Current:Home > ScamsFederal judge rules protesters can’t march through Republican National Convention security zone -Infinite Edge Learning
Federal judge rules protesters can’t march through Republican National Convention security zone
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:34:45
MADISON, Wis . (AP) — A federal judge ruled Monday that protesters can’t march through a security zone at the Republican National Convention, handing a defeat to liberals who had pushed to have closer access to where delegates will be gathering next week in Milwaukee.
The American Civil Liberties Union and the Coalition to March on the RNC 2024 filed a lawsuit last month against the city of Milwaukee, alleging that the city’s plans for protesters violated their free speech rights. They had asked the judge to order that the city design a protest parade route that is within sight and hearing of the Fiserv Forum where thousands of Republicans will be gathering starting Monday to nominate Donald Trump for president.
U.S. District Judge Brett Ludwig said in his order that protesters have a right to march in protest of the RNC, “but the First Amendment does not allow them to protest or parade in any way they choose.”
Ludwig said that Milwaukee city officials and the U.S. Secret Service have worked to balance protesters’ right to express themselves and “legitimate security and other governmental interests.”
“The vast majority of the resulting security plan is a reasonable and valid time, place, and manner regulation on speech,” the judge said in denying the protesters’ request for closer access to the convention site.
What to know about the 2024 Election
- Democracy: American democracy has overcome big stress tests since 2020. More challenges lie ahead in 2024.
- AP’s Role: The Associated Press is the most trusted source of information on election night, with a history of accuracy dating to 1848. Learn more.
- Read the latest: Follow AP’s complete coverage of this year’s election.
The judge sided with the ACLU on one issue, ruling that the city and the Commissioner of Public Works Jerrel Kruschke could not approve speaker and demonstration applications on the basis of an applicant’s criminal history.
Ludwig said the city “overstepped their authority in reserving their ability to deny protest permits based on” a past criminal conviction.
Both sides have until Wednesday if they wish to pursue other legal options.
Omar Flores, chairman of the March on the RNC Coalition, declined to comment on the ruling before the group holds a news conference Tuesday afternoon.
Protesters have complained that the city is keeping them too far away from the convention site, which is inside a security perimeter where credentials are required to gain access. Protesters have wanted to march inside that security zone. However, the security plan establishes a parade route about five blocks from the arena, with a stage for speakers within the route.
veryGood! (34)
Related
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Union wins made big news this year. Here are 5 reasons why it's not the full story
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions Plunge in Response to Coronavirus Pandemic
- EPA Targets Potent Greenhouse Gases, Bringing US Into Compliance With the Kigali Amendment
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- The federal spending bill will make it easier to save for retirement. Here's how
- How a scrappy African startup could forever change the world of vaccines
- Climate Activists See ‘New Era’ After Three Major Oil and Gas Pipeline Defeats
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Inside a Southern Coal Conference: Pep Rallies and Fears of an Industry’s Demise
Ranking
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Our Shopping Editor Swore by This Heated Eyelash Curler— Now, We Can't Stop Using It
- From Twitter chaos to TikTok bans to the metaverse, social media had a rocky 2022
- U.S. destroys last of its declared chemical weapons
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Two Louisiana Activists Charged with Terrorizing a Lobbyist for the Oil and Gas Industry
- A Chick-fil-A location is fined for giving workers meals instead of money
- Wells Fargo to pay $3.7 billion settling charges it wrongfully seized homes and cars
Recommendation
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
The overlooked power of Latino consumers
For the Sunrise Movement’s D.C. Hub, a Call to Support the Movement for Black Lives
Make Waves With These 17 The Little Mermaid Gifts
The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
Elon Musk says he will resign as Twitter CEO once he finds a replacement
U.S. destroys last of its declared chemical weapons
Get a $64 Lululemon Tank for $19, $64 Shorts for $29, $119 Pants for $59 and More Mind-Blowing Finds