Current:Home > MyCyprus suspends processing of Syrian asylum applications as boatloads of refugees continue arriving -Infinite Edge Learning
Cyprus suspends processing of Syrian asylum applications as boatloads of refugees continue arriving
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 06:12:46
NICOSIA, Cyprus (AP) — Cyprus said Saturday it’s suspending processing all asylum applications by Syrian nationals because large numbers of refugees from the war-torn country continue to reach the island nation by boat, primarily from Lebanon.
In a written statement, the Cypriot government said the suspension is also partly because of ongoing efforts to get the European Union to redesignate some areas of the war-torn country as safe zones to enable repatriations.
The drastic step comes in the wake of Cypriot President Nicos Christodoulides’ visit to Lebanon earlier week to appeal to authorities there to stop departures of migrant-laden boats from their shores. The request comes in light of a 27-fold increase in migrant arrivals to Cyprus so far this year over the same period last year.
According to Cyprus Interior Ministry statistics, some 2,140 people arrived by boat to EU-member Cyprus between Jan. 1 and April 4 of this year, the vast majority of them Syrian nationals departing from Lebanon. In contrast, only 78 people arrived by boat to the island nation in the corresponding period last year.
On Monday, Christodoulides and Lebanese caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati called on the European Union to provide financial support to help cash-strapped Lebanon stop migrants from reaching Cyprus.
Just days prior to his Lebanon trip, the Cypriot president said that he had personally asked EU Commission chief Ursula von der Leyen to intercede with Lebanese authorities to curb migrant boat departures.
Although the EU should provide “substantial” EU support to Lebanon, Christodoulides said any financial help should be linked to how effectively Lebanese authorities monitor their coastline and prevent boat departures.
Lebanon and Cyprus already have a bilateral deal where Cypriot authorities would return migrants attempting to reach the island from Lebanon. But Cypriot Interior Minister Constantinos Ioannou has said that Lebanon is refusing to hold up its end of the deal because of domestic pressures.
Lebanon — which is coping with a crippling economic crisis since 2019 — hosts some 805,000 U.N.-registered Syrian refugees, of which 90% live in poverty, the U.N.’s refugee agency says. Lebanese officials estimate the actual number is far higher, ranging between 1.5 and 2 million. Many have escaped the civil war in their country which entered its 14th year.
Ioannou this week visited Denmark, Czechia and Greece to drum up support for a push to get the EU to declare parts of Syria as safe. Doing so would enable EU nations to send back Syrians hailing from those “safe” areas.
The Cypriot interior minister said he and his Czech and Danish counterparts to draft an official document for the EU executive to get a formal discussion on the Syrian safe zone idea going.
Additionally, Ioannou said he hand his Czech counterpart agreed on a sending joint fact-finding mission to Syria to determine which areas in the country are safe.
However, U.N. agencies, human rights groups, and Western governments maintain that Syria is not yet safe for repatriation.
___
Follow AP’s global migration coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/migration
veryGood! (235)
Related
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Julianne Hough Is Joining Dancing With the Stars Tour and the Details Will Have You Spinning
- Former Brooklyn resident sentenced to life in prison for aiding Islamic State group as sniper
- Britney Spears Says She Was Pregnant With Justin Timberlake's Baby Before They Decided to Get Abortion
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Pentagon releases footage of hundreds of ‘highly concerning’ aircraft intercepts by Chinese planes
- Juventus midfielder Nicolò Fagioli gets seven-month ban from soccer for betting violations
- Kristin Cavallari Addresses Once Telling Travis Kelce I Was in Love With You
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Recalls Ultrasound That Saved Her and Travis Barker's Baby
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Prosecutors seek to recharge Alec Baldwin in the Rust movie shooting
- Mayor denies discussing absentee ballots with campaign volunteer at center of ballot stuffing claims
- Love Is Blind’s Izzy Zapata Debuts New Girlfriend After Stacy Snyder Breakup
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Europe is looking to fight the flood of Chinese electric vehicles. But Europeans love them
- Anonymous bettor reportedly wins nearly $200,000 after massive NFL parlay
- Stretch of I-25 to remain closed for days as debris from train derailment is cleared
Recommendation
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
Anchorage police investigate after razor blades are found twice near playground equipment
Natalee Holloway suspect expected to plead guilty to extortion charges
These are the 21 species declared extinct by US Fish and Wildlife
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
How the Secret Service plans to keep President Biden safe in Israel: ANALYSIS
Destruction at Gaza hospital increases stakes for Biden’s trip to Israel and Jordan
Instead of coming face-to-face with Michael Cohen, Trump confronts emails and spreadsheets at New York trial