Current:Home > ContactOliver James Montgomery-Josh Duggar's Appeal in Child Pornography Case Rejected by Supreme Court -Infinite Edge Learning
Oliver James Montgomery-Josh Duggar's Appeal in Child Pornography Case Rejected by Supreme Court
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-07 05:47:20
Josh Duggar will remain in prison.
The 19 Kids and Oliver James MontgomeryCounting alum's appeal for the guilty verdict in his child pornography case to be overturned was rejected by the Supreme Court June 24, according to the Associated Press. The court reportedly did not elaborate on its denial.
This is the second time an appeal filed by Josh has been rejected. In October, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit rejected the 36-year-old's first attempt to appeal his December 2021 conviction on one count of receipt of child pornography and one count of possession of child pornography, to which he pleaded not guilty.
E! News has reached out to Josh's legal team for comment but has not yet heard back.
The appeal denials mean Josh—who shares seven kids with his wife Anna Duggar—will continue to serve his 12-and-a-half year prison sentence, which is scheduled to end in October 2032. According to court documents previously obtained by E! News, in addition to his time behind bars, the former reality star was also fined $10,000 and will be placed on 20 years of supervised release after he gets out of prison.
Josh is the eldest child of Jim Bob Duggar and Michelle Duggar, the parents at the center of TLC's 19 Kids and Counting. The show was canceled in 2015 after 10 seasons on-air after allegations emerged that Josh had molested multiple girls as a teen—which eventually led to his sisters Jessa Duggar and Jill Duggar coming forward to say they were victims.
Josh previously expressed regret over the situation.
"Twelve years ago, as a young teenager, I acted inexcusably for which I am extremely sorry and deeply regret," he told People in 2015. "I hurt others, including my family and close friends. I confessed this to my parents who took several steps to help me address the situation. We spoke with the authorities where I confessed my wrongdoing, and my parents arranged for me and those affected by my actions to receive counseling."
While the network created a spinoff called Counting On, which followed Josh's younger sisters, the series was cancelled after 11 seasons shortly after Josh was was arrested for child pornography charges in April 2021.
Following Josh's conviction, a number of his family members have weighed in on the case, including his parents Jim Bob and Michelle.
"This entire ordeal has been very grievous," they shared in a statement with E! News in December 2021. "Today, God's grace, through the love and prayers of so many, has sustained us. Our hearts and prayers are with anyone who has ever been harmed through CSAM [Child Sexual Abuse Material]."
"In the days ahead, we will do all we can to surround our daughter-in-law Anna and their children with love and support," they continued. "As parents, we will never stop praying for Joshua, and loving him, as we do all of our children. In each of life's circumstances, we place our trust in God."
And in February 2023, Jinger Duggar provided insight on where she and her sisters stand with their sister-in-law Anna following the trial.
"We're always here for them if they need anything," she told E! News of Anna and her seven children. "And I hope that they would know that."
She continued, "I'm just grateful for the justice system. My heart just breaks for the victims and their families."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (4)
Related
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- 'We're going to wreck their economy:' UAW president Shawn Fain has a plan. Will it work?
- Florida jury pool could give Trump an advantage in classified documents case
- House Republicans put forth short-term deal to fund government
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Sponsor an ocean? Tiny island nation of Niue has a novel plan to protect its slice of the Pacific
- WSJ reporter to appeal Russian detention Tuesday
- Girl killed during family's Idaho camping trip when rotted tree falls on tent
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Family says 14-year-old daughter discovered phone taped to back of toilet seat on flight to Boston
Ranking
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Network of ancient American Indian earthworks in Ohio named to list of UNESCO World Heritage sites
- Why *NSYNC's Bigger Plans for Reunion and New Song Better Place Didn't Happen
- NFL injuries Week 3: Joe Burrow, Saquon Barkley and Anthony Richardson among ailing stars
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Far from home, Ukrainian designers showcase fashion that was created amid air raid sirens
- Control of the Pennsylvania House will again hinge on result of a special election
- Man gets 20 years in prison for killing retired St. Louis police officer during carjacking attempt
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Hailee Steinfeld Spotted at Buffalo Bills NFL Game Amid Romance With Quarterback Josh Allen
How Meghan Markle Ushered In a Bold New Fashion Era at 2023 Invictus Games
Man accused in deaths of nearly two dozen elderly women in Texas killed by his prison cellmate
Could your smelly farts help science?
'We're going to wreck their economy:' UAW president Shawn Fain has a plan. Will it work?
Former Kentucky Gov. Brereton Jones dies, fought to bolster health care and ethics laws in office
Maren Morris says she's leaving country music: 'Burn it to the ground and start over'