Current:Home > ScamsChainkeen|Yemen's Houthis claim drone strike on Tel Aviv that Israeli military says killed 1 and wounded 8 people -Infinite Edge Learning
Chainkeen|Yemen's Houthis claim drone strike on Tel Aviv that Israeli military says killed 1 and wounded 8 people
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 05:10:18
A large explosion rocked the streets of central Tel Aviv in the early Friday morning hours,Chainkeen jolting Israelis out of bed, shattering windows and raining down shrapnel in what Yemen's Houthi rebels claimed as an attack using a new explosive drone. Israeli officials said later Friday morning that the blast was caused by a drone fired from Yemen, and that one man in his 50s was killed by shrapnel that tore into his home and at least eight other people were wounded.
The Iran-backed Houthi movement, which has been fighting Yemen's internationally recognized government in a decade-long civil war, claimed responsibility for the explosion, saying in social media messages that it marked a "new phase" in its operations against Israel in response to the Israelis' ongoing war against the Houthis' ideological ally Hamas.
The Houthis said the strike used a "new drone called 'Yafa', which is capable of bypassing the enemy's interception systems," but a U.S. official told CBS News on Friday, echoing the Israeli military's analysis, that it appeared to have been one of the group's existing drones, with a modified fuel tank to extend its range.
The explosion caused by the drone was very near the U.S. consulate in Tel Aviv, but it remained unclear whether that was the target. There were no U.S. casualties reported.
Israeli authorities said the explosion hit an apartment building in Tel Aviv at 3:12 a.m. (7:12 p.m. Eastern on Thursday).
In a statement, Israel Defense Forces chief spokesperson Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari said the drone "hit a building in central Tel Aviv where a civilian was killed and eight were slightly injured." He confirmed that "no alert was triggered" and said the military was investigating how the weapon had slipped through Israel's advanced air defenses.
Hagari said a preliminary investigation showed the drone "was fired from Yemen and it is an Iranian weapon that has been upgraded to extend the range."
"Iran supports and arms its affiliates. So far, dozens of drones have been launched from Yemen, most of which were intercepted or shot down by CENTCOM [U.S. military] or Israel's defense systems," Hagari said, adding that another drone was shot down outside the Israel's borders early Friday as it approached from the east, and that the military was "checking the connection between the two events."
Three U.S. officials told CBS News there are currently no U.S. Navy ships deployed in the Red Sea, which could have helped to intercept the drone. The official said it was not part of a swarm attack, but a solitary drone launched at Israel.
Based on verified social media videos, CBS News confirmed the blast occurred a little more than 200 yards from the U.S. consulate in Tel Aviv. A U.S. official told CBS News that no American casualties had been reported.
The Houthis have launched drones and missiles at Israel and at commercial and military vessels in the Red Sea and surrounding waters throughout the nine-month war, in solidarity with Hamas. But until Friday, all the weapons fired at Israel had been intercepted by either Israel or its Western allies.
Israel has so far not carried out any attacks on the Houthis directly, allowing its allies the U.S. and Britain to take the lead instead as it focuses its efforts on the war in Gaza and ongoing fighting with Lebanon's Hezbollah militant group, which is also backed by Iran.
In a statement issued later Friday, Israeli Minister of Defense Yoav Gallant vowed to "bring to justice anyone who harms the State of Israel," and said he had held an assessment "to review the steps required to strengthen our defense arrays in light of events overnight, as well as the intelligence and operational activities required against those responsible for the attack."
CBS News' Eleanor Watson in Washington D.C. contributed to this report.
- In:
- Israel
- Tel Aviv
- Explosion
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Barry Bonds 'knew I needed to come' to Rickwood Field for his godfather, Willie Mays
- Gun injuries in 2023 still at higher rates than before pandemic across most states, CDC reports
- Why a USC student won't be charged in fatal stabbing of alleged car thief near campus
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Traveling exhibit details life of Andrew Young, diplomat, civil rights icon
- Nothing like a popsicle on a hot day. Just ask the leopards at the Tampa zoo
- Buttigieg tours Mississippi civil rights site and says transportation is key to equity in the US
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Prince William Takes Kids to Taylor Swift's Eras Tour Concert for His Birthday
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Possible return of Limited Too sends internet into a frenzy: 'Please be for adults'
- Family of Black man shot while holding cellphone want murder trial for SWAT officer
- The Daily Money: Which candidate is better for the economy?
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Judge rules that New York state prisons violate solitary confinement rules
- Who is Alex Sarr? What to know about top NBA draft prospect from France
- 'Bachelor' star Clayton Echard wins paternity suit; judge refers accuser for prosecution
Recommendation
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
Trump campaign says it raised $141 million in May, compared to $85 million for Biden
Facial gum is all the rage on TikTok. So does it work?
The Daily Money: Which candidate is better for the economy?
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
Woman ID'd 21 years after body, jewelry found by Florida landscapers; search underway for killer
Should cellphones be banned from classrooms? What students, teachers say
Hiker in California paralyzed from spider bite, rescued after last-minute phone call