Current:Home > StocksRekubit-New York City to end its relationship with embattled migrant services contractor -Infinite Edge Learning
Rekubit-New York City to end its relationship with embattled migrant services contractor
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-07 02:11:59
ALBANY,Rekubit N.Y. (AP) — New York City will end its relationship with a medical services company tasked with housing and caring for a recent influx of international migrants, following scrutiny over the company’s lucrative deal with the city and the quality of its humanitarian services.
Mayor Eric Adams’ office on Tuesday said the city would not renew its contract with DocGo before it expires on May 5 and will instead search for a new housing provider for migrants.
DocGo, which previously worked with the city to provide COVID-19 testing, was awarded a $432 million no-bid emergency contract last year to help the city manage a massive new population of migrants.
The arrangement drew questions from city Comptroller Brad Lander, who in reviewing the contract determined there wasn’t enough detail to justify the cost and that it wasn’t clear how the company had the expertise to transport, house and feed thousands of migrants.
News reports from the New York Times and Albany Times Union also detailed alleged mistreatment of migrants under the company’s care, including issues with health care and food waste, among other things. Its chief executive officer resigned after he admitted to lying about his educational record.
DocGo currently provides care for 3,600 migrants, half in the city and half in upstate New York, officials said.
The company will continue to provide services for migrants who were relocated upstate until a new vendor is picked. The city will use an existing contract with the company Garner Environmental Services to care for migrants in the metropolitan area, until another vendor is selected.
“This will ultimately allow the city to save more money and will allow others, including non-profits and internationally-recognized resettlement providers, to apply to do this critical work, and ensures we are using city funds efficiently and effectively,” Camille Joseph Varlack, chief of staff for the mayor, said in a statement.
In a statement, a DocGo spokesperson said the company is “immensely proud of the exceptional work that our team has accomplished and continues to perform in aiding the City’s response to this unprecedented crisis.”
New York has struggled to handle an influx of international migrants who have arrived in the city since 2022, with more than 187,000 people coming through its intake system seeking shelter.
Politico first reported the news of the city declining to renew its contract with DocGo.
veryGood! (57286)
Related
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Stores are locking up products to curb shoplifters. How that's affecting paying customers.
- A baby was found in the rubble of a US raid in Afghanistan. But who exactly was killed and why?
- Ford teases F-150 reveal, plans to capture buyers not yet sold on electric vehicles
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Jailed Russian opposition leader Alexey Navalny braces for verdict in latest trial
- Man survives being stabbed through the head with a flagpole, police say
- The life and death spirals of social networks
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Actor Mark Margolis, murderous drug kingpin on ‘Breaking Bad’ and ‘Better Call Saul,’ dies at 83
Ranking
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- The Summer I Turned Pretty Season 3 Is Coming: All the Dreamy Details
- Star soprano Anna Netrebko sues Met Opera over its decision to cut ties over Russia-Ukraine war
- Judge rejects attempt to temporarily block Connecticut’s landmark gun law passed after Sandy Hook
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Appeals court allows Biden administration to keep asylum limits along southern border
- Investigation timeline of Gilgo Beach murders
- This week on Sunday Morning (August 6)
Recommendation
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Taylor Swift Gifts Vanessa and Kobe Bryant's Daughter Bianka Her 22 Hat at Eras Tour
Usher talks new single 'Good Good,' Vegas residency: 'My 7 o'clock on the dot has changed'
US expands curfews for asylum-seeking families to 13 cities as an alternative to detention
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
James Phillip Barnes is executed for 1988 hammer killing of Florida nurse Patricia Miller
Selling Sunset’s Amanza Smith Goes Instagram Official With New Boyfriend
Céline Dion's Sister Shares Update on Singer's Health Amid Battle With Stiff Person Syndrome