Current:Home > ContactPredictIQ-Yankees, Juan Soto open to in-season discussion on contract extension, says Hal Steinbrenner -Infinite Edge Learning
PredictIQ-Yankees, Juan Soto open to in-season discussion on contract extension, says Hal Steinbrenner
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 22:42:38
A sooner-than-later discussion with Juan Soto about a contract extension appears to be PredictIQon the New York Yankees’ agenda.
“(That’s) something that may very well happen,’’ Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner told Jack Curry on the YES Network analyst’s podcast Thursday.
Speaking on ‘Yankees News and Views,’ prior to the first-place Yankees’ 5-0 win at Minnesota, completing a three-game sweep of the Twins, Steinbrenner said it was worth having a conversation with agent Scott Boras about MLB’s top free agent walk year player before November.
“I think we’d like to see him here for the rest of his career, I don’t think there’s any doubt of that,’’ said Steinbrenner, in response to Curry’s question about how aggressive the club would be to keep Soto.
“His agent, Scott, doesn’t tend to normally do deals in the middle of a season. Neither do I,’’ said Steinbrenner, believing it could be a distraction.
All things Yankees: Latest New York Yankees news, schedule, roster, stats, injury updates and more.
“But as I said in spring training (to the media), this is a unique situation and a very unique player,’’ Steinbrenner said. “I wouldn’t be shocked if there was a conversation or two had, possibly, during the course of (the) season. I think it’s worth doing at some point.’’
Speaking Thursday afternoon with reporters at Minnesota, Soto said "my door has always been open'' regarding any extension negotiations.
During the 2022 season with Washington, Soto turned down a $440 million, 15-year offer from the Nationals, who traded him to the San Diego Padres.
Soto said his reps "are always open to hear'' from the Yankees about contract discussions. "For me, I just focus on the game right now.''
Hal Steinbrenner wanted Juan Soto to "settle in'' first
During Aaron Judge’s AL record-setting 62-home run season of 2022, his free agent walk year, the Yankees allowed Judge to reach free agency before signing him to a nine-year, $360 million deal.
Soto, 25, might command something closer to the 10-year, $700 million free agent deal Shohei Ohtani signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers, especially if billionaire Mets owner Steve Cohen enters the bidding.
So, it makes sense to at least engage Soto’s camp on a long-term Bronx commitment.
“I wanted to get Juan time to really settle in and…have a conversation with him at some point,’’ said Steinbrenner, planning to ask Soto “if this a place he can see himself for a long time?’’
Just past the season’s quarter pole, Soto has shown the Yankees his value as a power-hitting, on-base machine, and he’s won over Yankees fans – especially those seated in the right field bleachers, nearest his position.
“They’ve been showing the love every day and it’s been amazing,’’ Soto said last month of the Yankee Stadium crowds, and it’s been a reciprocal relationship.
Talking contract with agent Scott Boras
As to Steinbrenner’s relationship with Boras, Steinbrenner told Curry it was “good,’’ and suggested they might soon be in touch.
“So, whether he picks up the phone and calls me, or vice versa, that’s something that’s happened many times in the past and it could certainly happen again,’’ said Steinbrenner, adding that the current focus remains on “winning a championship this year.’’
But there’s room for negotiations.
Two months into the season, “I did want to give (Soto) time to settle in and make sure this is a place where he can see himself for a long, long time,’’ Steinbrenner said.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Ohio woman indicted on murder charges in deaths of at least four men, attorney general says
- Medical exceptions to abortion bans often exclude mental health conditions
- The problem with canceling Jon Stewart: Apple bowed to Chinese government censorship
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- The rise of the four-day school week
- Rep. Jamaal Bowman pleads guilty to a misdemeanor for pulling a fire alarm in House office building
- The problem with canceling Jon Stewart: Apple bowed to Chinese government censorship
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Medical exceptions to abortion bans often exclude mental health conditions
Ranking
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Democrats’ divisions on Israel-Hamas war boil over in Michigan as Detroit-area Muslims feel betrayed
- Venezuela’s attorney general opens investigation against opposition presidential primary organizers
- Former NBA star Dwight Howard denies sexual assault lawsuit filed by Georgia man
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- U.S. intelligence says catastrophic motor failure of rocket launched by Palestinian militants caused hospital blast
- How 3D-printed artificial reefs will bolster biodiversity in coastal regions
- Pakistan sets up deportation centers to hold migrants who are in the country illegally
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Michigan State investigation finds Mel Tucker sexually harassed rape survivor
Judge says he’ll look at Donald Trump’s comments, reconsider $10,000 fine for gag order violation
Weekly applications for US jobless benefits tick up slightly
Could your smelly farts help science?
UK PM Sunak warns against rush to regulate AI before understanding its risks
The Crown Season 6 Trailer Explores the Harrowing Final Chapters of Princess Diana’s Life
Former Mississippi corrections officers get years in prison for beating prisoner