Current:Home > InvestSan Jose State volleyball at the center of another decision on forfeiting -Infinite Edge Learning
San Jose State volleyball at the center of another decision on forfeiting
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 23:56:14
The University of Nevada has made it clear that its Oct. 26 volleyball match against San Jose State will go on as scheduled after the team’s players released an independent statement saying they would “refuse to participate in any match that advances injustice against female athletes.”
Four teams had previously canceled games against San Jose State: Boise State, Southern Utah, Utah State and Wyoming, with none of the schools explicitly saying why they were forfeiting.
“We demand that our right to safety and fair competition on the court be upheld,” read the Nevada players’ statement, which the university said Monday was released the day prior without consultation with school officials.
The Republican governors of Idaho, Utah and Wyoming have made public statements in support of the cancellations, citing a need for fairness in women’s sports.
Nevada’s Republican Governor, Joe Lombardo, posted Tuesday on the social platform X that he “wholeheartedly respect the decision of the players. No student athlete should ever be pressured to play a game where they don’t feel safe — period.”
San Jose State has not made any direct comments about the politicians’ “fairness” references.
Nevada’s athletic department cited state equality laws as the reason it couldn’t back out of its match, while acknowledging most of the players said they wouldn’t take the court.
The athletic department also stated the university is “governed by federal law as well as the rules and regulations of the NCAA and the Mountain West Conference, which include providing competition in an inclusive and supportive environment.”
Nevada’s Republican lieutenant governor also supported a cancellation before the school corrected its course.
The athletic department said players will not be subject to disciplinary action if they refuse to participate in the match.
“The players’ decision and statement were made independently, and without consultation with the University or the athletic department,” Nevada athletics’ statement read. “The players’ decision also does not represent the position of the University.”
Nevada senior Sia Liilii told OutKick the team was upset with its athletic department.
“We decided that we’re going to stand in solidarity with other teams that have already forfeited and that we wouldn’t participate in a game that advances sex-based discrimination or injustice against female athletes,” Liilii told the website.
The cancellations could cause some teams to not qualify for the conference tournament Nov. 27-30 in Las Vegas.
___
AP college sports: https://apnews.com/hub/college-sports
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- What to know about Maine's gun laws after Lewiston mass shooting
- AP Week in Pictures: Latin America and Caribbean
- University of Louisiana System’s board appoints Grambling State’s leader as new president
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Wisconsin Republicans back bill outlawing race- and diversity-based university financial aid
- Survivors of deadly Hurricane Otis grow desperate for food and aid amid slow government response
- Sudan’s army and rival paramilitary force resume peace talks in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia says
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Buccaneers vs. Bills live updates: Predictions, odds, how to watch Thursday Night Football
Ranking
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Maryland Supreme Court posthumously admits Black man to bar, 166 years after rejecting him
- New York governor dodges questions on who paid for her trip to wartime Israel
- Pedro Argote, wanted in killing of Maryland judge, found dead
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Grand jury indicts Illinois man on hate crime, murder charges in attack on Muslim mom, son
- TikTok returns to the campaign trail but not everyone thinks it's a good idea
- 2% of kids and 7% of adults have gotten the new COVID shots, US data show
Recommendation
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
Former Ohio State OL Dawand Jones suspected Michigan had Buckeyes' signs during 2022 game
Blac Chyna Reveals Where She Stands With the Kardashian-Jenner Family After Past Drama
The White House and Google launch a new virtual tour with audio captions, Spanish translation
All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
Special counsel urges judge to reinstate limited gag order against Trump
Blac Chyna Reveals Where She Stands With the Kardashian-Jenner Family After Past Drama
Exclusive: Mother of 6-year-old Muslim boy killed in alleged hate crime speaks out