Current:Home > NewsJohnathan Walker:New Mexico mother accused of allowing her 5-year-old son to slowly starve to death -Infinite Edge Learning
Johnathan Walker:New Mexico mother accused of allowing her 5-year-old son to slowly starve to death
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-07 02:33:18
A New Mexico mother has been arrested after authorities say she is Johnathan Walkersuspected of allowing her 5-year-old son to slowly die by starvation.
Marecella Vasquez Montelongo, 23, was arrested in late February months after her son, who had Cerebral Palsy and other disabilities, was found in July unconscious and not breathing at her Albuquerque home. The boy was pronounced dead and an autopsy later determined that he died of starvation and dehydration due to neglect, according to a criminal complaint provided to USA TODAY.
In the years prior to the boy's death, state investigators with the Children, Youth, and Families Department had responded to at least four reports of neglect involving the child, according to the complaint.
Montelongo had her first court appearance Wednesday in a Bernalillo County court room on a charge of child abuse resulting in death. A judge ruled that Montelongo must remain in custody until the start of her trial and complete an addiction treatment program, according to KOAT-TV, which was the first to report on the case.
Philadelphia:Body found in duffel bag identified as 4-year-old reported missing in December
Child appeared to be 'skin and bones' at his death
Albuquerque police were dispatched to Montelongo's home on July 16 after receiving a report of the unresponsive child. While paramedics attempted life-saving measures, the boy was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the complaint, dated Feb. 26.
Montelongo told police at the scene that she had fed her son but that he had vomited. Shortly after, she noticed he was not breathing and called 911, the complaint states.
At the time of his death, the boy appeared as "skin and bones," with his hip bones clearly defined and open ulcers on his tailbone, according to the complaint. When medical examiners conducted a preliminary autopsy, they discovered that the boy had dropped to a weight of about 13.6 pounds.
The final autopsy, which was completed in October, concluded that Montelongo's son had died from starvation and dehydration, and ruled that the manner of death was a homicide.
'Red flags' surfaced before boy's July death
The boy was nonverbal, blind, used a wheelchair and required round-the-clock care, according to investigators. Montelongo was required to give her son medication three times a day through a gastrostomy tube, otherwise known as a G-tube.
However, Montelongo routinely missed her son's doctor's appointments, including five since December 2022. While she noticed her son was losing weight, she told investigators that she did not think it was a concern, the complaint states.
Since the boy's birth, the New Mexico Children, Youth and Families Department received four reports of medical neglect, including one report that was substantiated, according to the complaint.
Though the child was enrolled at he New Mexico School for the Blind and Visually Impaired, records provided to investigators showed that he only reported for on day of school in September 2022 and never showed up again.
"This defendant made efforts to hide the abuse and this child's demise from medical advisors and the school," Bernalillo County Judge David Murphy said at Montelongo's hearing, according to video aired by KOAT-TV.
Some advocates went so far as to question how Montelongo was able to retain custody of her son following the series of red flags.
"We had medical providers, educational providers, service providers and family members raising flags," Maralyn Beck, founder and executive director of the nonprofit New Mexico Child Network told KOAT-TV. "Yet here we are."
Eric Lagatta covers breaking and trending news for USA TODAY. Reach him at [email protected]
veryGood! (14)
Related
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Last samba in Paris: Gabriela Hearst exits Chloé dancing, not crying, with runway swan song
- In Detroit suburbs, Trump criticizes Biden, Democrats, automakers over electric vehicles
- Mel Tucker crossed an obvious line. How did he think this would end?
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Miguel Cabrera’s career coming to close with Tigers, leaving lasting legacy in MLB and Venezuela
- Chinese ambassador says Australian lawmakers who visit Taiwan are being utilized by separatists
- Powerball jackpot soars to $925 million ahead of next drawing
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- FTC Chair Lina Khan's lawsuit isn't about breaking up Amazon, for now
Ranking
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Court rejects Donald Trump’s bid to delay trial in wake of fraud ruling that threatens his business
- Travis King, the U.S. soldier who crossed South Korea's border into North Korea, is back in U.S.
- Remains found in 1996 identified after New Hampshire officials use modern DNA testing tech
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- 5 UAW members hit by vehicle in Michigan while striking
- Ex-Lizzo staffer speaks out after filing lawsuit against singer
- Murder suspect mistakenly released captured after 2-week manhunt
Recommendation
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
Ending reign as speaker, North Carolina Rep. Tim Moore won’t run for House seat in ’24, either
'Good Samaritan' hospitalized after intervening on attack against 64-year-old woman: Police
Authors discuss AR-15’s history from LA garage to cultural lightning rod
Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
'The truth has finally set him free.': Man released after serving 28 years for crime he didn't commit
Shelters for migrants are filling up across Germany as attitudes toward the newcomers harden
Watch Ronald Acuna Jr.'s epic celebration as he becomes first member of MLB's 40-70 club