Current:Home > InvestFastexy:Senegalese opposition leader Sonko regains consciousness but remains on hunger strike, lawyer says -Infinite Edge Learning
Fastexy:Senegalese opposition leader Sonko regains consciousness but remains on hunger strike, lawyer says
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 23:05:58
DAKAR,Fastexy Senegal (AP) — A lawyer for Senegalese opposition leader Ousmane Sonko said Thursday that the detained politician had regained consciousness but remains “in a very precarious condition” on hunger strike.
Sonko, a popular figure with young Senegalese who placed third in the last presidential election, first began refusing food after he was placed in detention in late July. He later suspended the protest measure following mediation but resumed a hunger strike on Oct. 17, according to lawyer Juan Branco.
Branco told The Associated Press that the opposition leader “is still being treated by a resuscitation team with the risk of a major relapse.” That assessment comes after Sonko’s supporters said earlier this week he had lapsed into a coma.
Sonko’s supporters believe the slew of criminal allegations brought against him since 2021 are part of an orchestrated campaign to derail his political aspirations ahead of a presidential election in February.
In June, Sonko was acquitted on charges of raping a woman who worked at a massage parlor and making death threats against her. But he was convicted of corrupting youth and sentenced to two years in prison, which ignited deadly protests across the country.
In late July, Senegalese authorities formally dissolved Sonko’s political party and placed him in detention. He is now facing charges of calling for insurrection, conspiracy against the state and other alleged crimes.
The government has not commented on Sonko’s health since August, when he was transferred to a hospital “presenting a general weakness linked to his refusal to eat.” He was later transferred to the intensive care unit for treatment before suspending his strike after the mediation effort.
Sonko was removed from the electoral roll by the Interior Ministry following his conviction. But this decision was overturned by a judge in the southern city of Ziguinchor, who ordered that he be allowed to have sponsorship forms for the presidential election in the same way as other candidates.
Sonko’s chances of taking part in the upcoming election are uncertain, as the Supreme Court has yet to rule on the decision taken by the judge of the Ziguinchor district court.
veryGood! (866)
Related
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Alleged Maine gunman tried to buy a silencer months before Lewiston shootings
- Kentucky Derby winner Mage out of Breeders’ Cup Classic, trainer says horse has decreased appetite
- Abercrombie & Fitch, former CEO Mike Jeffries accused of running trafficking operation
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- It's been one year since Elon Musk bought Twitter. Now called X, the service has lost advertisers and users.
- What is a walking school bus? Hint: It has no tires but lots of feet and lots of soul
- In Myanmar, a Facebook post deemed inflammatory led to an ex-minister’s arrest
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- The FDA warns consumers to stop using several eyedrop products due to infection risk
Ranking
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Their sacrifice: Selfess Diamondbacks 'inch closer,' even World Series with 16-hit ambush
- MLB to vote on Oakland A's relocation to Las Vegas next month
- AP Top 25 Takeaways: No. 6 OU upset; No. 8 Oregon flexes; No. 1 UGA, No. 4 FSU roll before CFP debut
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Alleged Maine gunman tried to buy a silencer months before Lewiston shootings
- 2 dead, 18 injured in Tampa street shooting, police say
- More help arrives in Acapulco, and hurricane’s death toll rises to 39 as searchers comb debris
Recommendation
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Hilarie Burton Raving About Jeffrey Dean Morgan Will Make You Believe in Soulmates
Poultry companies ask judge to dismiss ruling that they polluted an Oklahoma watershed
Former Vice President Mike Pence ends campaign for the White House after struggling to gain traction
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
Rangers star Corey Seager shows raw emotion in dramatic World Series comeback
Matthew Perry Dead at 54
Winner of albinism pageant says Zimbabwe event made her feel beautiful and provided sense of purpose