Current:Home > NewsTulsa massacre survivor, residents push for justice, over a century after killings -Infinite Edge Learning
Tulsa massacre survivor, residents push for justice, over a century after killings
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 02:42:33
More than 100 years after many of Tulsa's Black residents were killed and their businesses were destroyed by white rioters, the community, including a woman who survived the massacre, is still finding ways to rebuild and seek justice.
Between May 31 and June 1, 1921, white Tulsa residents set fire and bombed several square blocks of the city, including Greenwood District, which was known as Black Wall Street because of its successful shops and businesses owned by Tulsa's Black residents.
An estimated 300 Black residents were killed and thousands were left homeless after the Tulsa massacre, according to historians.
Alicia Odewale, a professor of archeology at the University of Tulsa, is leading a project to dig up Greenwood's past and told GMA 3's DeMarco Morgan, a Tulsa native, that she's already made some shocking discoveries.
MORE: Video 24 unmarked graves uncovered in probe of 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre
"We found bullets and barbed wire next to doll parts next to lined up toys, next to marbles," she said. "They tried to wipe out families and children."
"The artifacts are bearing witness to things that we don't have in our history books," she added.
Tiffany Crutcher, an activist, said she's been working to raise awareness of what happened and fight for justice. She has traveled to Congress with survivors and their families on multiple occasions to ensure that their stories are never forgotten.
"They sat there saying, 'We believe we deserve justice. We still believe in America,' even though they've been through the worst times," Crutcher said.
In July, an Oklahoma judge dismissed a lawsuit filed by survivors and their families that sought reparations for the massacre. The decision has been appealed by the plaintiff's attorneys.
MORE: Tulsa Race Massacre survivors and attorneys respond to dismissal of lawsuit
After last week's passing of Hughes Van Ellis at 102, Lessie Benningfield "Mother" Randle, and Viola Fletcher, 109, are now the last of two living survivors.
Lawanna Penny, Randle's granddaughter, said she promised her grandmother that even though the reparations suit has been dismissed, she and others wouldn't stop fighting for justice.
"I told her, 'We're not going anywhere,' she said. "We want to leave a legacy for her to build up North Tulsa, build it up back the way it used to be."
Randle turns 109 next month and she told GMA 3 that she has one wish.
"I would like to see all of my people here…trying to make the situation better," she said. "Bring some of those things to life so people will know that it's really is true, because there's room for a lot more improvement."
veryGood! (3458)
Related
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Groundhog Day 2023
- FDA approves first over-the-counter birth control pill, Opill
- Whitney Cummings Is Pregnant, Expecting First Baby
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Can Rights of Nature Laws Make a Difference? In Ecuador, They Already Are
- Inside Clean Energy: With Planned Closing of North Dakota Coal Plant, Energy Transition Comes Home to Rural America
- As the Livestock Industry Touts Manure-to-Energy Projects, Environmentalists Cry ‘Greenwashing’
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Powerball jackpot climbs to $875 million after no winners in Wednesday's drawing
Ranking
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Beyoncé's Renaissance tour is Ticketmaster's next big test. Fans are already stressed
- Coal Communities Across the Nation Want Biden to Fund an Economic Transition to Clean Power
- Disney CEO Bob Iger extends contract for an additional 2 years, through 2026
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Hollywood goes on strike as actors join writers on picket lines, citing existential threat to profession
- A Plunge in Mass Transit Ridership Deals a Huge Blow to Climate Change Mitigation
- Disney's Bob Iger is swinging the ax as he plans to lay off 7,000 workers worldwide
Recommendation
DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
Hundreds of ready-to-eat foods are recalled over possible listeria contamination
Is it hot in here, or is it just the new jobs numbers?
Baby's first market failure
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
Inside Clean Energy: Ohio’s Bribery Scandal is Bad. The State’s Lack of an Energy Plan May Be Worse
Zoom is the latest tech firm to announce layoffs, and its CEO will take a 98% pay cut
SAG-AFTRA officials recommend strike after contracts expire without new deal