Current:Home > ContactDirecTV files complaint against Disney with FCC as impasse enters 2nd week -Infinite Edge Learning
DirecTV files complaint against Disney with FCC as impasse enters 2nd week
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 02:42:25
The impasse between DirecTV and Disney over a new carriage agreement has become more heated as it entered its second week.
DirecTV filed a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission on Saturday night accusing Disney of negotiating in bad faith.
Disney channels, including ESPN and ABC-owned stations in nine markets, have been off DirecTV since the evening of Sept. 1. That meant DirecTV customers were blacked out from viewing most college football games and the final week of the U.S. Open tennis tournament, including the women’s and men’s finals.
DirecTV has 11.3 million subscribers, according to Leichtman Research Group, making it the nation’s third-largest pay TV provider.
ABC and ESPN will have the “Monday Night Football” opener between the New York Jets and San Francisco 49ers. ABC will also produce and carry a presidential debate between Kamala Harris and Donald Trump on Tuesday in Philadelphia.
ABC-owned stations in Los Angeles; the San Francisco Bay Area; Fresno, California; New York; Chicago; Philadelphia; Houston; and Raleigh, North Carolina, are off DirecTV.
Besides all ESPN network channels and ABC-owned stations, Disney-branded channels Freeform, FX and National Geographic channel are dark.
DirecTV says in its 10-page complaint that Disney is violating the FCC’s good faith mandates by asking it to waive any legal claims on any anticompetitive actions, including its ongoing packaging and minimum penetration demands.
DirecTV has asked Disney for the option to provide consumers with cheaper and skinnier bundles of programming, instead of bigger bundles that carry programming some viewers might not be interested in watching.
The complaint states: “Along with these anticompetitive demands, Disney has also insisted that DirecTV agree to a ‘clean slate’ provision and a covenant not to sue, both of which are intended to prevent DirecTV from taking legal action regarding Disney’s anticompetitive demands, which would include filing good faith complaints at the Commission. Not three months ago, however, the Media Bureau made clear that such a demand itself constitutes bad faith.”
DirecTV CEO Ray Carpenter said during a conference call with business and media analysts on Tuesday that they would not agree to a new carriage deal with Disney without bundling changes.
“We’re not playing a short-term game,” Carpenter said. “We need something that is going to work for the long-term sustainability of our video customers. The resolve is there.”
Disney has claimed since the blackout began that mutual release of claims is standard practice after licensing agreements are negotiated and agreed upon by the parties. It has also had one with DirecTV under its past renewals.
A Disney spokesperson said: “We continue to negotiate with DirecTV to restore access to our content as quickly as possible. We urge DirecTV to stop creating diversions and instead prioritize their customers by finalizing a deal that would allow their subscribers to watch our strong upcoming lineup of sports, news and entertainment programming, starting with the return of Monday Night Football.”
Last year, Disney and Charter Spectrum — the nation’s second-largest cable TV provider — were involved in a nearly 12-day impasse until coming to an agreement hours before the first Monday night NFL game of the season.
___
AP sports: https://apnews.com/sports
veryGood! (24)
Related
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- How to watch the Golden Globes, including the red carpet and backstage interviews
- Blinken opens latest urgent Mideast tour in Turkey as fears grow that Gaza war may engulf region
- Wrexham’s Hollywood owners revel in the team’s latest big win in FA Cup
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- NBA reinstates Golden State Warriors star Draymond Green from indefinite suspension
- Islamic State group claims responsibility for a minibus explosion in Afghan capital that killed 2
- Glynis Johns, known for her role as Mrs. Banks in Mary Poppins, dead at 100
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Jordanian army says it killed 5 drug smugglers in clashes on the Syrian border
Ranking
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Sam Kerr suffers torn ACL, jeopardizing Olympic hopes with Australia
- What 5 charts say about the 2023 jobs market and what that might spell for the US in 2024
- Snow hinders rescues and aid deliveries to isolated communities after Japan quakes kill 126 people
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Survivors struggle to rebuild their lives three months after Afghanistan’s devastating earthquake
- Fact checking Netflix's 'Society of the Snow' plane disaster with director J.A. Bayona
- Resurrected Golden Globes will restart the party with ‘Barbie,’ ‘Oppenheimer’ and Swift
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
'Wait Wait' for January 6, 2024: New Year, New Interviews!
3 years to the day after the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, 3 fugitives are arrested in Florida
Erdogan names candidates for March election. Former minister to challenge opposition Istanbul mayor
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei vows harsh response to deadly bomb attack
NFL Week 18 playoff clinching scenarios: Four division titles still to be won
A minibus explodes in Kabul, killing at least 2 civilians and wounding 14 others