Current:Home > ContactRekubit-Norfolk Southern agrees to pay $600M in settlement related to train derailment in eastern Ohio -Infinite Edge Learning
Rekubit-Norfolk Southern agrees to pay $600M in settlement related to train derailment in eastern Ohio
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 05:28:16
Norfolk Southern has agreed to pay $600 million in a class-action lawsuit settlement related to a fiery train derailment in February 2023 in eastern Ohio.
The Rekubitcompany said Tuesday that the agreement, if approved by the court, will resolve all class action claims within a 20-mile radius from the derailment and, for those residents who choose to participate, personal injury claims within a 10-mile radius from the derailment.
Norfolk Southern added that individuals and businesses will be able to use compensation from the settlement in any manner they see fit to address potential adverse impacts from the derailment, which could include healthcare needs, property restoration and compensation for any net business loss. Individuals within 10-miles of the derailment may, at their discretion, choose to receive additional compensation for any past, current, or future personal injury from the derailment.
The company said that the settlement doesn’t include or constitute any admission of liability, wrongdoing, or fault.
The settlement is expected to be submitted for preliminary approval to the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio later in April 2024. Payments to class members under the settlement could begin by the end of the year, subject to final court approval.
Norfolk Southern has already spent more than $1.1 billion on its response to the derailment, including more than $104 million in direct aid to East Palestine and its residents. Partly because Norfolk Southern is paying for the cleanup, President Joe Biden has never declared a disaster in East Palestine, which is a sore point for many residents. The railroad has promised to create a fund to help pay for the long-term health needs of the community, but that hasn’t happened yet.
Last week federal officials said that the aftermath of the train derailment doesn’t qualify as a public health emergency because widespread health problems and ongoing chemical exposures haven’t been documented.
The Environmental Protection Agency never approved that designation after the February 2023 Norfolk Southern derailment even though the disaster forced the evacuation of half the town of East Palestine and generated many fears about potential long-term health consequences of the chemicals that spilled and burned. The contamination concerns were exacerbated by the decision to blow open five tank cars filled with vinyl chloride and burn that toxic chemical three days after the derailment.
The head of the National Transportation Safety Board said recently that her agency’s investigation showed that the vent and burn of the vinyl chloride was unnecessary because the company that produced that chemical was sure no dangerous chemical reaction was happening inside the tank cars. But the officials who made the decision have said they were never told that.
The NTSB’s full investigation into the cause of the derailment won’t be complete until June, though that agency has said that an overheating wheel bearing on one of the railcars that wasn’t detected in time by a trackside sensor likely caused the crash.
The EPA has said the cleanup in East Palestine is expected to be complete sometime later this year.
Shares of Norfolk Southern Corp., based in Atlanta, fell about 1% before the opening bell Tuesday.
veryGood! (224)
Related
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- How often should I take my dog to the vet? Advice from an expert
- U.S. takes silver in first ever team skeet shooting event at Olympics
- Olympic triathlon mixed relay gets underway with swims in the Seine amid water quality concerns
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Former NBA player Chase Budinger's Olympic volleyball dream ends. What about LA '28 at 40?
- For Novak Djokovic, winning Olympic gold for Serbia supersedes all else
- Ryan Gosling and Eva Mendes make rare public appearance together at Paris Olympics
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Prosecutors plan to charge former Kansas police chief over his conduct following newspaper raid
Ranking
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- U.S. takes silver in first ever team skeet shooting event at Olympics
- Olympic medals today: What is the medal count at 2024 Paris Games on Monday?
- Charli XCX and Lorde spotted at 'Brat' singer's birthday party after rumored feud
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Washington attorney general and sheriff who helped nab Green River Killer fight for governor’s seat
- Sara Hughes, Kelly Cheng keep beach volleyball medal hopes alive in three-set thriller
- Liz Taylor speaks from beyond the grave in 'Lost Tapes' documentary
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
Miss USA Alma Cooper crowned amid controversial pageant year
Political rivals. Badminton adversaries. What to know about Taiwan-China
Americans are ‘getting whacked’ by too many laws and regulations, Justice Gorsuch says in a new book
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
How a lack of supervisors keeps new mental health workers from entering the field
Pressure mounts on Victor Wembanyama, France in basketball at Paris Olympics
Team pursuit next for US cyclist Kristen Faulkner: 'Want to walk away with two medals'