamas rulers — Monday morning brought more fear and uncertainty.
"They are calling people in the eastern area of Rafah, some also in the west, near the Rafah crossing, ordering them to leave," said Palestinian Abu Muhey, who has been sheltering with family members north of Rafah. "We don't know what to do, but I will take my family to Deir Al-Balah," he said, suggesting they would try to flee even further north in the decimated Palestinian territory.
Given the scale of destruction in Gaza already, U.S. officials have voiced concern for weeks about the feasibility of moving so many people out of harm's way in advance of any Rafah offensive. The United Nations, meanwhile, along with neigboring nations and a range of aid organizations, has issued a series of increasingly dire warnings that a full-scale military operation in the city would leave hundreds of thousands of civilians at risk of death.
- Why Israel is so determined to launch a ground operation in Rafah
"An Israeli offensive in #Rafah would mean more civilian suffering & deaths. The consequences would be devastating for 1.4 million people," the U.N.'s humanitarian agency for Palestinians, UNRWA, reiterated in a social media post on Monday.
"UNRWA is not evacuating," the U.N. agency stated bluntly in its tweet. "The Agency will maintain a presence in Rafah as long as possible & will continue providing lifesaving aid to people."
The foreign minister of neighboring Jordan, in a message posted Monday on social media, warned that "another massacre of the Palestinians is in the making."
"Israel is warning Palestinians to leave Rafah as it threatens an attack," said Foreign Minister Ayman Safadi. "All must act now to prevent it. Failure to prevent the massacre will be an indelible stain on Int'l Cmyt (the International Community). Too many massacres have been allowed. Enough."
Netanyahu has balked publicly at the tremendous international pressure, refusing to back down from his plan to order a ground offensive in Rafah, which he says is needed to destroy Hamas combat battalions still operating in the city.
"If Israel is forced to stand alone, Israel will stand alone," Netanyahu said Sunday in a speech as his country marked its annual Holocaust memorial day. "I say to the leaders of the world: No amount of pressure, no decision by any international forum will stop Israel from defending itself."
- In:
- War
- Hamas
- Israel
- Palestinians
- Gaza Strip
- Middle East
- Benjamin Netanyahu
Ramy Inocencio is a foreign correspondent for CBS News based in London and previously served as Asia correspondent based in Beijing.
TwitterveryGood! (33)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- No candy for you. Some towns ban older kids from trick-or-treating on Halloween
- Suspect arrested in Tampa shooting that killed 2, injured 18
- Friends' Kathleen Turner Reflects on Onscreen Son Matthew Perry's Good Heart After His Death
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Nine QB trade, free agency options for Vikings after Kirk Cousins' injury: Who could step in?
- Biden plans to step up government oversight of AI with new 'pressure tests'
- Kaitlin Armstrong murder trial set to begin in slaying of professional cyclist
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Nine QB trade, free agency options for Vikings after Kirk Cousins' injury: Who could step in?
Ranking
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Deadly explosion off Nigeria points to threat posed by aging oil ships around the world
- A cosplay model claims she stabbed her fiancé in self-defense; prosecutors say security cameras prove otherwise
- Winning ugly is a necessity in the NFL. For the Jaguars, it's a big breakthrough.
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- SoCal's beautiful coast has a hidden secret: The 'barrens' of climate change
- Leftover Halloween candy? We've got you covered with these ideas for repurposing sweets
- Israel opens new phase in war against Hamas, Netanyahu says, as Gaza ground operation expands
Recommendation
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Ukrainian officials say Russian shelling killed a 91-year-old woman in a ‘terrifying night’
Some striking UAW members carry family legacies, Black middle-class future along with picket signs
Credit card interest rates are at a record high. Here's what you can do to cut debt.
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
Biden wants to move fast on AI safeguards and will sign an executive order to address his concerns
Sam Bankman-Fried testimony: FTX founder testifies on Alameda Research concerns
Newly elected regional lawmaker for a far-right party arrested in Germany