Current:Home > ScamsEchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|A 15-year-old sentenced to state facility for youths for role in Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl rally -Infinite Edge Learning
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|A 15-year-old sentenced to state facility for youths for role in Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl rally
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:10:33
KANSAS CITY,EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center Mo. (AP) — A 15-year-old who was among those charged with opening fire during the Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl rally has been sentenced to a state facility for youths.
“That is not who I am,” the teen, who was referred to as R.G. in court documents, said at Thursday’s hearing. He described himself as a good kid before he became associated with a group of peers involved in the Feb. 14 shooting, The Kansas City Star reported.
The host of a local radio program was killed, 25 were wounded and 69 others sustained other injuries, such as broken bones and dislocated joints, as they fled, Kansas City police detective Grant Spiking testified.
Jackson County prosecutors have alleged that the shooting was set off during an altercation between two groups. Lyndell Mays, one of the three men facing a murder charge in the death of Lisa Lopez Galvan, is accused of being the first person to start firing.
After that, R.G. began to shoot toward Mays and hit another person in his own group, Dominic Miller, who also is charged with murder, said Spiking.
“You made some bad choices, but that doesn’t make you a bad person, it doesn’t make you a bad kid,” Jackson County Family Court Administrative Judge Jennifer Phillips said during a proceeding similar to a sentencing hearing in adult court.
A commitment at a state Department of Youth Services facility typically lasts 9 to 12 months, a deputy juvenile officer with Jackson County Circuit Court said.
Earlier this month, Phillips accepted the teen’s admission that he committed the charge of unlawful use of a weapon by knowingly discharging or firing a firearm at a person.
The Jackson County Juvenile Officer’s office, which oversees youth cases, dismissed a second charge, armed criminal action, and agreed to not go through the certification process that could see his case sent to adult court.
Jon Bailey, the teen’s attorney, requested he be released on an intensive supervision program and house arrest with a condition of no social media use.
“Our house is not a home without him,” the teen’s mother told Phillips.
But an attorney representing the juvenile office argued that time in the youth facility would help separate him from any negative peer influences.
Two other teens have been charged in the shooting. Phillips ruled last month that one of them will not face prosecution as an adult, and the other one was detained on gun-related charges that don’t rise to the level of being tried as an adult.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- KC Current owners announce plans for stadium district along the Kansas City riverfront
- America’s child care crisis is holding back moms without college degrees
- Youth group, environmental organizations sue Maine for action on climate
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Trump could avoid trial this year on 2020 election charges. Is the hush money case a worthy proxy?
- PEN America calls off awards ceremony amid criticism over its response to Israel-Hamas war
- Why Anne Hathaway Says Kissing Actors in Chemistry Tests Was So Gross
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Meet California's Toy Man, a humble humanitarian who's brought joy to thousands of kids
Ranking
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Owen Wilson and His Kids Make Rare Public Appearance at Soccer Game in Los Angeles
- Movies for Earth Day: 8 films to watch to honor the planet (and where to stream them)
- Tesla cuts prices around the globe amid slowing demand for its EVs
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Man charged with hate crime for vandalizing Islamic center at Rutgers, prosecutors say
- A retirement expense of $413,000 you'll need to be prepared for
- Oklahoma police say 5 found dead in home, including 2 children
Recommendation
Sam Taylor
Trump’s $175 million bond in New York civil fraud judgment case is settled with cash promise
Several Alabama elementary students hospitalized after van crashes into tree
Suspect arrested in break-in at Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass’s home, police say
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
California legislators prepare to vote on a crackdown on utility spending
Celine Dion talks accepting stiff person syndrome diagnosis, first meeting husband at 12
MLB power rankings: The futile Chicago White Sox are the worst team in baseball ... by far