Current:Home > MarketsIndexbit-McDonald’s franchisee agrees to pay $4.4M after manager sexually assaulted teen -Infinite Edge Learning
Indexbit-McDonald’s franchisee agrees to pay $4.4M after manager sexually assaulted teen
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 04:41:11
A franchisee of fast food giant McDonald’s has agreed to pay a teenage girl $4.4 million to settle her lawsuit over having been sexually assaulted by a Pittsburgh-area restaurant manager who was a registered sex offender,Indexbit the victim’s lawyers announced on Monday.
The deal between the girl, who was 14 at the time of the 2021 sexual assault, and McDonald’s franchisee Rice Enterprises LLC, compensates her for the attack by Walter A. Garner in the restaurant bathroom.
At the time, Garner, now 44, had served prison time and was listed on the Megan’s Law website for sexually assaulting a 10-year-old girl.
Garner pleaded guilty in 2021 to statutory sexual assault, indecent assault and other charges for the McDonald’s assault and is serving a state prison sentence. A message seeking comment was left Monday for the public defenders who represented him in that case and in the 2003 case that was resolved with a guilty plea to aggravated indecent assault and other charges.
The lawsuit helped prompt an October 2021 strike by workers in 12 U.S. cities, an effort to get the company to better address what they described as an ongoing problem of sexual harassment and violence in McDonald’s stores.
Through a McDonald’s spokesperson, Rice Enterprises said it fired Garner as soon as they learned of the allegations against him in 2021.
“Since then, we’ve redoubled our efforts to ensure a positive and respectful experience for all employees in our restaurants, and our organization maintains a zero-tolerance policy for harassment of any kind,” Rice Enterprises said in the emailed statement. The company said it puts new hires through “safe and respectful workplace training” and has enhanced security.
The employee was 14 when she began working at a McDonald’s in Bethel Park in October 2020. She said she had no training on sexual harassment or how to report it. Garner made sexual comments to her and touched her inappropriately before the bathroom sexual assault in mid-February 2021, according to the lawsuit.
Garner was arrested in April 2021 after another McDonald’s employee told administrators at her school about his behavior and police were called, the lawsuit said.
Lawyer Alan Perer, who represents the girl and her parents in the Allegheny County civil litigation, said he questions how a sex offender was hired to manage girls of high school age.
“For a company to allow a known sex offender to have access to and control over young teens turns America’s best first job into a nightmare for those teens,” Perer said in a release.
McDonald’s USA called the girl’s assault deeply troubling, issuing a statement that said violence and sexual harassment are completely unacceptable. The company said it is committed to providing franchisees with training resources to help prevent harassment.
veryGood! (82)
Related
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Jelly Roll urged Congress to crack down on fentanyl. That's harder than it sounds.
- A Japanese domestic flight returns to airport with crack on a cockpit window. No injuries reported.
- Man wrongfully convicted of sexual assault gets $1.75 million after 35 years in prison
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Demonstrations against the far right held in Germany following a report on a deportation meeting
- Starting Five: The top women's college basketball games this weekend feature Iowa vs. Indiana
- A Japanese domestic flight returns to airport with crack on a cockpit window. No injuries reported.
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- SAG Awards nominations for 2024 announced: See the full list of nominees
Ranking
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Chiefs’ Patrick Mahomes has helmet shattered during playoff game vs. Miami
- Iran seizes oil tanker in Gulf of Oman that was recently at center of standoff with U.S.
- Elementary school teacher fired over side gig as online sex coach in Austria
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- As shutdown looms, congressional leaders ready stopgap bill to extend government funding to March
- Dolphins vs. Chiefs weather: Saturday's AFC playoff may be one of coldest postseason games
- Inside Sarah Paulson and Holland Taylor's Private Romance
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Current best practices for resume writing
2 Iranian journalists jailed for their reporting on Mahsa Amini’s death are released on bail
Mop-mop-swoosh-plop it's rug-washing day in 'Bábo'
A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
Indian Ocean island of Reunion braces for ‘very dangerous’ storm packing hurricane-strength winds
How Rozzie Bound Co-Op in Massachusetts builds community one book at a time
Houthis vow to keep attacking ships in Red Sea after U.S., U.K. strikes target their weapons in Yemen