Current:Home > ContactStrikes on Gaza’s southern edge sow fear in one of the last areas to which people can flee -Infinite Edge Learning
Strikes on Gaza’s southern edge sow fear in one of the last areas to which people can flee
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 02:42:30
RAFAH, Gaza Strip (AP) — Israeli forces struck the southern Gaza town of Rafah twice overnight, residents said Thursday, sowing fear in one of the last places where civilians could seek refuge after Israel widened its offensive against Hamas to areas already packed with displaced people.
United Nations officials say there are no safe places in Gaza. Heavy fighting in and around the southern city of Khan Younis has displaced tens of thousands of people in a territory where over 80% of the population has already fled their homes, and cut most of Gaza off from deliveries of food, water and other vital aid.
Two months into the war, the grinding offensive has set off renewed alarms internationally, with U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres using a rarely exercised power to warn the Security Council of an impending “humanitarian catastrophe” and urging members to demand a cease-fire.
The United States has called on Israel to limit civilian deaths and displacement, saying too many Palestinians were killed when it obliterated much of Gaza City and the north.
But President Joe Biden’s administration, which has pledged unwavering support for Israel, appeared likely to block any such U.N. effort to halt the fighting.
Israel says it must crush Hamas’ military capabilities and remove it from power following the Oct. 7 attack that ignited the war. Troops have pushed into Khan Younis, Gaza’s second-largest city, which Israeli officials have portrayed as Hamas’ center of gravity — something they previously said was in Gaza City and its Shifa Hospital.
Israel has ordered the evacuation of some two dozen southern neighborhoods, rather than the entire region as it did in the north, which the military says shows increased concern for civilians.
But the areas where Palestinians can seek safety are rapidly receding. With northern and central Gaza largely isolated and cut off from aid, Palestinians are heading south to Rafah and other areas along the border with Egypt, where family homes are packed tight and makeshift shelters are overflowing.
Palestinians flee the Israeli ground offensive in Khan Younis, Gaza Strip, Wednesday, Dec. 6, 2023. (AP Photo/Mohammed Dahman)
Even there, safety has proven elusive, as Israel continues to strike what it says are Hamas targets across the coastal enclave.
A strike late Wednesday leveled a home in Rafah, sending a wave of wounded streaming into a nearby hospital. Eyad al-Hobi, who witnessed the attack, said around 20 people were killed, including women and children. Another house was hit early Thursday, residents said.
Palestinians displaced by the Israeli bombardment of the Gaza Strip set up a tent camp in Rafah on Wednesday, Dec. 6, 2023. (AP Photo/Hatem Ali)
“We live in fear every moment, for our children, ourselves, our families,” said Dalia Abu Samhadaneh, now living in Rafah with her family after fleeing Khan Younis. “We live with the anxiety of expulsion.”
The military meanwhile accused militants of firing rockets from open areas near Rafah in the humanitarian zone. It released footage of a strike Wednesday on what it said were launchers positioned outside the town and a few hundred meters (yards) from a U.N. warehouse.
BATTLES IN NORTH AND SOUTH
The U.N. says some 1.87 million people — over 80% of the population of 2.3 million — have already fled their homes, many of them displaced multiple times.
Israel’s campaign has killed more than 16,200 people in Gaza — most of them women and children — and wounded more than 42,000, according to the territory’s Health Ministry, which says many others are trapped under rubble. The ministry does not differentiate between civilian and combatant deaths.
Hamas and other militants killed about 1,200 people, mostly civilians, in the Oct. 7 attack, and took some 240 people hostage. An estimated 138 hostages remain in Gaza, mostly soldiers and civilian men, after 105 were freed during a cease-fire in late November.
The military said Thursday that it struck dozens of militant targets in Khan Younis, including a tunnel shaft from which fighters had launched an attack. It said two of the attackers were killed.
Palestinians displaced by the Israeli bombardment of the Gaza Strip set up a tent camp in Rafah on Wednesday, Dec. 6, 2023. (AP Photo/Hatem Ali)
A built-up refugee camp inside Khan Younis was the childhood home of Hamas’ top leader in Gaza, Yehya Sinwar, and the group’s military chief, Mohammed Deif, as well as other Hamas leaders — though their current whereabouts are unknown.
Heavy fighting is also still underway in the Jabaliya refugee camp in northern Gaza, even after two months of heavy bombardment and encirclement by ground troops. The military said troops raided a militant compound, killing “a number” of fighters and uncovering a network of tunnels.
It was not immediately possible to confirm the latest reports from the battlefield.
Mourners comfort Mazal Daniels, center, the mother of Israeli reservist Master Sgt. Gil Daniels during his funeral in Ashdod, Wednesday, Dec. 6, 2023. Daniels was killed in Gaza during an Israeli military ground offensive against the enclave’s militant Hamas rulers. (AP Photo/Leo Correa)
Israel accuses Hamas, which has ruled Gaza for 16 years, of using civilians as human shields when the militants operate in residential areas and blames the alleged practice for the high civilian death toll. But Israel has not given detailed accounts of its individual strikes, some of which have leveled entire city blocks.
The military says 88 of its soldiers have been killed in the Gaza ground offensive. It also says some 5,000 militants have been killed, without saying how it arrived at its count.
HUMANITARIAN CRISIS WORSENS
Tens of thousands of people have fled from Khan Younis and other areas to Rafah, on Gaza’s southern border with Egypt, the U.N. said. Rafah, normally home to around 280,000 people, is already hosting more than 470,000 who fled from other parts of Gaza.
On the other side of the border, Egypt has deployed thousands of troops and erected earthen barriers to prevent any mass influx of refugees. It says an influx would undermine its decades-old peace treaty with Israel, and it doubts Israel will let them back into Gaza.
For the past three days, aid groups have only been able to distribute supplies in and around Rafah, and mainly just flour and water, the U.N.’s humanitarian aid office said. Access farther north has been cut off by fighting and Israeli forces closing roads.
The World Food Program said a “catastrophic hunger crisis” threatens to “overwhelm the civilian population.”
Palestinians attend a funeral of their relatives killed in the Israeli bombardment of the Gaza Strip in Khan Younis, Wednesday, Dec. 6, 2023. (AP Photo/Mohammed Dahman)
Gaza has been without electricity since the first week of the war, and hospitals and water treatment plants have been forced to shut down for lack of fuel to operate generators. Israel allows a trickle of aid from Egypt but has greatly restricted imports of fuel, saying Hamas diverts it for military purposes.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Wednesday that Israel would allow small deliveries of fuel into the southern Gaza Strip “from time to time” to prevent the spread of disease. The “minimal amount” of fuel will be set by the war cabinet, he said.
___
Chehayeb reported from Beirut.
___
Full AP coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/israel-hamas-war.
veryGood! (17712)
Related
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Are Sydney Sweeney and Glen Powell Returning for an Anyone But You Sequel? She Says…
- A judge has blocked enforcement of an Ohio law limiting kids’ use of social media amid litigation
- Hallmark's When Calls the Heart galvanized an online community of millions, called Hearties
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Everything you need to know about Selection Sunday as March Madness appears on the horizon
- 1 dead, 5 injured in shooting at Bronx subway station
- Video shows deputies fired dozens of shots at armed 81-year-old man in South Carolina
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- The Daily Money: Older workers are everywhere. So is age discrimination
Ranking
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- New medical school for University of Georgia approved by state Board of Regents
- Caitlin Clark goes for NCAA women's scoring record Thursday vs. Michigan
- Police release new sketches of suspected killer of Maryland mom of 5 Rachel Morin
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- North Carolina Gov. Cooper sets 2040 goals for wetlands, forests and new trees
- May December star Charles Melton on family and fame
- Video shows deputies fired dozens of shots at armed 81-year-old man in South Carolina
Recommendation
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
Officials are looking into why an American Airlines jetliner ran off the end of a Texas runway
Horoscopes Today, February 13, 2024
NFL mock draft 2024: Chiefs get Patrick Mahomes a major weapon at wide receiver
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
'Honey I'm home': Blake Lively responds after Ryan Reynolds jokes, 'Has anyone seen my wife?'
That makes two! Suni Lee will join fellow Olympic champion Gabby Douglas at Winter Cup
'You don't mess with Bob': How Kingsley Ben-Adir channeled Bob Marley for 'One Love' movie