Current:Home > ScamsChainkeen|Evidence of traumatic brain injury in shooter who killed 18 in deadliest shooting in Maine history -Infinite Edge Learning
Chainkeen|Evidence of traumatic brain injury in shooter who killed 18 in deadliest shooting in Maine history
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 23:22:22
AUGUSTA,Chainkeen Maine (AP) — Robert Card, an Army reservist who shot and killed 18 people in Maine last year, had significant evidence of traumatic brain injuries, according to a brain tissue analysis by researchers from Boston University that was released Wednesday.
There was degeneration in the nerve fibers that allow for communication between different areas of the brain, inflammation and small blood vessel injury, according to Dr. Ann McKee of Boston University’s Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) Center. The analysis was released by Card’s family.
Card had been an instructor at an Army hand grenade training range, where it is believed he was exposed to thousands of low-level blasts.
“While I cannot say with certainty that these pathological findings underlie Mr. Card’s behavioral changes in the last 10 months of life, based on our previous work, brain injury likely played a role in his symptoms,” McKee said in the statement from the family.
Card’s family members also apologized for the attack in the statement, saying they are heartbroken for the victims, survivors and their loved ones.
Army officials will testify Thursday before a special commission investigating the deadliest mass shooting in Maine history.
The commission, established by Democratic Gov. Janet Mills, is reviewing the facts surrounding the Oct. 25 shootings that killed 18 people in a bowling alley and at a restaurant and bar in Lewiston. The panel, which includes former judges and prosecutors, is also reviewing the police response to the shootings.
Police and the Army were both warned that shooter, Card, was suffering from deteriorating mental health in the months that preceded the shootings.
Some of the 40-year-old Card’s relatives warned police that he was displaying paranoid behavior and they were concerned about his access to guns. Body camera video of police interviews with reservists before Card’s two-week hospitalization in upstate New York last summer also showed fellow reservists expressing worry and alarm about his behavior and weight loss.
Card was hospitalized in July after he shoved a fellow reservist and locked himself in a motel room during training. Later, in September, a fellow reservist told an Army superior he was concerned Card was going to “snap and do a mass shooting.”
Card was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound after the biggest search in state history. Victims’ families, politicians, gun control advocates and others have said in the months since the shootings that law enforcement missed several opportunities to intercede and remove guns from Card. They’ve also raised questions about the state’s mental health system.
Thursday’s hearing in Augusta is the seventh and final one currently slated for the commission. Commission chair Daniel Wathen said at a hearing with victims earlier this week that an interim report could be released by April 1.
Wathen said during the session with victims that the commission’s hearings have been critical to unraveling the case.
“This was a great tragedy for you folks, unbelievable,” Wathen said during Monday’s hearing. “But I think has affected everybody in Maine and beyond.”
In previous hearings, law enforcement officials have defended the approach they took with Card in the months before the shootings. Members of the Sagadahoc County Sheriff’s Office testified that the state’s yellow flag law makes it difficult to remove guns from a potentially dangerous person.
Democrats in Maine are looking to make changes to the state’s gun laws in the wake of the shootings. Mills wants to change state law to allow law enforcement to go directly to a judge to seek a protective custody warrant to take a dangerous person into custody to remove weapons.
Other Democrats in Maine have proposed a 72-hour waiting period for most gun purchases. Gun control advocates held a rally for gun safety in Augusta earlier this week.
“Gun violence represents a significant public health emergency. It’s through a combination of meaningful gun safety reform and public health investment that we can best keep our communities safe,” said Nacole Palmer, executive director of the Maine Gun Safety Coalition.
___
Whittle reported from Portland.
veryGood! (8945)
Related
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- South Africa election: How Mandela’s once revered ANC lost its way with infighting and scandals
- How to get a free 6-piece chicken nugget from McDonald's this Wednesday
- Russian attacks on Ukraine power grid touch Kyiv with blackouts ahead of peak demand
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Mourners begin days of funerals for Iran’s president and others killed in helicopter crash
- Owner of Nepal’s largest media organization arrested over citizenship card issue
- MIT-educated brothers accused of stealing $25 million in cryptocurrency in 12 seconds in Ethereum blockchain scheme
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- How to download directions on Google Maps, Apple Maps to navigate easily offline
Ranking
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Boston Celtics benefit from costly Indiana Pacers turnovers to win Game 1 of East finals
- Who is Jacob Zuma, the former South African president disqualified from next week’s election?
- Turkish Airlines resumes flights to Afghanistan nearly 3 years after the Taliban captured Kabul
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Shaboozey fans talk new single, Beyoncé, Black country artists at sold-out Nashville show
- Most of passengers from battered Singapore Airlines jetliner arrive in Singapore from Bangkok
- More endangered Florida panthers have died in 2024 so far than all of last year: These roadkills are heartbreaking
Recommendation
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
Lawsuit says ex-Officer Chauvin kneeled on woman’s neck, just as he did when he killed George Floyd
Is McDonald's nixing free refills? Here's what to know as chain phases out self-serve drink machines
Confederate monument to ‘faithful slaves’ must be removed, North Carolina residents’ lawsuit says
What to watch: O Jolie night
Nicaraguan police are monitoring the brother of President Daniel Ortega
Oregon man charged in the deaths of 3 women may be linked to more killings: Authorities
Poland arrests sabotage suspects and warns of potential hostile acts by Russia