Current:Home > ScamsNo Labels abandons plans for "unity" ticket in 2024 presidential race -Infinite Edge Learning
No Labels abandons plans for "unity" ticket in 2024 presidential race
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-07 06:41:55
Washington — No Labels, the centrist political group, is abandoning its effort to draft a third-party "unity" ticket to run in the 2024 presidential race, the organization announced Thursday.
The group, which has worked for months to gain ballot access in states across the country for potential candidates, said it only planned to pursue a ticket "if we could identify candidates with a credible path to winning the White House."
"No such candidates emerged, so the responsible course of action is for us to stand down," No Labels said in a statement.
"Like many Americans, we are concerned that the division and strife gripping the country will reach a critical point after this election regardless of who wins," the statement continued. "Post-election, No Labels will be prepared to champion and defend the values and interests of America's commonsense majority."
Potential candidates previously floated for a No Labels ticket included Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin, who is retiring from the Senate, and Larry Hogan, former Republican governor of Maryland. Hogan ultimately decided to run for the U.S. Senate in Maryland.
Mike Rawlings, No Labels' convention chair, told CBS News three weeks ago that the group was moving ahead with its ballot efforts but didn't offer a deadline for announcing a candidate.
"I don't think you should expect it next week," Rawlings said. "It may be in April. It may be — look, we've got to get this done before the spring."
No Labels attracted scorn from Democrats, who feared that a third-party bid could siphon away votes from President Biden and benefit former President Donald Trump. Before nixing its efforts, No Labels said it qualified on the ballot in 21 states, far more than independent candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Only one state so far has confirmed Kennedy has qualified for the ballot.
Progressives welcomed news of No Labels' plans to stand down.
"If the reports are true, millions of Americans are relieved that No Labels finally decided to do the right thing to keep Donald Trump out of the White House," said Rahna Epting, executive director of the progressive group MoveOn. "Now, it's time for Robert Kennedy Jr. to see the writing on the wall that no third-party has a path forward to winning the presidency. We must come together to defeat the biggest threat to our democracy and country: Donald Trump."
Alisa Wiersema contributed to this report.
Kathryn WatsonKathryn Watson is a politics reporter for CBS News Digital based in Washington, D.C.
veryGood! (8243)
Related
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Running out of marijuana, Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket get approval to ship it to the islands
- For the first time, West Texas has a permanent LGBTQ+ community center
- David Wroblewski's newest book Familiaris earns him his 2nd entry into Oprah's Book Club
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Bijou Phillips Confirms Romance with Jamie Mazur After Danny Masterson Breakup
- Citing toxins in garlic, group says EPA should have warned about chemicals near Ohio derailment
- Duke Energy power equipment in Durham found damaged from gunfire after power outage, police say
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- With deal done, Disney will withdraw lawsuit, ending conflict with DeSantis and his appointees
Ranking
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Last ship of famed Antarctic explorer Ernest Shackleton found off the coast of Canada
- Top 12 Waist Chains for Summer 2024: Embrace the Hot Jewelry Trend Heating Up Cool-Girl Wardrobes
- Ex-US Customs officer convicted of letting drug-filled cars enter from Mexico
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- DNA reveals ritual of sacrificing boys, including twins, in ancient Mayan city, scientists say
- Man dies in apparent hot tub electrocution at Mexico beach resort in Puerto Peñasco
- Gov. Hochul considering a face mask ban on New York City subways, citing antisemitic acts
Recommendation
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
Rihanna Shares Struggles With Postpartum Hair Loss
Powerball winning numbers for June 12: Jackpot rises to $34 million after winner
Spoilers! Does this big 'Bridgerton' twist signal queer romance to come?
US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
Jennifer Garner Makes Rare Comment About Her and Ben Affleck's Kids in Message to Teachers
Utah Hockey Club will be the name of the NHL team in Salt Lake City for its inaugural season
Patrick Mahomes and Brittany Mahomes Reveal Whether Their Kids Are Taylor Swift Fans