Current:Home > NewsRory McIlroy shoots down LIV Golf rumors: 'I will play the PGA Tour for the rest of my career' -Infinite Edge Learning
Rory McIlroy shoots down LIV Golf rumors: 'I will play the PGA Tour for the rest of my career'
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:09:44
Rory McIlroy maintains he's sticking with the PGA Tour following a report that LIV Golf offered him $850 million and an ownership stake to join the league.
"I honestly don't know how these things get started. I've never been offered a number from LIV and I've never contemplated going to LIV," McIlroy told Golf Channel.
"I think I've made it clear over the past two years that I don't think it's something for me. Doesn't mean that I judge people that have went and played over there — I think one of the things that I've realized over the past two years is people can make their own decisions for whatever they think is best for themselves and who are we to judge them for that? But personally, for me, my future is here on the PGA Tour and it's never been any different."
McIlroy doubled down on his commitment to the PGA Tour, saying he will spend the rest of his career with it.
"Over the last two years there's been so many rumors of guys — I think the one thing I've realized as well ... guys need to keep an open mind. I'm sure there's been players that are still playing on the PGA Tour that have talked to the guys from LIV and had offers and whatever. .... It's never even been a conversation for us.
"It's one of those things. It's unfortunate that we have to deal with it and this is the state that our game's in. But I'm obviously here today and I'm playing this PGA Tour event next week and I will play the PGA Tour for the rest of my career."
McIlroy's agent said there was "zero truth" to the rumors and labeled them as "fake news."
The four-time major champ had been one of LIV Golf's more vocal critics since its inception, going so far as to say last year that, "If LIV Golf was the last place to play golf on Earth, I would retire." McIlroy's stance on the Saudi-funded tour appears to have softened somewhat in recent months, however.
"I wouldn't say I've lost the fight against LIV, but I've just accepted the fact that this is part of our sport now," McIlroy said in January.
He added then he was "maybe a little judgmental of the guys who went to LIV Golf at the start, and I think it was a bit of a mistake on my part because I now realize that not everyone is in my position or in Tiger Woods' position."
He echoed many of those comments while speaking Tuesday with Golf Channel. His personal commitment to the PGA Tour, though, appears to remain firm.
veryGood! (2422)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Alleged homicide suspect fatally shot by police in San Francisco Bay Area
- Woman falls to her death from 140-foot cliff in Arizona while hiking with husband and 1-year-old child
- Brittany Cartwright Claps Back at Comments Her Boobs Make Her Look Heavier
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Bryan Kohberger's attorneys claim cellphone data shows he was not at home where murders took place
- Meet Edgar Barrera: The Grammy winner writing hits for Shakira, Bad Bunny, Karol G and more
- 50* biggest NFL draft busts of last 50 years: Trey Lance, other 2021 QBs already infamous
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Travis Barker Proves Baby Rocky Is Growing Fast in Rare Photos With Kourtney Kardashian
Ranking
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Orlando Bloom Reveals Whether Kids Flynn and Daisy Inherited His Taste For Adventure
- 50* biggest NFL draft busts of last 50 years: Trey Lance, other 2021 QBs already infamous
- Georgia beach town, Tybee Island, trying to curb Orange Crush, large annual gathering of Black college students
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Most student loan borrowers have delayed major life events due to debt, recent poll says
- 24 Affordable Bridesmaids Gifts They'll Actually Use
- Missouri lawmakers expand private school scholarships backed by tax credits
Recommendation
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
Jenna Bush Hager says 'mama's done' after losing kid at daughter's birthday party
Brittany Cartwright Claps Back at Comments Her Boobs Make Her Look Heavier
Travis Kelce’s Ex Kayla Nicole Responds to “Constant Vitriol”
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Pennsylvania House Dems propose new expulsion rules after remote voting by lawmaker facing a warrant
High mercury levels in some Lake Maurepas fish bring meal restrictions, state officials say
AP Week in Pictures: North America