Current:Home > FinanceMigrants lacking passports must now submit to facial recognition to board flights in US -Infinite Edge Learning
Migrants lacking passports must now submit to facial recognition to board flights in US
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 06:53:07
McALLEN, Texas (AP) — The U.S. government has started requiring migrants without passports to submit to facial recognition technology to take domestic flights under a change that prompted confusion this week among immigrants and advocacy groups in Texas.
It is not clear exactly when the change took effect, but several migrants with flights out of South Texas on Tuesday told advocacy groups that they thought they were being turned away. The migrants included people who had used the government’s online appointment system to pursue their immigration cases. Advocates were also concerned about migrants who had crossed the U.S.-Mexico border illegally before being processed by Border Patrol agents and released to pursue their immigration cases.
The Transportation Security Administration told The Associated Press on Thursday that migrants without proper photo identification who want to board flights must submit to facial recognition technology to verify their identity using Department of Homeland Security records.
“If TSA cannot match their identity to DHS records, they will also be denied entry into the secure areas of the airport and will be denied boarding,” the agency said.
Agency officials did not say when TSA made the change, only that it was recent and not in response to a specific security threat.
It’s not clear how many migrants might be affected. Some have foreign passports.
Migrants and strained communities on the U.S.-Mexico border have become increasingly dependent on airlines to get people to other cities where they have friends and family and where Border Patrol often orders them to go to proceed with their immigration claims.
Groups that work with migrants said the change caught them off guard. Migrants wondered if they might lose hundreds of dollars spent on nonrefundable tickets. After group of migrants returned to a shelter in McAllen on Tuesday, saying they were turned away at the airport, advocates exchanged messages trying to figure out what the new TSA procedures were.
“It caused a tremendous amount of distress for people,” said the Rev. Brian Strassburger, the executive director of Del Camino Jesuit Border Ministries, a group in Texas that provides humanitarian aid and advocacy for migrants.
Strassburger said that previously migrants were able to board flights with documents they had from Border Patrol.
One Ecuadorian woman traveling with her child told the AP she was able to board easily on Wednesday after allowing officers to take a photo of her at the TSA checkpoint.
___
Associated Press writer Elliot Spagat in San Diego contributed to this report.
veryGood! (99)
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Disney sues Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, claiming 'government retaliation'
- Forecasters Tap High-Tech Tools as US Warns of Another Unusually Active Hurricane Season
- A Biomass Power Plant in Rural North Carolina Reignites Concerns Over Clean Energy and Environmental Justice
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Elizabeth Holmes' prison sentence has been delayed
- The dating game that does your taxes
- As Animals Migrate Because of Climate Change, Thousands of New Viruses Will Hop From Wildlife to Humans—and Mitigation Won’t Stop Them
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- California becomes the first state to adopt emission rules for trains
Ranking
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Amid Punishing Drought, California Is Set to Adopt Rules to Reduce Water Leaks. The Process has Lagged
- Roy Wood Jr. wants laughs from White House Correspondents' speech — and reparations
- Taylor Swift Goes Back to December With Speak Now Song in Summer I Turned Pretty Trailer
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Nuclear Fusion: Why the Race to Harness the Power of the Sun Just Sped Up
- Zac Efron Shares Rare Photo With Little Sister Olivia and Brother Henry During the Greatest Circus Trip
- ESPN announces layoffs as part of Disney's moves to cut costs
Recommendation
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Where Are Interest Rates Going?
Fernanda Ramirez Is “Obsessed With” This Long-Lasting, Non-Sticky Lip Gloss
Expansion of a Lucrative Dairy Digester Market is Sowing Environmental Worries in the U.S.
DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
A group of state AGs calls for a national recall of high-theft Hyundai, Kia vehicles
Ezra Miller Breaks Silence After Egregious Protective Order Is Lifted
Fired Tucker Carlson producer: Misogyny and bullying 'trickles down from the top'